Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

How to cope with broodyness?

Hello everyone, Im new! Although I have been lurking for a while image

I just wanted peoples advice, or even better, your stories, about how you decided when to have a baby?

Ive been EXTREMELY broody for about 3 years, more obsessive than anything. My OH of 7 years doesnt want a baby 'right now' (whatever that means image ), but the feeling has been literally taking over my life. OHs 2 cousins had babies a few months ago at the same time, and cant help but cry whenever somone mentions them image My 3yo nephew makes me upset too. I wanted to hear your stories... did you have a difficult time convincing the OH? Did you have goals that needed achieving before you tried? Were any of you obsessed and how did you cope with it?

Am I normal?

Forgot to say Im 24 (OH 27), own house, im doing a part time degree, OH has stable FT job, have 2 beautiful doggies.

Thanks for listening :\)

Replies

• Hi, Welcome! I know exactly how you feek.My OH and I are both broody but for one reason and another we can't start trying until June 2010. Its only 7 and a half months but it feels like years. The broodyness is a constant pull at you but some weeks are worse than others and it literally drags you down! We are all in the same 'waiting' boat on here. So you can moan away about it.
    Has your OH said when he might want a baby? Not really got any goals except lose 7lb and be more healthier with my eating habits.
  • 7 1/2 months! That seems like a lifetime away! I hope time flies by for you... anyway, plenty of time to lose 7lbs :\)

OH is never specific about anything, its always 'just not right now'. Grrrr. I think he wants to save up money, but thats not likely to ever happen :roll:
  • How to cope with broodyness...........................steal a baby?;\)

You could try what I do - when you are out and about for every gorgeous baby/toddler you see you must find three obnoxious, hideous, "thank God they're not mine" babies/toddlers. Works every time.
  • Broodyness is so hard and difficult to deal with, its just horrible.

I do try to think "oh well, i dont need to deal with the horrible things"
    but it doesnt really work, does it?

I do keep thinking that the day that we get bfp's we'll feel extra blessed-but until then it is hard!!
  • Broodyness is so hard and difficult to deal with, its just horrible.

I do try to think "oh well, i dont need to deal with the horrible things"
    but it doesnt really work, does it?

I do keep thinking that the day that we get bfp's we'll feel extra blessed-but until then it is hard!!
  • hey Takora,

I find my broodyness is eased a little now I have a let ttc date, We have had Dec 09 in mind for about a year now. I think having a disscusion with you OH so you have a month in mind to begin, whether it is in 6months or 12 months I think helps x
  • Takora, welcome to the forum. My hubby is the exact same, wants a baby, just not right now. We are waiting and I will come off the pill in January, but like you I have been broody for a few years. I think my hubby wants to be in a more settled stable position. We just got married in september, and are in the middle of buying a house, how much stable can you be?! Point out to your hubby that it could take months to conceive and even if you are lucky enough to conceive it takes another 9 months for baby to arrive. Maybe try asking your hubby about how he would feel about having a baby next year?

To keep my broodiness at bay I spend time on here and look at baby gear. Maybe not the best thing for it but it keeps me busy!! xx
  • hi love, i'd say same as the other girls set a goal. me & dh have had the same goal for few yrs now start of 2011, as in 2011 we remortgage (can reduce payments) and should have a wee bit of spare cash to cushion the 9months smp etc!

this has been ok for me, i go through terrible phases of broodiness but in last fews months have been diagnosed with folate issue causing very low folic acid level and by docs orders no TTC until levels raised hopefully they will be raised for june when i now plan to come off the pill & try to get some normality back to my cycles & still plan on ttc dec 10 etc. however planning to wait & having to wait (knowing we cant have any little accidents) is killing me, everyso often i break down on the phone to my mum or mil. my best friend who has 2 wee girls (both accidents) cant understand why i get upset
  • Broodiness sucks doesn't it?! I really want a baby too, my fiance and I were going to wait a few more years but at the end of the day, you don't know what is around the corner so we have decided to start now even though we are renting. I just don't care anymore!!

I hope it helps to know you are not the only women out there and you are SO normal! hehe! I am so broody everytime a baby comes into work, I want to cry and literally STARE at it! I have to stop myself and go 'Don't like babies, don't like babies!!!' hehe xXx
  • I recently started a part time job in a shop and I get very broody with all the kids that come in. I tend to always help the parents/carers of any kiddies out, and if it's a purchase for the child I often talk to the kids too. I'm always being told 'I'm really good with kids' and asked if I have any. When I say No I'm told I should.

