Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

1st birthday cake recipes and ideas

After seeing El Pinko's amazing Fairy castle cake for Molly's 1st Birthday, and I remember I Love my Geek and Bedhead posting great pics of their cakes too. I've decided I should give it a go too.

I'm quite a good cook but an average baker. So not sure where to start, don't even own a cake tin !!

So if you have any ideas for an easy cake for a boy's 1st birthday, or know of any recipe sites (with pictures) that would be great. If not I'll have to buy one from M&S and pass it off as my own, lol !
Suz x

Replies

• image thanks Suz, mine was 2 Victoria Sandwich Cakes, one cut smaller than the other. I used 2 sandwich cake tins which were ??2 each from Tesco and then made the mixture twice, didn't want to double it because i was worried i wouldn't be able to work out half the quantity and then half again for filling both tins..? :lol:

The recipe i have is -

175g soft butter (i heated some in the microwave for a few seconds)
    175g caster sugar
    3 eggs
    175g self raising flour
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder

Filling

4 tbsp raspberry (or strawberry) jam.

Lightly grease the tins

Combine all the cake ingredients in a large bowl. Beat well for about 2 minutes until smooth.

Divide the mixture between tins and level out.

Bake in preheated oven at 180 oC for about 25 mins or until well risen, golden and springy to the touch.

Turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool

Sandwich the 2 cakes together with jam.

Decorate with butter icing.

Not sure about themes but hope the recipe helps.

Will have a browse for cake sites... x x
  • hi hun, i used this website for lolah's 1st birthday cake- it was delicious and really easy to make- delivery was very quick too. i made the castle cake for her.
    http://www.partypieces.co.uk/category/party+food_birthday+cakes_birthday+cake+kits.htm
  • As I knew me and oh would be eating the cake. I amde a lovely moist rich fruit cake. I then did the usual marzipan and icing. The icing was green. I then made the hungry caterpillar on top.
    Nothing as fancy as el pinko, but i didnt ahve the time!