Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Is this separation anxiety?

Hi George's mum,

I'm Zoe mum to Jack and Charlotte. I really feel for you at the moment as it is hard work when they are like this. I'm not a big fan of controlled crying, that's just me. However,Charlotte used to cry for my attention all the time, more often than not it was more of a load winge but often it would develop into a full blown scream. I started by not rushing to her everytime she started, and if I was doing something like making dinner and Jack was hungry I had to leave her in order to feed him. It did take a while but she soon realised I wouldn't drop everything for her all the time. Afterall, I had a toddler who needed me too.

I would never leave him to cry til he stops, that could take a while and make things worse. Just don't rush to him straight away and gradually make it longer and longer, reassure him with a calm voice you are on your way.

If you are worried in any way get him checked over by your G.P. or H.V for reassurance if nothing else, that way can rule out illness.

I hope that's of some help to you.

Take care, Zoe xx

Replies

• Good luck, let us know how you get on. Someone else may have another way for you to try.
  • Hi Georges mum,
    firstly, welcome to pp, i hope you find the help and advice you need.

When my eldest daughter was between the age of 6-8 months, i seemed to have her permanently in my sight or attached to my hip, as she was exactly the same. It all seemed to calm down then. How long has george been like it?
    My youngest daughter is 7 months, and a couple of weekes ago, i noticed the same behaviour, but a couple of days ago, she cut her first tooth and its all calmed down a little again.

I really hope it all calms down soon, and you'll be on here telling us that hes playing happily all by himself!!

Take care, and look forward to chatting soon
    Kas xx
  • Hi Sooz,

What's James like when you leave him with his dad? If he reacts the same is it possible to leave them alone and ask him to do the ironing and then he can see how difficult it is. My husband used to moan at me until he had some time off work and then saw what i had to contend with, now he understands what i mean when i say i go to work for a break.

I echo what Boo says, if you don't go to a group then i recommend it, you can share your experiences and make some great friends who you can go for coffee with, etc. It helps you to feel like a person.

Take care, Zoe xx