Forum home Archived Birth Clubs Due in December 2015
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Due in December 2015 Part 3

Replies

• AH lovely Sunny!  They are a lovely pushchair aren't they?!  Ours is sky blue - I don't think its sky blue, its darker than sky blue in my head, but still, its blue! ha ha :-)

• We went for the Mothercare Orb. Have it in black as it was in the sale before we knew what team we were. Mother has veen busily making crochet blankets to kit it out with! 

Getting it out if the box and garage this weekend so it doesn't get damp and I can't wait. 

What changing bags did people go for? I love mine so much that I can't wait to use it! 

Went to a NHS run breast feeding course last night and it was really good informative. It was run by a midwife so she could tell when what would happen from birth onwards. Definitely learned a lot and now feel a bit more confident! 

• Hi Squeak - our chaging bag matches the pushchair, its a Silver cross one in the same colour blue as the pushchair - it came free!! Lol.

are you going to breastfeed then? xx

• Hello Ladies,

it's so crazy how far we have all come in our pregnancies! So I want to start off by saying congratulations to everyone!

I do also have a question for my fellow RH- mommies like myself - I am 30 weeks + 3 days and still have not received a shot. They said that they had to give me some kind of other shot to see if my body has already developed antibodies towards the baby and if it has I'll have to wait until after labor to get the shot... has anyone else been told this?

Also, when do they start checking for dilation? someone told me they do that at 37 weeks but as a FTM I have no idea how true that is.

• Yep I am going to plan to breastfeed and see what happens. I am deliberately being open minded about both the birth and breast feeding as I know there are so many variations as to what can happen. 

We went for the Pacapod changing bag - got discount at work which was lucky as they are quite expensive.

In terms of dilation I have no idea as I am also a FTM but I have a friend who is 40w tomorrow and she is having a stretch and sweep today. 

• Definitely Squeak!  Best way to be really!!  I am so glad I didn't have a rigid birth plan that I had pinned my hopes on because mine just went t*ts up! :-S  The Health Visitor asked me if I had one this time and I said no, I will just go with the flow like I did the first time and see what happens.  She was pleased really, cos as you say there are so many things that could happen!  Some mums then feel a failure if they don't have the birth they wanted :-(  Sad really because however your baby is born, its such a miracle it shouldn't matter!

I have never heard of those change bags but they sound very nice! :-)  You need one you like, it becomes your handbag for a good 12 months!  I nearly bought a new handbag on my hols and I said to Hubby there is no point, give it a couple of months and I can use my 'new one'! he he ;-)

Hi Alex - I am no RH - so I wouldn't know anything about that I am afraid.  With regards to dilation, over here (certainly in my first experience) they didn't technically check it until in labour.  They will check you when you have a sweep, but that's because they are already in there is that makes sense?! Lol.  I was only 1cm when I had my sweep.  But then you get examined lots when you are in labour.  You will know when you need to be checked, just trust your body :-)

• Hi ladies, same goes here for dilation checks, u a gut get a sweep at 40 weeks but then the checks will start when they're checking you for labour and to see how you are progressing during labour, I know here they won't check early unless they think labour has started and they want to see how far along you are.

As to prams we've gone for the graco mosaic, purely because I had similar one before and loved it. It's all black as it will live in the boot but I have been busy too making blankets!

And I have tracked down the changing bag I had for my youngest daughter! Boxed up in the loft its good as new lol I have also bought a larger than I usually use messenger type bag so I can pop out with a nappy change in a separate pocket lol

It's all getting very real now, the Moses basket was delivered yesterday! Eek!!!

• Busymamma it's nice you can use the same change bag 😊 I did find mine out but it looked old and worn! Lol.

Eeeekkkk to the Moses basket!! Not long before there is a baby in it!

• I'm planning on breastfeeding but just incase will have a box of formula at home ready. I don't want to put too much pressure on myself if it doesnt work out.

i like the nova Harley changing bags, they look like big handbags, I'm hoping one for my birthday.

is anyone having a baby shower? My sister in law has offered to organise one for me.

need to get a Moses basket, I was buying one off a friend of a friend, but she sold it already.

• Oh my days ladies I'm so excited!!! Me and hubby have FINALLY agreed on a name we both love!! We had a few that one of us loved and the other thought it was ok, but we've finally found one! Our 'Dave' is going to be a Jacob 😊 I'm just very excited so had to share with you lovely ladies! Lol xx

Gaeaf15 yes I'm having a baby shower.....my sister and step mum are organising it, all I know is the date, time and where I have to be. That's it! Kinda nice really xx

• Swanny that's fab news about your boy's name 😊 Jacob is a good strong name.

