Forum home Babies Baby

Avent or Tommy Tippee?

Hi ladies

I'm planning to breast feed but would like to express as well after BF is established. I am buying a Medela swing pump and my question is which bottles and steriliser I should go for - Avent or Tommy Tippee seem to be the main options.

Can anyone recommend or comment on what I should go for?

Thanks!

Peeptoe 34+6

Replies

• right, well ive had both, so..

- avent.... great bottles really good, the only trick with them is you have to make sure the teat is in correctly otherwise it dribbles down baby! but its not a major problem. and the teats come in a massive range of good sizes. the electric steam sterilizer is brilliant. cant fault it at all!! its great!

tommee tippee...
    the bottles, although they are natural feeling, arent the greatest, the teats tend to get sucked in when babys drinking hard. and there is only 3 teat sizes. i had a tomme tippee microwave sterilizer, and that was good, but nothing compared to the avent. also, a strange problem with the bottles are, if ur out and ask for hot water to warm milk, you can find that because they are so wide they dont fit in the container that places offer you!

hope this helps!! xx
  • ive used both makes of bottles and sterilisers and would def reccomend the tt bottles and microwave steriliser. xxx
  • Split down the middle! I guess it's just a case of seeing what suits. Thanks
  • Avent all the way for me!! They can leak a little but as long as you make sure the teat's in properly and the top's tightly screwed on you're laughing. Didn't get on with TT at all though now the kids are older I love their beakers etc!!
  • I have only used TT steriliser and have no issues! Re the bottles, my lo has tried both and couldn't get on with avent so we use TT. I should have shares in TT the amount of their stuff I have! Lol image
  • I used both and hated the Avent! Our LO gets on so so much better with the TT ones! x
  • I am exactly like you!

I am exclusively breastfeeding but express one bottle a day so LO gets used to a bottle for when I go out without her.

I was given a Avent steriliser from my sister so bought Avent bottles too. Isabel was fine with them for the first week then screamed the house down! I then used Tommee Tippee ones and she loves them! Screams if I take it off her!!! I still use the Avent steriliser with the TT bottles. I would defo recommend the TT bottles.

Just a note of caution - get your LO on bottles as quick as you can - I started Isabel on a bottle of expressed once a day from 2 1/2 weeks and she took to it fine. A girl from my NCT group waited until her baby was 6 weeks - as recommended by her HV and he wont take to the bottle at all!!

Hope that helps!

xx
  • TT all the way, tried avent for ds1 & had no end of problems but using TT for ds2 & he loves them, am having no probs weaning him of breast to them!
  • i used to use both found avent increased amelias colic but tt didnt help much either and some off the bottles would go a bit yuck after a while with tt, but i also found avent go off colour. i now use MAM bottles and they are the best in my opinion once i put amelia on them her colic cleared up and u can get dummies (if your going to use them) the same shape as teat which is brilliant as amelia likes a teat for comfort and would want a bottle just to suck teat not drink so dummies are great.

Basically i would not use tt or avent again but thats just my opinion. i do however use tt electrical steam sterilser and its fab.
  • Thanks for everyone's input. Sounds like it really will be trial and error and I may have to try every brand known to man! I just really didn't want to outlay loads on a steriliser only to find I had to change brands and the new brand bottles wouldn't fit the steriliser but it seems these can be pretty interchangeable?

Mrs Bammy that was really interesting about getting the baby on to bottles ASAP. I have only ever read that it is better to get BF well established first in case they won't go back to the breast which is harder work. Looks like I'll need to do some more research!

Thanks everyone
  • I use TT bottles in an Avent sterliiser x
  • I've used both Avent and TT. We found the Avent rubbish and after a couple of weeks use kept leaking,
    TT (closer to nature) were tons better and baby prefers them.

• We used both and TT our lo did not want to drink from. No matter how hungry he was, he was not taking the bottle. The few times he did take it he only drunk half an oz before screaming. We used the avent ones without problems for a few weeks, but than he also started to refuse them. He is now on dr Brown bottles for about 4 months and we haven't looked back. He is taking them without problem and drinking loads out of them. Only downside is that they don't go any further than 8oz. image

We gave lo a bottle from birth, even though I was planning on breastfeeding. Breastfeeding was difficult and with lo being jaundiced we decided I would express and give it to him in a bottle. After a week I switched to completely breastfeeding with one bottle in the evening. Our lo had no problems switching in between them. He had no nipple confusion and seemed to have a bit more problems on a bottle than on the breast.
  • Thanks for everyone's input. Sounds like it really will be trial and error and I may have to try every brand known to man! I just really didn't want to outlay loads on a steriliser only to find I had to change brands and the new brand bottles wouldn't fit the steriliser but it seems these can be pretty interchangeable?

Mrs Bammy that was really interesting about getting the baby on to bottles ASAP. I have only ever read that it is better to get BF well established first in case they won't go back to the breast which is harder work. Looks like I'll need to do some more research

I HAVE USED BOTH AND GOT ON OK WITH BOTH BUT I DO LIKE THE TT ONES. image i USE THE TT BOTTLES AND THE AVENT STEAM STERILIZER. THE BOTTLES DON'T FIT IN THE HOLES BUT THEY SIT ON THE TOP FINE. image

I AGREE WITH MRS BAMMY ABOUT GIVING YOU LO A BOTTLE EARLY MINE HAVE ALL HAD A BOTTLE WITHIN THE FIRST FEW DAYS AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEM GOING BACK TO THE BREAST BUT I KNOW PEOPLE HAVE STRUGGLED TO GET THEIR BABY TO HAVE A BOTTLE AT ALL WHEN THEY HAVE WAITED THE RECOMMENDED 6 WEEKS :roll:
    XX