Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Are breastfeeding tops worth the money?

Can you tell I am begining to think about what is going to happen when Boochi Boo arrives as this is my second topic in breastfeeding chat in one day :lol:

I have been wondering what sort of tops to wear after birth to help with breastfeeding. I am consious of doing it in front of people apart from DH. I was thinking of getting tops with buttons down the front (ok ok I know baby brain just kicked in there - course I mean shirts :lolimage but then I saw a post either on here or somewhere and someone mentioned special breast feeding tops - are they worth the money? How are they different from normal tops? What sort of tops are best for breastfeeding in and so I am not arrested for flashing my boobs at people everytime Boochi Boo wants a feed?

Help - I can't believe something that sounds so trival is really stressing me out! :\?

Replies

• Aww Cal don't worry! You'll get used to it in no time at all.

Bf tops look just like normal tops, but they have a hidden panel at the front which means you can literally pop a boob out whilst keeping the rest of you covered! Shirts work fine too but you might find you want a shawl or something to cover the part of your chest that's exposed when you undo the buttons.

I have about 3 bf tops and I did get a lot of use out of them, so I would say it's work buying at least a couple. But once I got bored of them (doesn't take long if you only have a few) I used to wear a low, cheap vest top with a loose top over the top, and pull the loose top up & push my boob out the neckline of the low vest top. This meant that my tummy and chest were still covered. Tbh I quite often just pushed up whatever top I was wearing even if I didn't have a vest top underneath - though I guess it's more difficult to be discreet this way. As my boobs are small Lily's head pretty much covered everything so no one could ever really see much, except maybe a little bit of tummy.

You'll prob need some nursing bras too for easy access (although I hated mine - they didn't really fit, my own fault) so once I'd got the hang of bf I just used to shove my bra up and pop the boob out the bottom.

Please don't worry! You'll soon learn what's easiest for you when BB's here, and you might even find your worries about flashing people go straight out the window!

Edited to take out photo of one of my bf tops as it was messing up page format!

[Modified by: PinkToothbrush on December 14, 2009 08:44 PM]

• Oh God sorry I've covered up your post with an advert with my huge photo! Let me try editing....
  • Sorry I can't do it, have only succeeding in moving mine down (plus am not sure if I've even done that successfully as I have an ad blocker so can see everything ok anyway, so am just guessing as to how far down I've moved it!) Let me know when you've seen the photo & I'll take it out so that other people can read your post properly and reply!

[Modified by: PinkToothbrush on December 14, 2009 08:20 PM]

• Forgot to say H&M do some nice, cheap bf tops! (about ??10 - ??15 each).
  • Thanks girls. Think I will invest in a couple of breast feeding tops and also some vest tops!

Will definitely have a nosey in H&M and at jo jo mamanbebe
  • hi i got two from peacocks, but they are a very rare find in there, but are very cheap, and are much along the same style as the h&m ones. i used those and also i wore a loot of button top tops lol, which i find were fine if worn witha double layer nursing bra which u can buy in debnhams

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_152010802599_-1

which mean u can wear almost any top without having to get ur whole boob out, i found them fantastic. also just layering ut tops wotks well too, so any top with a vest top underneath, just lift ur firts top up, and pull ur vest down a bit and voila, altho if ur having a summer baby this cld be a bit warm lol. hth xx
  • I got some nice (cheap) ones from a company called appleblossom - they were so practical! I did only get a couple, and then made do with a lot of my other tops. But they were particularly good early on when I was both more concerned about being discrete and at the same time found it harder to feed discretely because my lo needed more help latching on. I'd say they are worth the investment!
  • hiya, kelly here should b texting u but lost your number!!
    In a word no i dont think they r worth it, i just wear lose tops, theres loads around and with my belly thank god! and also button down/zip down/popper down tops for east access, the only thing i have is a breast feeding vest,so if im wearing a slightly unsuitable top i just put the vest under and lift so i feel more covered.
    h&m,m&s,peacocks, and george at asda (v handy) have had the best tops so far,was easier in the summer but winter clothes are a bit more tricky/bulky.
    good luck,im only round the corner if u need any help with the bf,i go to bf group every week and im hoping to start the course to become a bf advisor soon too.
    take care x
  • I wear layers - a few vest tops and pull the top one up and the others down & oy ucant see anything & I feed everywhere! Walkin around supermarkets, church, pub lunches, resterants, parks, lol where ever she gets hungry! (& you can't see anything even done it at my fella's work and he works with loads of blokes and none of them knew!) x
  • I wear layers - a few vest tops and pull the top one up and the others down & oy ucant see anything & I feed everywhere! Walkin around supermarkets, church, pub lunches, resterants, parks, lol where ever she gets hungry! (& you can't see anything even done it at my fella's work and he works with loads of blokes and none of them knew!) x
  • Alternatively you could get a nursing cover? Then you can wear whatever you want underneath!

• Hi, I think the best value BF'ing tops I have are from H&M & I still wear them now I have stopped BF'ing! but other ideas are to go Primark and but their boob tubes - I bought mine whilst pregnant to use as bump covers incase tops too short and wore after underneath 'normal' tops so they covered my belly when I lifted my top...they only cost ??1.50 each and I have loads now. Or I find myself looking at any tops and always mention to my hubby 'ooh, I could get me boobies out in that top!' I can't stop myself considering this option whenever I'm out shopping! lol! My best bargain was a couple of years ago from Newlook, they had tops in the sale that were mock layered tops and the fake vest layer underneath was only half a vest so lifted up really easily and worked brilliantly as BF'ing tops...when they got tatty I cut the fake vest out and wore it under front opening tops/shirts to give my chest some coverage!
    If you have huge boobs like my sister then you will want a muslin or BF'ing cover as her baby's head does not hide her booby! lol!
    xxx