Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

Feeding for 1-2 hours at a time - is this normal?

Hi, my little boy is just over 3 weeks old and he is feeding for 1-2 hours at a time. The last few days it has been for 2 hours. Is this normal? It seems that by the time he has finished feeding he then only sleeps for half an hour sometimes and wakes up to feed again. A few people have said that he may be having a growth spurt but he has been doing this for quite a few days now. He does sleep better during the night, most of the time for about 3 hours at a time. I feel like all I am doing is feeding him constantly. I know it won't last forever but at the moment it is really getting me down. Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• hiya mrs mcandie, in a nutshell- yes its normal!!! lo isnt getting much milk after the initial gulping etc so prob after half hour or so, he is flutter sucking or sucking for comfort. my lo's both did this, my mw told me they shouldnt and i should put them down. however, who wants to sit looking at their baby crying?? i ignored them (both times told the same thing!) and let them feed whenever and for however long they wanted! they need that comfort, they like being close to you, and it doesnt last long, so make the most of those long cuddles and snuggle up together. i loved it and now i only get 5 mn feeds with my 9 month old!
    he will settle into more regular feeds in his own time- prob around 6-8 weeks
    xxxx
  • Thanks for your replies, he seems to have settled down a bit again now and is feeding for about an hour or less. We decided to use top him up with some formula to give me a break and let hubbie feed him which seems to be working quite well too. I can already see a bit of a pattern forming with his feeding and I'm sure in no time he will be in more of a routine.