Up too early this morning to make sure my son was up was up for work ok. Do we ever stop doing stuff for them (he's 18!).  Was treated to a nice baby hiccup session when I first woke up! 

Not sure about a baby shower Gaeaf15. My nursing team have something up their sleeve I think!😁 

As for changing bags,  I'd not thought about them!!  Best see what I fancy xxx 

• Thanks Sunny :-)  Its strange as I feel more relaxed now.  I am a really organised person so I like to have these things sorted.  I think Joshua and Jacob are nice, but then I would! Lol x

Do you know, you sound just like my Mum with my sister.  My sister is 19 (big age gap between the 2 of us, I am 30!) My Mum will still set her alarm to go and wake my sister up rather than get my sister to set her own alarm!  I am sure you say the same as my Mum - "you kids will always be my babies!"?!

Changing bags is just a world of confusion for me! Lol.  That's why I was glad I got the Silver Cross one free - made the decision for me ;-)

• I also like to be organised so we don't have much more to do. Just a few small bits and pieces here and there. 

We are spending time this weekend trying to get the nursery more organised as everything is just chucked in there at the moment. I just don't like clutter!

Got a question -  do any of you lovely ladies have a belly piercing? I took mine out right at the start of my pregnancy but I have woken up this morning and the top hole is stretching sideways and is red and sore. My stomach feels really tight at the moment as I think I'm having a growth spurt but just wondered if anyone else had this? I have applied loads of moisturizer today so hoping that will make it feel better.

• Snap Squeak!!  My boys will be sharing a room, but we have had to get a bigger unit for the clothes for in their room, this will be here at the weekend, so I can start sorting through Joshuas clothes (he's just had a birthday!) and then put all of 'Daves' clothes away now most of them are washed! :-)  It doesn't help because all the things you read say you should start getting organised!  Makes you feel the pressure doesn't it?!

I don't have a belly button piercing, however my best friend did/does.  It didn't effect her when she was pregnant though :-(  Maybe keep an eye on it and see how it goes!?!  Do you have some savlon or anything like that you could put on it?

• Love the names Jacob and Joshua! I like names that go together ha we have chosen a boys name, Deian, it's Welsh but oh doesn't seem to like discussing girls names! I think he is settled on having a boy, he is ignoring the girl option! 

oh i need to get organised! thats why my sister in law suggested a baby shower to help me get the few bits.

ive got a belly piercing and same took it out at the beginning, I've not noticed anything different so far. But if your having a growth spurt could be irritating a little? Agree with swanny, maybe some savlon or antiseptic to keep it clean?

• I have been putting vaseline on it for now - its not infected just looks red and is a bit sore. i think it is more down to stretching than anything. I deffo this I am having a growth spurt as Pickle has moved position so is longer and the top of my belly feels tight whereas I have been used to him lying across low in my belly. 

Have the GP next week so can always ask her - she is also pregnant at the same stage as us!

• I use Savlon (magic cream as Joshua calls it! lol) for everything.  I think I am obsessed! ha ha.

I think Dave has moved too Squeak!  I am sure he has gone long ways rather than across ways.  My bump shape seems to have changed the last couple of days.

Do you see the GP as part of your antenatal care??  Up here we don't see the GP other than at the beginning to confirm the pregnancy.

• Hey ladies, how is everyone? 

Swanny I love those names - we have names but I'm still undecided as to which order.....

Squeak have you tried bepanthen cream? It's our house version of magic cream lol very soothing and helps heal skin quick ( from a grazed knee to a sore sniffle nose or a tattoo it works !)

Has anyone had a visit with a health visitor yet? Ours called and booked an appt to meet and greet us! Apparently it's a new thing to get to know family's before baby arrives, with our last daughter the h/v came a couple times and basically said I know what I'm doing call if I need her lol

• Hi Busymamma - We asked Joshua to say Jacob too, just to make sure he didn't struggle with it.  He sounds so cute when he says it!  But then I would say that :-)

Yes, I had a visit with the Health Visitor on Monday actually.  I was surprised, because as you say, first time round it was a case of after a couple of months it was up to me to get him weighed or contact her if I needed her.  It was a nice experience though.  If its anything like my visit, she will talk to you about past births and things and then ask you if you have any concerns and explain when she will visit when baby is born.  And its a chance for them to introduce themselves to you so you know who to look out for.

• Oh I hope its a different h/v! 

Our last one (4yrs ago) was a newly qualified 23 Yr old who looked scared of her shadow and hadn't had a steady boyfriend never mind hands on experience with a baby! 

I know I have five kids but each one is very different so its like starting from scratch again lol well almost! I would just like someone with a bit more " life experience " to advise I think....so fingers crossed x