Forum home Babies Baby

Baby hair loss?

Our twins are now 4 weeks old and doing really well feeding, sleeping etc despite wingy times are angels!

When they were born both had some hair all over their heads which was blonde/brown, this has remained the same for Jack, but i noticed today that Poppy seems to have lost most of her hair on the top near her forehead and the skin is really dry?

Is this normal, i would have expected to have loss around the back as they rub their heads when laying down etc but not on top?!

We're not washing her hair that much really, they have a bath every other night and are top and tailed the rest. I don't really use shampoo unless her hair at the back is sicky or her brother has been sucking her head which makes it patted.

Any advice? It'll grow back right?

http://lb1f.lilypie.com/JVp5m12.png

Replies

• Jack was born with dark brown hair and lots of it, but by about 6 weeks this had all fallen out and he was bald! He is now 8 months and still doesnt have a hudge amount of hair what he does have is very fine and white! Apparently my mum said i was the same and didnt have any hair untill i was 3years old! I do have thick lovely hair now!

Rub some baby oil/olive oil on her scalp that will help it to not get so dry.

xx
  • My lo was born with blonde tufty hair...looked very cute! It all fell out at about 4-5 weeks old...around the same time the baby acne arrived so i used to joke he was balding and spotty!

The baby acne only lasted a couple of weeks but the hair continued to fall out. I would find it all in his crib image He has been totally bald for months but in the last 2 weeks his hair has grown back and really quickly...now back to blonde tufts...phew!

I used to use baby oil on his scalp and wash his (non-existant) hair every night to try and prevent cradle cap.
  • ...just remembered that he was not 'totally bald' he seemed to hold onto a little ring round the back of his head just like a mullet...how could i forget that!
  • Well i guess its good to know that she's not on her own, but i'm so sad its falling out it looks so strange to have a bald patch on top, so odd seeing her with out hair!?

Will do the baby oil as suggested as have just been using johnson moisturising cream.

Thanks ladies.

xxx
  • DD had loads of black hair when she was born despite being 8 weeks early, when she was about 3 months she started to lose it all apart from a patch at the top. now its really long and curly at the back and it is blondey.

so sweet that jack sucks poppys head. baby oil is also great if they start to scratch their heads as their fingers just slip off

• Perfectly normal hun! If it is dry, is there any red patches at all as it could be baby ezcema? If so, the HV can give you cream on prescription. Johnson's makes it worse if it is! I found this out with Ella!
  • V normal, my baba's hair fell out from the top and just looked like a monk for a while! She's practically completely bald now (at 5 months)! Completely normal in the first 6 months.

Helen x
  • My boy lost his hair at the front to, flannel washes and johnsons moisturiser helped, think it was a kind of cradle cap. He's 14 weeks now and its all grown back xxx
  • My boy lost his hair at the front to, flannel washes and johnsons moisturiser helped, think it was a kind of cradle cap. He's 14 weeks now and its all grown back xxx