Forum home Archived Birth Clubs Due in August 2018

The Due in August 2018 Big Birth Announcement Thread!

Hello everyone!

We're inching closer to August, so we thought it was time for the members of the Due in August 2018 birth club, to have your own special thread for your birth announcements.

Please use it to tell us all about your labour and birth, and your first moments with your newborn – and we'll come and shower you with congratulations and this gorgeous super soft Gerri Giraffe comforter, thanks to those lovely people at Gro Store

Good luck everyone! We can't wait to hear all about your baby's first few moments!

Replies

• Well girls I woke up around 3am on the 17th July with mild period like pains. They started coming every 20mins but we're not to bad but with my history of short labours I woke my partner around 5 to say that I felt we needed to go to the hospital to get checked. So had some toast and a shower and got to the hospital around 6am. Was checked and told I was 4cm dilated. By 730 my contractions were back to back. Come 0809 my wee man was born. Weighing 7lb 6oz. 9 days early. Just perfect. 

He is now 3 days old and is such a content little thing. 

Did it all on gas and air, wasn't allowed pethadine or anything like that because of my history of short labours. Was quick but painful .... I find the gas and air useless but that's my own opinion and I am sure everyone is different. Thank God I was only in real agony for about an hour. I honestly put my hands up to you girls who go through it for hours. 

Left hospital 6 hours after he was born and went and done my shopping, then picked up my other sons .... I know I'm mad lol

I can't wait to see all the rest of the babies to arrive 💟💙💟💙💟💙💟 xxx

• Kgraham hes absolutlt gorgous! Congrats!

Well we were admitted on tuesday for induction, i was given three pessaries over the two days which started what i was told was prostan pains that felt a lot like contractions, it took around 36 hours for these to work and was checked for a third time and was 3cm dilated on thursday morning, given gas and air which i found was a god send, i also has four doses of diamorphone over the 2.5 day period ans opted for an epidural but was still able to know when to push when the time came. I was check again two hours later and was 5cm then nine cm a furthee two hours later, around half four was advised we could start pushinf and she was here by 5pm exactly, defo recommended gas and air for all the girlies going in, me and babs are now home and safe and shes perfect in everyway, just had a bath and didnt cry at alll.

Rosie Faith, 19/07/18, 6lb 9.5oz

• Aww congratulations bobble and kgraham they are both just perfect ❤️

• Congratulations Kgraham and Bobble, babies are beautiful 

• Bobble she is beautiful 💟💟💟 congratulations sweetie xxx

• Congratulations ladies 🤗

beautiful babies 

• Kgraham and Bobble321, thank you both so much for sharing your birth stories. 

Kgraham, your birth experience sounds so chilled and really smooth - the dream! We hope you Matthew are doing really well? 

Bobble321, sounds like your birth was long, but we reckon you've forgotten all about it now! Hope you and Rosie are doing well at home? Have you guys had a million visitors? 

Please do PM me over your full name and address when you can. 

• Hey everyone. 

So I was up all Saturday night with tightenings again but thought nothing of it and powered on with my Sunday. Come Sunday night they were becoming regular and more painful so rang the hospital who advised me to come down. Once I arrived and they did a few checks they examined me and I was 2-3 cm dilated so was admitted to the ward. 

They advised me I could be like this for a few weeks so I was told to keep going round the hospital walking to help. Come around 3 in the afternoon the pains were a lot worse so the consultant was called for another examination to which I was 4-5 cm I was shocked so at this point I was took to labour ward. 

once there they said they would give me 4 hours then break my waters but wishing 2 little miss gave one almighty punch and broke them for me. 

The pain was so intense I had gas and air and diamorphine at this point and said I wanted the epidural but the doctor was in theatre so would have to wait. 

I was then examined at 12 and I was 8 cm dilated and they finally gave me my epidural and what a relief so 4 hours again and I was fully dilated at this point and started to push but baby was in a funny position so was took to theatre for the forceps. I was also cut a few times to help with the birth to. 

So baby Eloise was born at 07:31 weighing in at 7 pounds 1 ounce she had a little trouble with her first breaths but once she had a little help there was no stopping her. 

Still in shock as it all happened so quick really but I am so happy she is here. Have a very sore private area but its so worth it. 

• Congratulations lizzielouise 💟💟 she is a wee beaut 💟💟💟💟

• Aww Lizzielouise she's gorgeous, sounds like quite the day/night for you but I bet those first cuddles were so worth it! 

• Yes danielle unindatedwoth visitors, we are having a visitor free day tomorrow! Xx

• Lizzielouise she is gorgous! Hope your nunny isnt too sore xxxx

• Hi Lizzielouise, what a gorgeous baby! So many congratulations!!! 
    Bobble - hope you get some along time soon - I found the visitors so stressful! 

• Thanks everyone its still sinking in that I have this tiny human to look after now lol. Had a great first night at home was getting worried as she wasn’t taking much milk but she decided last night that she was hungry a lot so am happy now she is taking more. Managed a good few hours sleep to was good to be in my bed it was 

• Hi ladies, thought I would share my birth story now I have got my head around it a bit! It’s very long... sorry... My birth went so far from my plan and ended in an emergency delivery but everything was absolutely fine in the end! 

