Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09

Injections! - Post your babies reactions so we can compare

I looked at a post on baby which said their babies werent any different after their jabs so i'd be interested to hear everyone elses experiences! If you post your babies reactions to their jabs we can compare them. This is what happened when Bertie had his first set at 9 wks;

We went for his injections thurs afternoon and im not kidding I was crying in the waiting room - what a loser. I couldnt help it I heard the baby before screaming and I looked at Bertie fast asleep with his dummy moving up and down and the next thing I knew tears were running down my face, I wiped my eyes and made sure my mascara wasnt smudged and I dont think anyone noticed.

He had his injections one on each leg and screamed so loud and was then sobbing, it was heart breaking. He then had bottle and fell asleep. When I got home I transferred him to his moses basket and Mum said there is something wrong as he looks weird. I looked at him and his eyes were half open and he was staring ahead so very still, I thought shit whats wrong and put my hand on his chest to move him and he seemed to snap out of it. It freaked me out, I thought he was dead!

After a little sleep he woke up and was fine, he had his bath and a bottle but then all hell broke lose. For the next 24 hours he was so clingy. He would fall asleep in my arms but whenever I put him down he would wait 5mins and cry, the only way we got any sleep at all thurs night was by having him in bed with me. Ive barely been able to put him down at all and weve noticed that its not just being picked up he wants its being picked up by me! Whenever I pass him to mum or Luke to hold he starts screaming. Im not sure if hes still feeling poorly or insecure and he will snap out of it in a few days or if he is just turning into a little bugger!

I gave him calpol for 24 hours in case he was in pain and luckily when I put him into his cot at bedtime last night he settled himself and it all went pretty smoothly. Im dreading his next batch in four wks! Luke said Bertie may just be afraid that when he goes to sleep someone is going to come along a stick another needle in him! Who knows!

Anyway ive officially lost the plot as Luke woke me in the night last night coz I was rocking - and no I was not holding the baby at the time :lol:

Gxx

[Modified by: GeorgieD on 10 October 2009 09:04:01 ]

Replies

• Good idea, Joe hasn't had jabs yets but I have been doing some research on www.jabs.org.uk

Its quite scary, will next week :0(
  • Haiden's jabs were at 8 weeks 1 day. She weas awake when the nurse did it, and I started crying as soon as the nurse said some mum's cry, even before she had done them! Haiden screamed and cried and I gave her a big cuddle. She would calm down a bit but as the injection sites were bleeding and had to be wiped, each time they were she cried more

I took her to my mums and she slept for a few hours. When she woke up she wouldn't stop crying which is not like her at all, she is not a crier. Gave her some Calpol and a bottle and she slept again. She cried for a while again when she woke. Later that night she was still grotty so gave her more Calpol and after that she was fine xx
  • Mine had their first ones 2 weeks ago,they screamed for ten minutes but were absolutely fine after that,I gave them one dose of calpol just in case but they didn't act differently at all. They have their next ones in 2 weeks so fingers crossed they react as well next time! xx
  • This is a good post.

I was very brave I wanted to cry but I held it in which I was shocked about LOL

Rose was awake when they did it and was all smiles she sat out facing the nurse and as soon as the first one went into leg she flinched so hard it did break my heart my mum said her face was so sad she looked right at my mum as if to say what are you doing to me.

They did the second one really fast and then she cried and I held her for a bit and she was fine. I got her into the car seat and half way home she freaked out, she was sweating and crying so hard. I gfot home and held and she fell asleep she was asleep for ages.

Woke up and has been fine the only thing that was different is she has been sick after every fed and she is never sick,

That has mostly stopped now so I hope she is ok.

K xx
  • Ella had her injections at 8 weeks 6 days.
    She was absolutely fine, when she was getting checked over by the dr she started to cry for her feed. By the time we got to the nurse she was really crying for a feed. With both jabs she screamed so loud poor thing, I almost cried but held it in, I felt so sick. She was very worked up but was happy once she had her bottle. Apart from that Ella was fine and back to normal straight after.
    I think If she wasnt hungry she would have been better with them.

Not looking forward to the next lot xxx
  • William had his injections at 8weeks 5 days. i'd read if they have the pcv second its not as bad so thats what i requested. he was awake and was fine with the first one but with the second his face went bright red and he cried! i then breast fed him and he was fine. he slept for a few hours then once he woke seemed niggly but not in any pain as was smiling and laughing but everytime i tried to put him down he would cry but he eventually settled at 10.30pm. he slept then till his morning feed. weve been quite lucky as hes been sleeping for 7-8hrs at night since 8 weeks. xx
  • Good thread Georgie...

