Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

Hands up who's irregular!

I came off the pill 7 months ago and have had v irregular cycles:
1st cycle- 45 days
2nd cycle- 56 days
Current cycle- 99 days and counting! image

My GP is running bloods to check ovulation when I notice EWCM and ov pains, and a wider range of bloods on CD3 next cycle if that ever happens... can't use CBFM or ov sticks as that would cost a fortune.

How do you cope with ttc and irregular periods?

Replies

• Me too!!
    CD 50 today..last cycle took forever!Came off the pill in July and it's so frustrating. I have no sign of EWCM yet.I tried OPKs but they're so expensive I've stopped..
    Hopefully we're still getting the pill out of our systems..
    Good luck hun xxx
  • I came off the pill 3 years ago but i have irregular periods due to an underactive thyroid.

My last 3 cycles have been 40days, 56 days and 28 days!!!!

I had no idea when i was OV'ing so i bought a CBFM!!! I think the best thing to do when TTC with irregular periods is to use ovulation sticks or a CBFM if you have the money. I OV'ed on CD17 last month and i never knew that!!!

It may take you a while to get yourself back to normal after the pill but unfortunately there are only so many ways you can tell if you are OVing and some of those cost money.

You could buy a BBT thermometer which are about 3 pounds and you can record your temp every morning. I am not sure how they work but if you google it you will find out. You could just spot symptoms like EWCM and OV pains of course. Or you can use OPKs or a CBFM. A CBFM is around??80-100 but you could get one cheaper on ebay or amazon and then you spend around ??20 a month on a box of sticks which can also be bought cheaper online.

I put a lot of thought into it before getting a CBFM and it has really helped me out although i am only on my second month of using it after 14 months of TTC at the wrong times obv.

Good luck xx
  • I came off the pill 3 years ago but i have irregular periods due to an underactive thyroid.

My last 3 cycles have been 40days, 56 days and 28 days!!!!

I had no idea when i was OV'ing so i bought a CBFM!!! I think the best thing to do when TTC with irregular periods is to use ovulation sticks or a CBFM if you have the money. I OV'ed on CD17 last month and i never knew that!!!

It may take you a while to get yourself back to normal after the pill but unfortunately there are only so many ways you can tell if you are OVing and some of those cost money.

You could buy a BBT thermometer which are about 3 pounds and you can record your temp every morning. I am not sure how they work but if you google it you will find out. You could just spot symptoms like EWCM and OV pains of course. Or you can use OPKs or a CBFM. A CBFM is around??80-100 but you could get one cheaper on ebay or amazon and then you spend around ??20 a month on a box of sticks which can also be bought cheaper online.

I put a lot of thought into it before getting a CBFM and it has really helped me out although i am only on my second month of using it after 14 months of TTC at the wrong times obv.

Good luck xx
  • Hmmm it's a tricky one. I can see how using opks is really useful, but I think that might fuel my obsession more... I did briefly use some sticks back in early September, right at the beginning of this looong cycle, but I found it really disheartening seeing the empty face every day and it put me in such a sad mood for the rest of the day! I must be really easily upset because everything is such a horrible disappointment with ttc. Much respect to you ladies with all the pma, I'm just a bit pathetic about it all!

Alternative plan is to BD every 2-3 days throughout the cycle, I think we'll tyr this next cycle. If it ever begins again! :\)
  • Has anyone used an ovulation microscope? You put your saliva on a slide and check if it has made a fern-shaped pattern, which only happens when you're about to ovulate. ??16 on Amazon, one-off cost. Just found out about this, could be worth a try! Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Babystart-Focus-Personal-Ovulation-Microscope/dp/B001TA2IDC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=drugstore&qid=1259492218&sr=8-1

• Hi Guys

I feel your pain!! I came off pill end of May and only on cycle 4, with cycles anywhere between 32 and 66. It's rubbish!

I've considered CBFM and Ov sticks, but have held off due to the cost, and the potential for days and days of disappointment! I track BBT which is helpful and less costly/emotional. Just going to go for the good old fashioned lots of BD I think.

I think you also become more chilled out after the first few months, and then I'm sure I'll start to get less chilled when it gets towards a year, but for now I'm not too bad. My OH is very relaxed about it which helps too - I'm only 27 so I know there's plenty of time.

Big hugs kittenmittens! xxxxx
  • CD116 today - tried OPKs and got a smiley face on CD24 but it was obviusly wrong. CBFM wouldn't work for me either so just BDing just in case I OV one day. Fingers crossed!
    H xx
  • I did put a post on here a couple of days ago about BDing. When i went to the doc a year after TTC he asked if we BD'ed a lot and i said mainly around, what i thought was, OV. He said that before anything could be done docs recommend you BD every 2-3 days for a year and if you dont get your BFP in that time then go back to them so maybe that would be the best thing for you xx
  • Yup that's what we're going to do next cycle Tink, that way we can cover everything. So far we've only really BD-ed lots in the week that we thought was ov time but it might not have been the right time. Thanks for the advice x
  • hi guys - i'm blighted by the same problem and posted a mini rant about it the other week. I always had long irregular cycles before I went on the pill 10 years ago but back then wasn't really bothered by them. I came off the pill in April this year - 1st cycle was cd135, 2nd cycle was cd50, this cycle I'm on day 23 so far.

I have been measuring my temp all this time - its been helpful for indicating when I have ov'd but its taken some getting used to - my temps were pretty erratic for a while but they have settled down now. the problem is that I only find out about ov after the event! My friend lent me a CBFM and I am using it this cycle. I have had to delay starting it otherwise I didn't think it would work and i would have got through all my sticks well before i was likely to ov (so I set the CBFM day 1 when I was at cd16). I'm not sure how helpful it's going to be but I got my first high today so fingers crossed!!