Forum home General Chat General chat

Has anyone heard of lotus birth?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_Birth

Saw it on a home birth programme and wondered if people had heard of it and what they thought.

Replies

• HI JULIE

HAVE HEARD OF IT BUT WOULDNT NO WHAT TO DO,THE CLAMP OF THE CORD IS PROBABLY SO COMMON TO US THAT LEAVING THE HOLE THIN IN TACK(SO TO SPEAK)WOULD PROBABLY SEEM WEIRD.

EMMA XX
  • Hey ulie have looked on labour ans birth chat room,the BBC are looking for parents that have eaten thir afterbirth or are going to,how weird is that you putting this up and that going on this afternoon.
  • Ooooh i couldnt eat it - would feel like cannibalism lol. The same show I saw the lotus birth thing on had people using string to tie the cord instead of clamping it. The advantages are it doesnt catch on nappies and clothes like the clamp does. The women it showed made bands with embroidery thread to tie it with. I think thats a really good idea - I still have Adams clamp but think a nice hand made band would be much nicer to keep and pass on so think thats what I'll do next time.

Back to lotus - one of the arguments I read about was that the baby still gets blood and nutrients from the cord as its drying out which would be a plus (if its right - I doubt theres any studies been done but then that doesnt mean it should be dismissed altogether.
    Another was that its easier for the baby to seperate gradually and naturally after the shock of being born - that would make sense and would also be compatible with ap theory and philosophy. It was interesting actually as when I was watching the programme with the cord being tied and then cut the baby it showed got quite distressed as it was being done even though they didnt pull at it or move it in anyway. Made me think that although there arent any nerves in it does the baby still experience something as the bond to it is broken.

It would worry me that it would interfere with skin to skin contact in the early days which is why I wouldnt personally do it. However i do find it interesting and whilst my first reaction was 'eurgh - why?' after reading about it I'm a bit more comfortable with the idea (just not for me). I also think I will delay the cutting of the cord for as long as possible after I have my next baby. Definetly till after the placenta has been delivered when I will tie it with a nice bit of hand embroidered string lol.