Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Mum has lung cancer- planning a family

Hi all

My mum has been diagnosed with lung cancer in October and has started chemotherapy and is responding well and am hoping it can be controlled for longer than first thought (we were told originally she may only have 6 months).

My husband and I were planning to start a family in about 18 months - 2 years and due to failing a current exam, I have decided to take a break from it and now plan to start a family earlier, in the next couple of months (I will be 25 when baby born if fall quickly) . If we were planning to do so in the future anyway I want to at least try to give my mum a chance to share a part of this, her first grandchild.

Does anyone have any advice,? Is 25 too young to be a mum?

I am terrified and although my husband is and we are stable, dont feel totally ready, but do not want in a couple of years have a baby and if I have lost my mum, regret not giving it that chance.

Opinions, advice, anything... xxx
:\?

(Also on planning a baby)

Replies

• Oh honey, Sorry to hear about your mum. My mum was diagnosed with breast cancer a few years ago when I was pregnant with my first child at 19 and I'm happy to say she made a full recovery.

I don't think it's about how old you are, don't think you're too young but it's about how you feel. If you don't feel 100% ready then maybe you should wait a bit, but I think anyone will always find a reason not to be ready. When it happens you'll just be ready cos you have to be!! Good luck, wioshing your mum a speedy recovery. Don't know whether my advice has been much good, but didn't want to R & R xxx