Forum home Babies Baby

Sleep Advice from experienced parents?? Please

My LO will be 9 weeks on Monday. Most days he refuses to sleep, just screams when you put him down. He'll maybe sleep on me or someone else for about 10 mins but as soon as you put him down, he wakes up and starts crying. He takes a feed every 3-4 hours and takens between 3-4ozs and refuses to take anymore. He gets a bath about 9-9.30pm, then gets fed about 10.30-11pm and he's put down in his crib for the night straight after taking his bottle and he's fine and goes to sleep. He normally lasts until 3.30-4am sometimes later depending on how much he has slept during the day then he'll go back down for another 3 hours.

Anyway, the question is, does anyone think this is to late to be putting him down to sleep? I have never tried bathing him earlier and putting him down at 7 or 8 because I'm scared he'll think this is night time and sleep for about 5 hours and then only sleep a further 3 hours, which means he'll be wide awake at 3 or 4am. When did everyone else start putting their LO's down at this time as I read so many people saying their LO's go down at 7pm and that's them until 7am next morning, so when would you start doing this? I know he's too young to sleep through the night at the moment and what he's doing just now is great so I don't mind getting up at 4am but I go back to work when he will be 6 months so don't really think getting up through the night then is ideal (know it's 3 months away but if I should be starting earlier with him, I'll try).

Should also mention, he is really bad with colic but have switched to Dr Brown bottles and he's a lot better. Before the bottles, he would get a feed at 10pm and not go down until 12am so it's made a huge difference.

Clare & Jack (8weeks 5 days) xx

Replies

• - We always did dexters bed time routine starting at 630 - he went down with bath etc then - any waking after then we feed him upstairs in the room no lights and no talking, then put him back down x

The time he goes to sleep is up to you x - we want to get dex into the habit of going down around 6-7 ish x ( Its nice to have some couple time inthe evening lol!)

Your LO times sound similar to Dex! For a while we did put him down down stairs it was at about 12 ish weeks that we started putting him down upstairs with the above routine x
  • Thanks girls, I'd really like to try and put him down earlier but because he has been sleeping for the 5 hours and giving me some sleep I've just left him to the later time, which does mean I don't get to spend much time with OH because we're trying to look after him and get things ready for his bath, bed etc.

I might start from Monday by bringing his bedtime forward those few extra minutes and keep doing that every night until we reach a reasonable time for him going down at night because I definitely don't want to still be up at 11pm when he's 6 months old and I need to work next day

xx
  • - We always did dexters bed time routine starting at 630 - he went down with bath etc then - any waking after then we feed him upstairs in the room no lights and no talking, then put him back down x

The time he goes to sleep is up to you x - we want to get dex into the habit of going down around 6-7 ish x ( Its nice to have some couple time inthe evening lol!)

Your LO times sound similar to Dex! For a while we did put him down down stairs it was at about 12 ish weeks that we started putting him down upstairs with the above routine x
  • Hi,

We started putting our LO down at about 11 when she was first born and then gradually moved it forward by 30 minutes for a few days before we got to her regular bedtime of 8pm. It is nice to have those few alone hours in the evening.

She didn't notice the difference and was sleeping until the same time no matter what time she went to bed. She was sleeping 12 hours through the night by 10 weeks, so it is worth a go.

Good luck, xx
  • Thanks mrs...d, it's so hard to know what's right and what's wrong especially with a first baby but I'm definitely going to try that xx
  • I know hun, she is my first too. Just a bit of trial and error really.

Good luck, xx
  • Michael did the same as your lo. He would slowly increase the amount of sleep when we first put him down. (from 4 hours, to 5 hours to eventually 6hours) And than he would sleep about 3 hours and he was wide awake. In the beginning he went to bed when we went to bed. After about 2.5 to 3 months we brought it forward to 7. In the beginning he was still in his 6 hour sleep, feed, 3 hour sleep, awake time ritme, but a few weeks down the line he surprised us to skip his feed and wake up at 6.30 in the morning. Since than he is really good, only on occasions he is waking earlier at about 5. Normally we can put him back down again after a feed though.