Jack had his first jabs this morning and apart from yelping with the first and giving a couple of hearty cries after the 2nd, he has been fine. I on the other hand had tears in my eyes and a HUGE lump in my throat.

He's sitting in his rocker chair laughing at MTV at the moment, kicking his legs with a plaster in each of his chubby thighs - the nurse did say it's easier if they have chubby thighs than if they're skinny. Brad was very skinny and I remember he screamed and sobbed for hours after so think Jack has been better as he has a LOT more padding! lol

He was sleepy straight after and has been asleep most of the afternoon but often does anyway so luckily no bad response - so far....

Going to keep a close eye on him and got the calpol at the ready! lol

Kirsty xxx
  • Alfie has had to have the BCG vaccine (hubby's dad suffered from TB within the last year). He had this last wk when he was exactly 8wk old.
    As the Dr inserted the needle into his arm I saw Alfie's face change and his bottom lip started trembling and then he started with tears.... as did I! I couldn't help it!
    He was fine afterwards though but did seem slightly more clingy than usual. Otherwise he was fine.
    I'm dreading his other jabs which he's having next wk when he'll be 9+6wks. I might make hubby go alone, I'm far too emotional!
    Kirsty - Alfie has chunky, jobba thighs so hopefully won't be too bad for him. (Alfie likes the music channels too!).
    I have Calpol ready and I'll update when he has his main vaccs.

Shell xx

UPDATED
    Alfie had his injections today and it was soooo heartbreaking! I did go but hubby came with me and it was him who held Alfie. The first needle went in and a second or so later he face just screwed up, went bright red and he screamed like I've never heard before. Tears were flooding down his cheeks and we were both sobbing!
    Same happened with the next needle in his other leg and he screamed so high pitched, you'd think he was having his leg sawn off! It was awful. He then sobbed on & off for the next hour or so in between dozing. His crying was different, you could tell he was in pain and it was throbbing so we gave him calpol. He's pretty much slept since getting home but has fed very well and more often than usual.
    I don't think I'll go for his next set of injections. Hubby can do the deed!

[Modified by: floss78 on October 29, 2009 09:30 PM]

• Lucy has had her 2 sets of injections now.

The first one was at 8 weeks 2 days. The HV came out to the waiting room and said wake her up, its best to do it when she is awake. So I did and then 5 mins later we got called in.

The first needle went in she was staring right at me and then her bottom lip started to quiver I quickly changed sides so they could do the 2nd one and then the screaming started. She was really sobing and for the first time had proper tears (poor soul).

She was fine within 10 mins and for the rest of the day she was just her normal self. She did sleep a little more than normal but that would have been the calpol that did that to her.

Her 2nd lot where last week when she was 12 weeks and 3 days. Again I woke her before we went in, she was all smiles and talking away to me, but as soon as she got the first injection she screamed and with the 2nd one she was even worse. I couldn't get her to stop crying it took me about 20 mins to calm her down. She was fine for the rest of the day.

I dont know if this has anything to do with it, but with her first set I gave her calpol half an hour before we went to the doctors (HV advise) but I forgot to do it with the 2nd one.

I am really not looking forward to her 3rd (last set until she's 1) as its not 2 but 3 injections.

xx
  • I thought I'd be fine but when Fraser cried I cried too. What made it worse was that it was the first time he ever had tears in his eyes. He soon cheered up though and was fine after. xxx
  • Well my Lily has a problem with the surgery building - no seriously!! We live just round the corner from the docs so I decided to walk her round there carrying her ( I usually push pram round for health clinic days). As soon as I walked through the main door, she started crying, by the time we were called for her check with the doc, she was proper crying and wailing! She cried all through her check, then we had to go back to reception to wait for the nurse. She briefly quietened as they have a rag doll hanging on the wall at the desk which mesmerised her. We walked back up the corridor to the nurses room, and she was crying again. The nurse was quite flustered ( so was I, I felt quite stressed by then!) She did the first injection and Lily shut up instantly! Trouble was the second one started her off again! She cried all the way back through the surgery, and stopped as soon as we got into the street! I gave her some Calpol at home and she slept for the rest of the day really, apart from feeding and some cuddles. I think I might have to change surgerys if she keeps it up, as she does it on clinic days too!

Lisa & Lily xx
  • Isabelle had her 8 weeks ones today at exactly 8 weeks.

She had been awake most of the morning, then had 5 mins in the pram as we walked down to the docs, and was happy and smiley as usual. Had all her checks no probs then went down to the nurse and started whingeing as soon as we went in, (I think she knew we were going to do something bad, or sensed my nerves more probably)

Went tomato red and screamed with the first, but calmed down very quickly, 2nd one screamed and the cried for a good ten mins and went very pale, but slept in the pram and had half an hour until we got home, woke up and barely fed, just wanted comforting, and fell asleep an hour ago. Tried giving her some Calpol but she hated it and spat it all out after gagging on it!

