Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

how is he supposed to come out !!!!

seriously, am a small person and we have 'issues' when we have sex (cant remember what that was like, lol) and just started doing the perineum massage, and its tiny in there. How is a head supposed to come out !!

Realise should probably have thought of this before 3 weeks before i'm due.

Help !!!

sarah
36+6

Replies

• Hii. You'll dilate. Your cervix will open so that the head can come through. but i thought about the same thing seeing as i am only 16 lol.
    i didnt really understand how it could come through but i do now.
    on the other hand you could also end up tearing.
    this is from your vagina to your bottom. but they'll stich you back up.
    hopefully this wont happen. dont worry though. good luck.
    hope this helps.
    x
    39+3
  • I used to stand in baby clothes shops, looking at new born hats. I'd open them up thinking wtf. It's a magical mystery, all down to dilating. But it's incredibly worth it. X
  • thanks ladies, hope i dilute loads then......

sarah
    36+6
  • Trust me, it all just stretches!!!! You wouldn't believe how far, but my God you'll feel it!! Enjoy!! And it does go back to (almost) normal after!
  • lillykitt - I'm with you on this one, we're doomed! :lol: I get the bit where the cervix dilates, but that's not going to happen to my lady bits is it? We'll be fine chick, at least, that's what I'm telling myself! x x x

Em 36+4 x x x
  • right as a midwife 2b maybe i can put your mind at rest. dilation is a slow process which helps to stretch everywhere slowly, perineal massage will deffinately help and not getting stressed! the more relaxed you are the easier delivering baby will be as when u stress all your muscles tighten up! im a fairly little person and managed to deliver a 10lb 11 oz baby girl n not need any stitches so it can be done! if it looks like you will tear your midwife will ask you if you would like a cut (episiostomy) which is always better than tearing as the repair is easier on you. hope this reassures you hun xxxxxx
  • thanks lollyhatch that he helped loads. have some mad pains going on today so may be the start of all the stretching. I guess i dont know how i'll cope with it until it happens, i'm not stressed about the birth at the moment which i think is a good thing, as long as he comes out safe and well thats the main thing.

thanks for all your help.
    sarah
    37+4
  • lol lillykitt i was sitting thinking the exact same thing today!! Glad you asked it x
  • Ha Ha lillykitt, just seen this and it rings so true! Me and DH always "struggle" in that area until we get going TMI and I can't help but think, no bloody way is my man coming out of there! I keep thinking women go through it every day and that it can't be as bad as people say. NAIVE I know but if it keeps me going until labour day then i'm happy! xx
  • Ha Ha lillykitt, just seen this and it rings so true! Me and DH always "struggle" in that area until we get going TMI and I can't help but think, no bloody way is my man coming out of there! I keep thinking women go through it every day and that it can't be as bad as people say. NAIVE I know but if it keeps me going until labour day then i'm happy! xx
  • well it was true for me, he was too big for me so he came out of the sunroof ! is now almost 3 weeks old....

sarah+tyler(19 days)
  • Ha Ha the sunroof, love it! Glad everything went well honey, I can't believe he is 3 weeks old! xxx
  • I just read this... so in the end you couldnt fit him out lilly so they gave you a C section? oooo god i'm doomed image
  • Nature takes over! Honestly, you couldn't have met anyone more terrified of the thought than me! I had my little Sophie in August and found the pushing part to be the easiest and least stressful/painful bit. Once you get through the dilating ( I had 19 hours of it and it got a bit wearing!) I felt like I was actually getting somewhere and it was a huge adrenaline rush knowing he/she was coming with every push. I used to hate when people told me not to worry as I thought it wasn't helpful but please believe me and trust that your mind and body will do whatever needs to be done and you will have a fabulous baby at the end of it all.
  • Well done! Thats great! I was terrified too but had hypnobirthing by a lady called Sophie. She gave me the confidence to have a natural birth and it really was amazing. I needed no med intervention at all. If you;re in London then you should give her a call or email her www.hypnobirthingforyou.co.uk. She really is great! xx