Forum home Archived Birth Clubs Due in April 2017
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

The Due in April 2017 Big Birth Announcement Thread!

2»

Replies

• My birth story :)

My edd was 19th, I had my 40w midwife appt where I was hoping she would do a sweep unfortunately she refused. I was just feeling so low and ready to give birth so went for a walk in the park with hubby. There was a cross trainer fitness instrument which I couldnt resist decided gotta try to see if it gets things going. When I got home I went on pilates ball for a bit. Few hours later on my edd my waters broke :)) I called the hospital and hubby was asked to go in and get it checked. I had no contractions but my waters continued to leak. Hospital confirmed it was the waters and booked me a induction for next day if things hadnt progressed. I had few irregular contractions but nothing that strong, so I went to hospital on 20th I was only 0.5cm dilated got the medication inserted at 7.45pm and my contractions started immediately every 2mins by 12.30am I was fully dilated and ready to push, it took me sometime to push unfortunately I wasnt too good at it at 1.42am on 21st april with help of midwifes I delivered my little prince weighting 7lb6oz. For FTM 6 hours of labour is very good I think :) I dont think I could have handled anything longer than that :)

• I was due on 17th April and went in for induction on 27th April. I got to the hospital at 3pm and at around 4pm I was examined as 1cm dialated and given a pessary. I was told I'd be examined again at 10pm to see if my waters could be broken or if I needed another pessary. Myself and the hubby then went for a walk and to the cafe. I started getting pains quite quickly but didn't quite believe the pessary could be working so fast! By around 5pm we were back in our room and pains were very close together. I bounced on the ball and paced the room. At around 9pm I was really struggling as contractions were one after another with very little space in between. I had some paracetamol and codeine. At 10pm I was 2cm dialated and the midwife decided it wasn't necessary to burst my waters or give me another pessary. She offered me the birthing pool. The pool gave me relief instantly but after a few more contractions I felt awful again. I felt my waters pop and the contractions got more intense. I asked for pain relief and the midwife suggested gas and air so I could stay in the pool. The first few goes were not very good, I wasn't getting much relief and so I asked to get out the pool for diamorphine. I was persuaded to keep going and once I learnt to take the gas early enough in my contractions it worked amazingly. The rest is a bit blury. I became very confused on the gas but had an overwhelming feeling that I could cope and everything felt achievable. Very quickly I was 8cm and then before I knew it I was pushing! I crushed the poor hubbys hand till it was purple, but baby seemed to come quite easily. Our little boy was born at 00.59am, only 9 hours after the induction had started. Getting out the pool with the umbilical cord and clamp dangling between my legs felt terrifying! However, my placenta came out almost straight away with no need for the injection. I was left to dry a little before I could be stitched. 

Afterwards I was keen to have a shower, however, I lost a few huge clots and a lot of blood and fainted twice in the shower. The hubby noticed the first time and called for help so I was well looked after. Luckily I was sat on a chair and didn't hurt myself. I was given a catheter as my bladder was very full. The midwife said that was why I was bleeding so heavily. Afterwards I felt much better!

• My birth story 

I was booked in on the sat 8/4 to be induced. Called the hospital in the morning and was told to go in. Went in at 8 and was sent home by 10 as there was too many inductions that day and not enough staff. Went back in the sun 9/4 at 830am. Was given the pessary and then by 1400 I was sent home again to get some sleep but to come back if labour started. Mon 10/4 I was back in again at 8am to have the pessary taken out. Still no labour had started so was given the gel at 930 and then again at 1530 as nothing was working. Was walking around and everything but he was being stubborn. 2100 on the Monday was told to get some sleep in hospital and they would break my waters in the morning which was fine by me but by 2200 they were breaking my waters and then put me on the drip at midnight so no sleep for me. Was given the drip up to the highest dosage and by 1030 on tues 11/4 I hadn't dialated and contractions weren't that strong so it was then decided a c section was the best option. So at 12.22 on 11/4 oscar was finally born weighing 6.10. Wasn't the ideal labour but was worth it all. He was just too lazy and comfy inside to want to come. Xx

• Jan' s birthing story of baby Lily

It all started on bank holiday Monday 1st May at about 0300 in the morning. I though my contractions were regular and painful enough to possibly be in labour. I timed the contractions and called the birth centre for advise. We went in and was told I was only 2 cm dialated, contractions were not pleasant so sent home after some dihydrocodeine and paracetamol. 

I spent the bank holiday ball bouncing and in pain. That evening though I thought contractions were regular and painful enough to be in labour. Went in again at 2200 to be told still only 2 cm dialated. Sent home after another round of painkillers. Now that night was awful! The painkillers did nothing. The contractions were intense all night long. They were waking me up every 10 to 20 minutes. So I didn't sleep at all really. Spent alot of the night pacing, swaying and hypnobirthing breathing through the contractions.

At 0700 gave in and called the birth centre again - I was a mess. When we got to the hospital I was in tears, the contractions were so intense and I was exhausted from being up all night. We rushed off to the hospital so didn't even eat breakfast. Midwife examined me at 0800 and thank the Lord I was 5cm dialated and in established labour. My waters still hadn't gone, my waters actually went when in the pool giving birth. 

Midwives put me straight on the gas and air which was absolutely amazing! I couldn't stop smiling! 

We went into the birthing room once they had finished cleaning it and filling up the pool. Shelley the midwife didn't want me in the pool straight away she didn't want it to slow down my contractions. 