So she woke at 6pm and screamed for half an hour, really really big tears and her leg was hot and red, so I put a cool flannel on it and she had some Calpol at this point, still didn't feed until 8pm by which point her eyes were really sunken and she was grey again, but this was just lack of food I am sure as she had had so little from 1pm. Settled again, and at 10pm woke and had lovely smiley Isabelle back, slept as usual at night, and is fine this morning!

Only issue is that my MIL is on immuno supressants and the nurse should have asked about this as Isabelle could potentially make her very ill so I am waiting for NHS direct to ring us back as our practice nurse only works Mon and Fri! Also hubbies cousin is having regualr chemo for Hodgkins so we knew we would have to avoid him :roll:

Bets XxX

[Modified by: betsyboo on October 27, 2009 10:47 AM]

• Holly is having hers tomorrow and im dreading it, i'll update tomorrow. Great thread, nice having some idea of what to expect
  • Sophie had her first ones last Thursday at 8 weeks 3 days. She was awake and quite happy at the surgery. My hubby had taken a long lunch hour (more for moral support for me as I hate needles!) I didn't want to pass on my fear so he held her while the HV did the necessary and I cried in a corner. Her wee face just crumpled when the vaccine was being pushed in although she didn't seem to bother at the initial jab. She sobbed and sobbed for about 10 mins then flaked out. She continued to be really sleepy all through Thurs and Fri and was acted quite "stoned" when she was awake. She is always kicking her legs out and that seemed to be uncomfortable for her initially but after a bath she was fine. Think the warm water soothed her leg muscles. She didn't seem to be hurting so I didn't want to give her calpol and add to the stoned effect!
  • Aw Roxy just had hewr jabs today and she was really brave bless her. She fell asleep while in the waiting room at the doctors then obviously woke up when the first jab went in but didn't cry much, but when the second one went in she cried loads but only for about 10 seconds because she stopped as soon as i put her to my chest.
    Our problems seem to be now as she's really groggy and grumpy, she just wants to be held. Also she won't stop eating, don't know if thats a normal side effect?!

I might try some Calpol later x
  • Lucy has had her 2 sets of injections now.

The first one was at 8 weeks 2 days. The HV came out to the waiting room and said wake her up, its best to do it when she is awake. So I did and then 5 mins later we got called in.

The first needle went in she was staring right at me and then her bottom lip started to quiver I quickly changed sides so they could do the 2nd one and then the screaming started. She was really sobing and for the first time had proper tears (poor soul).

She was fine within 10 mins and for the rest of the day she was just her normal self. She did sleep a little more than normal but that would have been the calpol that did that to her.

Her 2nd lot where last week when she was 12 weeks and 3 days. Again I woke her before we went in, she was all smiles and talking away to me, but as soon as she got the first injection she screamed and with the 2nd one she was even worse. I couldn't get her to stop crying it took me about 20 mins to calm her down. She was fine for the rest of the day.

I dont know if this has anything to do with it, but with her first set I gave her calpol half an hour before we went to the doctors (HV advise) but I forgot to do it with the 2nd one.

I am really not looking forward to her 3rd (last set until she's 1) as its not 2 but 3 injections.

xx

the reason she cried so much with second lot is one injection is men c and this actually really stings xx
  • BebeAna had her 1st jabs yesterday. I gave her calpol 30 mins before injection. She screamed but calmed instantly within a minute.

She slept straight away (was due sleep) and woke very happy, fed normally and was fine.

Today, she has not been settling to sleep, so this morning i gave her calpol. She seems to be ok, feeding normally. No temp.

xxx
  • Bertie had his second jabs last week, like MKB this time he had Calpol half hour before. He screamed when it happened and then calmed down and went to sleep. What always worries me is when he first calms down he stares straight ahead and goes very still, its scary as I think something is seriously wrong with him.

He was fine for the rest of the day though!

One more set to go at four months, this time they do two injections in one leg and one in the other. Not looking forward to that one

Gxx
  • georgie - i am dreading them again and ..again!

Bebe was ok - but was quite unhappy the next day funny enough.

Dreading the Men C jab as nurse says the jab stings (the others dont)....did Bertie react any differently to this jab?

xxxx
  • I have a very strong willed little madam who always makes sure everyone knows if she isn't happy! ... so was dreading the injections. Have had both the 8 and 12 week set done now and she was just fine! I was so shocked. She just squealed as the needle went in then stopped immediately. Slept for 2 hours afterwards both times too, bliss! And this from the baby that screamed the place down during her docs check up! x