Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren

for mums of older boys

what age do boys achieve being dry in the night? J is 4 and can do it as long as I wake him up around midnight to use the loo. Thing is he is shattered from being woken. He goes to morning nursery and I dont want him going tired. He has alway slept through since he was 8 wks so getting woken up every night is having a big impact on him. Should I leave off till he is older?

Thanx

Elaine & Boys xx

Replies

• Hi Elaine,
    My lo is 5 and he wasn't dry until he was about 4 1/2 and for quite some time I had to wake him up to go to the toilet.
    I think boys are particularly lazy!
  • They all vary, DS1 was dry at 2 1/2.
    Girls vairy too, niece1 was wet until 4 1/2 as was niece3 but niece2 was dry at 3.
  • Hi,

My lad was about 3 when he was dry at night. He's 4 1/2 now, and we still have to make sure we limit his fluid intake after tea, and that he goes to to toilet just before bed, as he has been known to have the odd accident!!

XXX
  • I think mine was 3 but he still has the odd accident if he's really exhausted/ drank too much before bedtime. quite rare to have an accident now - he is 4 and a half. it does vary wildly. we never lifted him as i think maybe does his body get used to needing to go, if you see what i mean, about habit rather than need?
    have you tried not waking him? might take him a while to get used to not going to the loo but he might then learn to wake himself if he needs to go?
    on the other hand my sons best friend who is 5 in a couple of months still has a nappy at night. all are different and many children are a lot older than 4 or 5 are still having night-time accidents!
  • My brother was in nappies at night until he was 6. My mum tried various things but they didn't work so she decided to just leave it and eventually it would sort itself out. My son was about 3 so I guess it varies.
  • My brother was in nappies at night until he was 6. My mum tried various things but they didn't work so she decided to just leave it and eventually it would sort itself out. My son was about 3 so I guess it varies.