Forum home Family life & relationships Single parents
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Impossible situation

Hi,

I'm just 8 weeks pregnant and currently living with the father. Initially I thought we were both happy with the pregnancy and looking forward to becoming parents.

However a few nights ago he told me that he needed to talk to me like an adult and went on to say that the only reason we are still together is the pregnancy, he doesn't even like me anymore and he doesn't love me either.

This is not the first time he has said something like this and in the past I have given him the benefit of the doubt when he apologises and asks for us to remain a couple. But now I am making choices not just for me, but for the little thing inside me too. I need someone to support me through this and he is clearly not willing/able to do it.

I'm devestated. All of my family are back home in Australia and I don't know what to do! After speaking with my sister she told me to come home and she would help look after me and the baby when it comes. My Dad said pretty much the same, but also asked me to consider a termination.

The father is now saying that I misunderstood what he said and is asking me to stay. I have no-one here aside from him and his family and I don't feel that I can trust what he is saying now. I feel as though I am in an impossible situation - I want to keep the baby and do the right thing by it, me and him. I feel so alone and have no idea what the right thing to do is.

So do I cut my losses now and split from him to head back home or do I try again and hope that he is up to the task of being a good father? I know being a single parent isn't an easy thing to do, but is staying with this guy who says he doesn't even like me worth it?

Replies

• Hiya, i did not want to read and run but have not any advise, but will just say that don't forget that the both the father and the child deserve the opportunity to establish a good relationship and if home is so far away that there is very little chance of that bond forming.

Other than that I have nothing to add, but am sure that you will make the right decision by you all. all the best with the pregnancy x
  • only you can make this decision hun, its a tough one..... personally i couldnt stay with a guy who would say the things he has to you.... good luck whatever u decide xx
  • Thanks for all the comments and support. I still haven't made up my mind about what to do and am hoping some time away from each other over Christmas/New Year will help me sort out which is the best way to go. I just hope whatever I decide it's the right thing for my baby.
  • i have no advice and i dont even belong in this forum but i couldnt not reply ,u need to do what is best for u and your baby hun ,not this guy who seems to enjoy saying horrible things to u ...one reply u had is about letting him bond with his child ...well i disagree that if he is able to play on the emotions of the mother of his child whats to say he isnt going to do it to the child ....i might sound harsh and i wont ever encourage any parent from not letting the other one see the child but if u have no one at all over here ,what will happen when this baby is born and he continues to put u down ,u will feel even more vunerable and alone ...u need to be with your family at such a crucial time of your life ..hth ..good luck xxxxx