Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

Experiences after miscarriage

Hi All - I just wanted to introduce myself and say "hi" as I haven't posted in this forum before.

Me and my hubby found out that we were pregnant with our first baby in September and unfortunately the baby stopped growing at 8 weeks and I had medical management of miscarriage on 10th October.

We are both desperate to have a baby and decided not to wait, so started trying to get pregnant straight away after the bleeding had stopped after the MC.

I haven't had a period yet, and my pre-MC pregnancy symptoms seem to be back again. Sore boobs, moody etc..... my question is, could I be pregnant again? Or is it too soon to tell? I know if I think sensibly that only time will tell, but I was keen to see what other peoples' experiences were.

Thanks for listening, I'm sure that other people who are desperate for a baby will have asked this question a million times before!! :lol:

Replies

• Hi hun,

So sorry to read about your loss. It is totally possible that you could be pregnant again, many people do get pg before their first AF.

Have you done a pg test since your MC? If you have and it came back with a BFN then obviously you can just do another test.

However, it is still possible that hCG could still be in your bloodstream from your first pregnancy, therefore if you haven't done a pg test then you could get a BFP due to residual hCG.

A conclusive way to find out would be for your GP to take blood and measure your hCG levels over a number of days to see if it is rising like it should do in early pregnancy.

Really hope that you get the result you want,

Love Kristen xxx
    18+4 (after MMC and D&C in April)

[Modified by: kristen77 on November 09, 2009 06:21 PM]

• Hi Lisa

I'm so sorry for your loss.

After a mc whether natural or by medical management etc it is quite common for your first AF to take up to 6 weeks to arrive, sometimes even longer. But of course if you have been trying then there is no reason why you couldn't be pregnant again - especially as some research suggests that you're more fertile immediately after a mc.

However, be aware that your 'cycle symptoms' can also change a lot after a mc. I had 3 mc's prior to this pregnancy and after the first one I started getting really sore boobs before AF and also lots of headaches, which I never had before. Tricked me into thinking I was pregnant in the few months after my first mc even though we weren't trying :roll: (was secretly hoping though!!).

Good luck though - I hope it is your BFP and that it's super sticky for you this time :\)

Love NN xxx
  • Thanks so much for your replies. Sorry to hear about what you guys have been through....

Thanks for your advice, I think I'm going to wait until the weekend and take a pg test if AF hasn't arrived by then.... I haven't taken one since my MC so if it does show positive I'll get in to see my doctor to arrange for the blood tests. My head tells me its probably too early for me to be pg again, but I realllllyyyyyyy want to be! I found the way for me to deal with loosing our last baby is to concentrate on TTC straight away.
  • to be honest lisa, once i was over the immeadiate shock of the loss i was the same as you - i threw myself into TTC (my poor OH, he didn't know what had hit him!) and i did find it helped.

i really hope that you are pregnant hun, let us know.

xxx