Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

recovering after a c-section

Hey girls

I am 36 weeks with my first baby and he is still breech - I am having to deliver early by 37-38 weeks due to cholestasis and have been told it'll probably be an elective c-section.

Just wanted to hear about people's c-section experiences - has anyone had a planned one on here?

And how long did it take to recover? what can you do for the first few weeks? does it affect breastfeeding?

Any info would be appreciated - thanks x

Replies

• hi

i had an em c section at 40+6, so not the same but i can tell u that the c section, and time in theatre was actually the best and most calm part of my labour/birth experience. the theatre staff were fantastic, they talked thru it all with me before hand and as they were going along, it was all very controlled and actually quite friendly, the anaesthetist and his assisment were engaing OH and i in random conversation and bits of banter whhich helped to take the 'edge' off the situation, and helped to calm me down. altho i didn't get to hold ds i was awake for it and saw them take him to the otherside of the room, and heard his cry, he was given the once over and the passed to OH who sat next to my head holding ds while i was sticthed up etc. i had ds at 1am and by 8pm i was able to walk to and from ds crib, and get in and out of bed unaided. prior to that every time ds needed a feed (breastfeed) i wld have to buzz a mw to pass him to me, or ask one of my visitors (mainly OH). i stayed in until he was 5dyas olmd, then on our first night home i went to tesco, as needed some scenary lol. i took it slow and the second week started to go for short walks and built up from there. its recommended that u don't drive, hoover, exercise, lift anything heavier than lo for the first 6-8 weeks. i managed to breastfeed ds exclusively til he was 3 weeks, and then mixfed him until he was 7 months, so imo had no effect on breastfeeding.
    hope i've answered all ur queries. good luck xxxx
  • hi

i had an em c section at 40+6, so not the same but i can tell u that the c section, and time in theatre was actually the best and most calm part of my labour/birth experience. the theatre staff were fantastic, they talked thru it all with me before hand and as they were going along, it was all very controlled and actually quite friendly, the anaesthetist and his assisment were engaing OH and i in random conversation and bits of banter whhich helped to take the 'edge' off the situation, and helped to calm me down. altho i didn't get to hold ds i was awake for it and saw them take him to the otherside of the room, and heard his cry, he was given the once over and the passed to OH who sat next to my head holding ds while i was sticthed up etc. i had ds at 1am and by 8pm i was able to walk to and from ds crib, and get in and out of bed unaided. prior to that every time ds needed a feed (breastfeed) i wld have to buzz a mw to pass him to me, or ask one of my visitors (mainly OH). i stayed in until he was 5dyas olmd, then on our first night home i went to tesco, as needed some scenary lol. i took it slow and the second week started to go for short walks and built up from there. its recommended that u don't drive, hoover, exercise, lift anything heavier than lo for the first 6-8 weeks. i managed to breastfeed ds exclusively til he was 3 weeks, and then mixfed him until he was 7 months, so imo had no effect on breastfeeding.
    hope i've answered all ur queries. good luck xxxx
  • I had a semi-elective c-section due to failure to progress, so not emergency but only planned the morning of the day. It was a far better experience that I expected, the procedure itself is painless although very strange not being able to feel your legs and having a catheter fitted.

Recovery has again been better than expected, I was up showered and walking around the next day. Could carry my newborn no problem, stayed in hospital 4 days and managed around the home straight away. It's now 5 weeks since my c-section and although my tummy area is still tender, I have felt very well for weeks. Still not risking driving, hoovering or anything too heavy though.

As for bf'ing my LO latched on straight away but I didn't like not being able to tend to my baby while I was bed-bound (first 16 hours). We struggle with bf'ing, part of me thinks it was the c-section and another part of me thinks I have a lazy baby. It hasn't affected my supply, as I express nearly all that LO needs. Hope this helps and I wish you lots of luck xx
  • I had a semi-elective c-section due to failure to progress, so not emergency but only planned the morning of the day. It was a far better experience that I expected, the procedure itself is painless although very strange not being able to feel your legs and having a catheter fitted.

Recovery has again been better than expected, I was up showered and walking around the next day. Could carry my newborn no problem, stayed in hospital 4 days and managed around the home straight away. It's now 5 weeks since my c-section and although my tummy area is still tender, I have felt very well for weeks. Still not risking driving, hoovering or anything too heavy though.

As for bf'ing my LO latched on straight away but I didn't like not being able to tend to my baby while I was bed-bound (first 16 hours). We struggle with bf'ing, part of me thinks it was the c-section and another part of me thinks I have a lazy baby. It hasn't affected my supply, as I express nearly all that LO needs. Hope this helps and I wish you lots of luck xx
  • I have had 2 sections, first one emergency and second one elective.

Emergency one was obviously different because I didn't expect it after a long painful labour and pushing for 2 hours, and I ended up being knocked out with General Anaesthetic image

Second time I opted for an elective section and have no regrets at all. I was in control and knew the exact date etc which helped. The most painful part is having the spinal/epidural, then its more of a strange sensation when they are getting baby out. I asked to see the placenta etc when baby was born. I didn't BF at all so can't comment on that part.

It is tough for the first couple of days after section but considering what you are having done, you recover really quickly! If you keep on top of your painkillers then it helps a lot, although initially the pain can be a little bit like burning in your scar.

I had a 14 month old to look after as well after my section so it was hard work, but just take it easy with lifting especially and housework for the first few weeks.

My midwife was all for sections and said elective sections are a much more 'civilised' way to give birth!! ha ha so keep that in mind.

I am sure you will be fine.