I was in labour for 4 days, with contractions coming irregularly but around ever 10-30 minutes each time. It started with fairly intense period type pains at 7am on Monday morning and began to get quite painful by about 11pm on Monday. By 3am I was throwing up from the pain and the pressure down below so we rang the midwife but because my contractions weren’t regular enough they told us to wait. 

This went on through Tuesday, contractions getting worse and the pressure still stronger and stronger. I felt like I needed to wee with every contraction but nothing happened. We stayed in contact with the hospital but they kept telling us to stay put as I was more likely to progress at home. 

By Wednesday afternoon, I literally hadn’t slept, barely eaten and been in pain for days. I was in such a state my husband told the hospital they had to see me and we went in. They told me I was only 3cm and I was just devastated. 

However because I was In so much pain they did check me and baby and realised that my blood pressure was high. So they sent a doctor to see me and she said we would need to go to the high risk delivery ward. 

At this point I knew my plan/water birth was out of the window but I honestly didn’t care because it meant I was going to have my baby! 

In the delivery suite they broke my waters, which immensely relieved the pressure I felt with every contraction, so much that every contraction after that felt like nothing like the ones I had been getting at home so they gave me gas and air and I got on with it for a few more hours. But 4 hours later I still hadn’t reached 4cm. 

The midwife also noticed that baby was incredibly low on my cervix, almost low enough to be at 10cm which was strange compared to how dilated I was but that was what was causing the pressure.

She started to monitor him and his heartbeat was dropping with every contraction, probably because he was so low the cord was being tightened every time. 

They gave me oxytocin to try speed up my delivery time, I carried on with gas and air for a while (during which time one of the midwives opened my bladder for me, turns out baby had been blocking my bladder for three days, I can’t even describe the relief!!) but four hours later and I was only just 4.5cm. 

I had a bit of a breakdown at this point as the oxcytocin had affected me quite strongly and there wasn’t even a minute between all my contractions for literally hours and the midwife suggested I try pethidin. I had been against it in my original plan because I was worried how it would affect the baby as he was so small but in the end I gave in and so glad I did! I was considering an epidural instead but because most of my pain was in pressure form they didn’t think it would work as well.  

After having the pethidin I could snooze a bit in between contractions as I didn’t feel every single one, and also made me relax so my cervix started opening much quicker. To be honest it affected me quite strongly and the next few hours are very hazy 😂.

However I remember telling the midwife I really needed to push and she examined me earlier than the doctor said to but said I still was 7cm so nowhere near pushing. 

Around then the baby’s heart rate went through the roof and they put a monitor on his head to see if he was in distress. The pressure to push at this point got so intense that I couldn’t stop myself and I got quite stressed because the doctors all came in and told me I really had to not push because it was making the baby distressed but at some points I literally couldn’t stop and apparently I was just crying ‘sorry’ at the midwife, it was the worst part of the whole thing because I felt like my body was letting the baby down. 

Anyway after he’d been on the monitor for about twenty mins the doctor came back and said we would give it another twenty mins and after that it would likely be a c section as baby was very much stressed out. The midwife got me and hubby all ready for surgery in the gowns etc but when the doctor came back he did one more exam and I had literally just got to 10cm so they asked if we would prefer an assisted delivery but it would have to be very quick.

I 100% wanted to do that so they called in an emergency team and literally everything happened so fast after that. 

I had an episiotomy and suction cap delivery,  (they gave me anaesthetic but it definitely didn’t work... apparently I was screaming and they all had to get me to focus in order to push!!) All I remembered is that I pushed maybe 8/9 times and suddenly baby George was out at 5am exactly on Thursday 2nd August. 💚.

They did give him straight to me but it was such a blur and then they took him to monitor him as his heart rate was still almost 200 beats a minute but gave him back to me a matter of minutes later.

I don’t remember anything else apart from holding my boy for a few minutes but they were still stitching and I was still feeling all of it without the anaesthetic so I asked hubby to hold baby George, apparently I got stitched up and delivered the placenta but about half an hour later was still quite spaced out and was convinced I hadn’t, the midwife had to be quite firm with me! 

I lost too much blood so had to be monitored on the high risk unit for a while plus George was still being monitored after his crazy delivery but honestly I have already forgotten those 4 days because all that matters now is that he’s here and he’s perfect!! Hopefully it gives other FTMs a bit of confidence that even if it’s all going a bit pear shaped it’s all gunna be okay. Photos below of our gorgeous boy. 
  • Helscee what a labour you had sounds awful and very long. So glad use are both doing ok now and yes the assisted birth isn’t the best but in the end it’s getting your little  bundle of joy out that matters most and he is just beautifu. Make sure you get plenty rest and take it easy. 

• Thanks Lizzie, it definitely didn’t go as I expected at all but I think a lot of it was down to how low the baby was which is apparently quite unusual so I’m guessing it wasn’t a normal labour! Assisted delivery was crazy at the time but I guess you were probably like me and you just get on with it because it’s all about the baby at that point, I don’t think it was as scary as I thought it would be tbh!