Forum home Babies Baby

Narrow Pubic Arch - Does anyone have this?

Hi ladies,

I hope you're all well!

I was speaking to my midwife about my notes from my last birth and we were talking about my 'narrow pubic arch'. This wasn't discovered until I was in labour last time and I had such a a tough time giving birth, by the time they realised I had been trying to push for hours. Baby's heartbeat suddenly dropped so they were all talking of c-section then a doctor came in and tried Ventouse and she finally came out.

I remember them telling me about this but was obviously in too much pain to think about it but i've recently googled it and it looks awful. It says that most babies end up with head and shoulder injuries, and one said that they had to break her babies shoulder to get it out.

I was just wondering if anyone had an elective c-section because of this, or if you were even given the option to have a normal delivery?

Thank you so much xx

Replies

• hi hun, never experienced this but you can speak to a consultant and discuss your birth options, they won't let you give birth naturally if it will cause problems to you or your baby, or they may discuss inducing early so the baby isn't too big? Really not sure hun, i would speak to your midwife again about it. Best wishes x
  • hi hun, never experienced this but you can speak to a consultant and discuss your birth options, they won't let you give birth naturally if it will cause problems to you or your baby, or they may discuss inducing early so the baby isn't too big? Really not sure hun, i would speak to your midwife again about it. Best wishes x
  • Hi

I agree with el pinko and would discuss it with your midwife.

I had problems with my baby's heartrate first time round. I had been induced and had a reaction to the pessary and they put it down to the fact that the contractions were running into one and said it probably sent my baby into distress. I also nearly ended up with an assisted delivery because of the problems with her heartrate. Luckily managed to squeeze her out before ending up in theatre.

Second time round I wasn't induced and again there were problems with the baby's heartrate. I had her at home and thankfully we managed to rectify it by getting me into a semi standing position (sitting on OH's lap). Because it had happened before my midwife said it was probably due to the shape of my pelvis squeezing my babies but as we had managed to sort it by changing positions second time round there is no reason for me personally not to try for a natural birth again. I also had relatively small babies 6lb 11oz and 6lb 9pz. If they had been any bigger it may well have been a different scenario and assistance may have been needed.

Definitely talk your midwife about it and tell her your concerns and find out what your options are.
  • Thank you ladies,

Gosh Teenytiny, you had a time of it didn't you! It's so scary isn't it.

I've been reading more on google and everything is starting to make sense.

She was breech until about 37 weeks then her head would never engage. She was back to back and didn't engage until the last minute.

I was induced too and I never thought about it but they never burst my waters and instead they burst just before I started pushing (20 hours after induction) which sounds like they knew something was wrong from what i've just read.
  • I am not built for big babies (although I am in no way petite ) as I also tore both times - 3rd degree with the first and second degree with the second.

I have to say it was very scary when I was in hospital - alarms going off, the room filled with people and I was put in stirrups etc. My husband was terrified. I was told to get her out now and was pushing before I think I was ready. It was all a bit of a shock and no one explained to me anything until after.

Second time the midwife was so calm. I was in the bath when her heartrate started dropping. Their was no panic. She asked me to get out. We went into my bedroom and I got on all fours, no improvement. It was then that I could tell that there was some concern but the midwife was still so calm which was good as it meant neither me nor hubby panicked. So that's when she told hubby to sit on the bed and me to sit on his lap and thankfully her heartrate then returned to normal and very shortly after I felt the urge to push. My midwife was really experienced and absolutely fantastic.

Definitely talk through your concerns with your midwife as you don't want to be going into labour worrying.