After about an hour I was in the pool. I gassed and aired it all the way through. Husband fed me mars bars, water and toffee crisps. My tanks were completely empty, no sleep, no food. There were points I just wanted to stop and sleep. I was so exhausted!

Kept pushing and at 1522 on 2nd May 2017 baby Lily was born. I did my hypnobirthing breathing with the gas and air lol! Was the only way I could get through it.

I don't judge anyone who decides to get an epidural or any other form of pain killer. I personally really didn't want one, I didn't like the idea of a needle in my spine- freaked me out a bit. My aim was to go without one and very happy did. Even though it was awful! Think hypnobirthing definitely helped though. Especially through the night with tough contractions beforehand.

I am also happy she is finally here. She is beautiful. I really thought I was going to have a boy as well so was a pleasantly surprised! 

Jan

• Hi all! 

Update - Baby Harrison has finally arrived, am impressive 11 days after his due date! We are currently recovering from a pretty horrific ordeal of a labour, but baby is doing well and I'm in the best place to be looked after! 

After starting contractions about 1am in the early hours of Wednesday morning, the labour ward told me to call back when they were 5 mins apart. All day Wednesday, Thursday and Friday I carried on contracting - never getting any closer than 7.5 mins apart. I called back the labour ward on Thursday night as the intensity was too much and the pain unbearable, and because I was due to be induced on Friday anyway! Again, I was told not to go in until the contractions were 5 mins apart.  

On Friday at 4pm, I went to hospital for my planned induction and, after examination, found I was 4 cm dilated 🖒😀 My waters broke naturally shortly after, and it was established baby was back to back - hence the horrible contractions. However, 4 hours later, I was still only 4 cm dilated and baby's heart rate kept dropping when I was contracting. It was agreed I'd go on the hormones drip to being on stronger contractions but, as they were putting in the canula, the consultant wasn't happy with baby's heart rate and wanted him out immediately. 

Cue a whole team of medical professionals running in the room and within mins my bed was being run up to theatre. There was no time to wait for an epidural so I was put to sleep for an emergency c section under general anesthetic. I woke up 2 hours later to see my beautiful baby boy! He and my husband have just about recovered from the ordeal but, mummy on the other hand, has a long way to go! I'm exhausted, bed bound, groggy, have a sore throat from the tube inserted for the section - but I wouldn't change it given that's what it took to make sure my baby arrived safely in to the world! 

If I hadn't been booked in for the induction on Friday I might never have known that baby's heart rate was dropping dangerously during contractions as they never reached 5 mins apart (even venue after 3 days!!) The midwife agreed that the intensity of the pains should be taken in to account, and not just the time! 

• Oh wow bubbamumma, what an ordeal! That sounds awful, and must have been terrifying for your OH. I'm so glad Harrison is safe and well, and I really hope you have a speedy recovery xxxx

• I've been meaning to share this for ages now and I've finally got around to writing it all out so here goes.

I'd been having braxton hicks for several weeks but 4 days before my due date (on the Saturday) they started getting much stronger, and were painful and regular. This went on for about 6 hours, every 15 mins, but then stopped. The next morning they started again, went on for about 6 hours again then stopped. Sunday evening they came back, again every 15 mins initially but this time they progressively got closer together and stronger so I started taking paracetamol regularly and put the tens machine on.

This continued all Monday and by about 10pm on Tuesday (after no sleep on Sunday or Monday night) they were about 10 mins apart but were really painful so we phoned the birthing centre who said to call back when they were less than 5 minutes apart. By 1am they were every 5 mins and making me scream so we called back and they said to come in when they were 3 mins apart. We were timing them, ready to rush straight in as soon as they got that regular, but when it got to that point I was paranoid they'd send me home so I made hubby do some tidying to waste some time. At 3:30 we finally headed to the hospital which luckily is only 5 mins away.

When we got there we were given a room straight away but just left alone for about an hour. Then the midwife examined me and I was only 2cm dilated. She asked if I wanted some pethidine and reassured me it doesn't cause the horrendous itching I get with morphine so I agreed but then another woman on the unit started sounding like she was being murdered and all the midwives got distracted and my pethidine didn't arrive until 50 mins later. It was amazing though, and after that I even managed to get some sleep. I was much nicer to hubby after that point as well!

When the midwife examined me about 2 hours later, just after my waters had broken, I was 7cm dilated. I asked if there was anything else I could have as I was starting to feel more pain, so they brought me gas and air. The midwife shift changed and I got two new midwives. I didn't realise until after that one was a student and she was absolutely brilliant. 

I really don't remember much of what happened once I had the gas and air, apart from swearing at the midwives who I thought had taken the gas and air away from me! I was also very confused and felt very drunk. I remember they kept telling me to push as the baby was almost out, and me being convinced they were lying as I knew it couldn't be over that quickly. I told them I couldn't push any more and they said I didn't need to as the baby was out! Hubby said it was a girl, I kept insisting it wasn't. We had some skin to skin then they took me to put a few stitches in and I went home that evening. 

I know I was so lucky as everything went well and was quite quick. The first midwife had said that 3 hours after the pethidine, I'd be able to use the birthing pool, but Bethan was born 3 hours after (exactly on her due date and weighing 6lb3) so I never had chance. Until a couple of weeks before I'd been sure I'd have a Caesarian so I was happy I could have a natural birth and it was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. It was actually easy compared to pregnancy and we are so happy with our perfect little girl 😍