The sadest thing happened in Asda the other day. I was buying pregnancy/preconcepting vits and the woman on the till asked me if I was 'expecting' I didn't know what to say other than 'Well, trying' because 'well, preparing my health prior to trying' just seems like a lot to go into.
  • Hello!
    I'm exactly the same. Have really wanted a baby for the last few years but its now an obsession (since my friend got pg). My OH is always the one who says its not the right time and no one can convince him otherwise! He says we can think about it if he gets a new job but i'm sure if he does he'll come up with another excuse. Considering he says he really wants kids he's got a funny way of showing it.
  • Thank you for all the replies... it really is a relief to know Im not going crazy image

LOL Adelicia, I know what you mean with all the kids at work... I worked at Bristol Zoo up till recently, and it was jam packed FULL of newborns and mums walking around and trying to talk to me! It was the babies in slings that made me want to run off and cry :roll:

I like the idea of planning a date for the future... Im just worried OH will think thats a bit too real :\( And then the people around me all start getting preggers 'by accident' and it makes me really annoyed!

Mrs Norden, hope you get fit and healthy very soon, it must be really frustrating!
  • Thank you for all the replies... it really is a relief to know Im not going crazy image

LOL Adelicia, I know what you mean with all the kids at work... I worked at Bristol Zoo up till recently, and it was jam packed FULL of newborns and mums walking around and trying to talk to me! It was the babies in slings that made me want to run off and cry :roll:

I like the idea of planning a date for the future... Im just worried OH will think thats a bit too real :\( And then the people around me all start getting preggers 'by accident' and it makes me really annoyed!

Mrs Norden, hope you get fit and healthy very soon, it must be really frustrating!

it is but knowing we will be having a bundle of joy soon is keeping me going posative thoughts.

have a nice dinner & get a few drinking in your OH & start to have the talk, about what plans you have for next few yrs etc, any big hols planned etc. we originally planned to visit my fam in auz feb 2011 and that we would ttc as of that hol, after a falling out with fam we have now changed minds but kept the date as it works for us
  • this little bean myself and oh are trying for is technically our first, so he is excited as me, but im worried il get a lil obsessed! xx
    http://www.bump-and-beyond.com/36/3603/360395.png url
    html

http://www.bump-and-beyond.com/36/3603/360395.png

bb code
    :\?

[Modified by: tiannastar on November 07, 2009 04:12 PM]

• I'm in the same boat! I have been with my husband for almost 8 years and I feel as though I have been broody the entire time!!
    My sister has a baby and I love him to bits but when she was in hospital having him I was jealous because I just wished it was me! My family were making jokes that I would steal him! :L
    We have been talking about it a lot and my husband has even started to say that he really wants a baby 'soon' which for him means in the next few years but we have said that we can start to try (if I still really want to) next summer. This has def made me feel better because it feels more real now and I feel like this time next year I could be pregnant!!!
    We have travelled quite a bit and enjoy it so much and we like our meals out etc but none of that really excites me as much any more, as much as having my own baby. Sigh.
    I have started to come on here so that I don't feel llike a freak and it is good to know there are other really broody ladies out there!
    xxx
  • OH MY GAWD that picture just made my insides melt! I still cant decide whether neonatal nurse is the best job to have in the world, or the worst! LOL, Ill go with best image
  • I have been broody since i had to have one of my ovaries removed (nearly 7yrs ago now) all my friends are having babies and i get to munch them loads but then dont wanna give them back cos they're just so cute. My OH wasnt keen on havin kids wen i frist got with him but i have seemed to work my magic on him an now he wants 2 lol. His mate has not long had a baby and my OH seems to be getting broody, although its an on off thing, very annoying, one minute he wants a baby then the next he's just not "ready".

i feel like cryin sometimes seeing all these new mums goin round the shoppin center with their new babies an i want it to be me so much, i feel it shuld be me pushing the buggies round. very jealous.

i'm hopefully going to be TTC next year, i am very excited but also scared incase it dont work.

also glad i'm not the only one who obsesses over babies. i could tak about them all day lol

xx
  • oh p.s i think that picture is mega cute

xx

:\)