Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

Mixing Feeds

My daughter is 6 days old and has been breast feeding well, but when it comes to the night time she wants feeding constantly, she is a big baby so I just put it down to that.
I was just wondering whether anyone gave their babies one bottle of formula at night as a top up so that they sleep a bit longer.
I'm only managing to get 2 hours sleep a night.
Any suggestions please???

Replies

• Hi,

Congratulations first of all xx

I would say it's hard but if you can persevere with the bf it will be worth it, the first few weeks baby is stimulating your supply and also having a few growth spurts so it will seem like you are feeding alot!!! It does get easier though. If you introduce formula too soon you may effect your supply but it depends on you hon and how you feel, formula does not always mean any more sleep and too be honest it is a bit of a pain making up bottles at night when boob is on tap!!! you could try expressing so oh can do a night feed so you can have a break? bear in mind though that if you miss a regular night feed you boobs wont make the milk at that time of night anymore as your body gets used to supplying babys demands.

hth hon, it's knackering but worth it honest xx

[Modified by: Sazzle33 on November 25, 2009 09:20 PM]

• Hi,

Congratulations first of all xx

I would say it's hard but if you can persevere with the bf it will be worth it, the first few weeks baby is stimulating your supply and also having a few growth spurts so it will seem like you are feeding alot!!! It does get easier though. If you introduce formula too soon you may effect your supply but it depends on you hon and how you feel, formula will not guarentee any more sleep and too be honest it is a bit of a pain making up bottles at night when boob is on tap!!! you could try expressing so oh can do a night feed so you can have a break? bear in mind though that if you miss a regular night feed you boobs wont make the milk at that time of night anymore as your body gets used to supplying babys demands.

hth hon, it's knackering but worth it honest xx
  • I'm a single mum so I have do everything myself. I can't even catch up on my sleep during the day because I also have a 2 year old. I'm just at a loss at what to do. I enjoy breastfeeding its just the constant feeding at night is draining me. I've got my midwife coming tomorrow so hopefully she may have some ideas. I really don't want to have give my baby formula but it will be a last resort I guess. Thanks for the advice x
  • I can see why you would be shattered then hon, it is hard enough with one to look after. Just remember you have to do what best for you and baby and if that means introducing a bottle then you have to go for it xx

Hope you get on ok hon xx
  • Hi, I am also breast feeding and my little girl did exactly the same, constantly, this is something called cluster feeding and it does get better it is just where they are growing and need the milk. A couple of nights after feeding ever hour I did give formula to give me a break, this did not affect my milk supply and I have fed her since at the same time. As long as you are feeding regulary then your milk supply will be fine.

It does get better in the next week or so but if you find one evening all your doing is feeding then there is no harm to give her formula, at them end of the day do what you feels right and it is important that lo has happy mummy. One midwife told me not to, the other told me to go for it, we are always getting told different things which doesnt help. I just gave a couple of ounces and found this helped. even now she still does it at times, have been told it gets better once they are 6 weeks x
    xx
  • It def gets better at around 6 weeks and then by 8 weeks Lo goes at least 3 hrs between feeds and lot longer at night but in the early days it does feel like you are constantly feeding it just takes a while to get there. I only feed from one boob at night and then express and give this last thing at night. However I have only done this since 4 weeks ish as I was feeding so much in early days that I could'nt express.
    I also found that for me giving a bottle of formula in early days did nothing as babies only have a small stomach so get hungry quickly. But give it a go and see if it works for you !! It is trial and error . Good luck xxx