Forum home Archived Birth Clubs Due in December 2018
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Due in December 2018 - Part 2

Replies

• Hello ladies

Hope you've all had a good weekend.

Londoner so glad to hear your scan showed no problems- hopefully put your mind at rest a little.

Good luck for today also Tam10. What do they actually do at the 16 week appointment?

I have a question for everyone... what are your views on people vaping around you? I can't find a definitive answer but some swear it's perfectly fine whereas others mention the release of chemicals, carcinogens etc released into the air which sounds concerning.

• I'd be interested to know about vaping too.

My dad is never without one hanging out of his mouth and the house is a sickly fog! He says its just water so fine to do around me even though it makes me feel sick!

• I just think they haven’t been around long enough for people to know of the potential dangers so I avoid being around it as much as possible, same as how I react to cigarettes. Just feel it’s better to be cautious. 

• My midwife said that me vaping is fine as just water vapour and flavourings. So I assume being around it would cause no problems at all? All she said was to cut down the nicotine to 0mg when I can x

• Yes my father in law is using one. Whilst I'm happy he's stopped smoking, I'm still not comfortable being around it but he is so stubborn and uses the same excuse of water vapour.

I've also been told not to let him near the baby once born unless he's scrubbed his hands first as if any liquid has leaked from it, it can be toxic... I don't know anything about it except the contradicting articles I've read but the toxicity in the liquid itself doesn't sound harmless :|

• The vaping liquid contains chemicals other than nicotine and the reactions that take place when exposed to heat create other compounds which could potentially be harmful. From what I’ve read, as Olivia said, there hasn’t been enough research done yet to show one at or another how harmful vaping or second hand exposure to vape fumes is to people / pregnant women. I personally would always err on the side of caution and not be around a person vaping in an enclosed space. 

• Quite disappointed that scare mongering is going on here.

• I don't see this discussion as scare mongering?

I have received an answer back now from an nhs midwife who basically said if you are a smoker and can't cope with just giving up then vape pens are seen as a safer method to help quit than smoking

however they shouldn't be encouraged as 'safe' to use as the reality is there isn't enough research to know the effects as they do contain potentially harmful chemicals still but they are at lower levels than in cigarettes.

They also advised that again whilst it is certainly better to be around a vaper than a smoker, you should try not to be passively breathing it in due to the unknown effects.

I guess if you are comfortable carry on, if you are unsure or unhappy don't put yourself or baby at risk.

• I see the link about foetuses getting craniofacial deformities as scare mongering 🤨

I am no longer on the vape due to being able to quit over the last 9 weeks as baby was a surprise and not planned. 

• Ahh fair enough... I thought a university published article would be quite reliable.

Well done for quitting! How are you feeling do you suffer with many cravings following stopping? Ive never smoked so cant begin to imagine how hard it is but watched my mum struggle with it over the years.

My friend's sister tried vaping to help give up smoking on her surprise pregnancy but she was getting that many bad effects and stress, it was deemed her baby was more at risk and midwife advised her to have one or two cigarettes a day instead. She was given a carbon monoxide monitor to check her levels didn't go over a certain amount.

Everyone's situation is unique and there's so much conflicting advice I guess we just have to trust our midwife to give us the best guidance based for us.

• Thank you! Absolutely awful. Never craved a cigarette so much in my life, but then again trying to finish uni, work and losing 2 people very close to me may have something to do with it. But keeping it up and proud of myself for that! 

Its difficult with constant conflicting information. They need to make guidelines and stick to them because my midwife didn't really bat an eyelid and then that study is saying it causes facial deformities... Doesn't seem right to me!

• Wow i can imagine all of what you're going through would certainly make things harder- you're doing amazing staying so strong!

Definitely got an amazing reason for keeping with it though :) are you struggling much with preg symptoms? I've felt so rubbish that I couldn't imagine keeping strong with other cravings also.

It's all so contradictory isn't it. This pregnancy lark is complicated enough without medical professionals offering different advice! Would certainly think that the nhs should have one viewpoint. All we want to do is protect our babies as best we can!

• Thanks ladies. Got to hear the heartbeat😍 was lovely. Checked bp, wee, discussed results of bloods, got appt for gtt. Got the go ahead to restart slimming world👍

• Glad your appointment went well tam! So exciting!

stnurse... I wasnt trying to scaremonger at all! And don’t appreciate the insinuation that I was... the question had been asked so I was responding. I chose that article specifically because it was a university published research report so figured it would be somewhat more reliable. There are plenty of other articles I read (like one on the daily mail!) that I chose not to post a link to because that’s hardly a reputable source! 😂. Anyway... yes I know it’s very frustrating that there is conflicting advice & sadly that is probably because not enough research has been done on it yet but you just have to do what you feel is right... anyone who judges others is being unfair and needs to spend a day in their shoes first. Conflicting advice is nothing new either... about so many different topics and it really does cause anxiety for mothers to be... for example when I was pregnant with my son we were told not to use any mosquito repellents with deet in them.. so i was following that advice this time around & using natural remedies that were not working and have been eaten alive... which makes me worry about the risk of Japanese encephalitis as my booster is due but I can’t have it now that I’m pregnant... but after a friend and I talked she said deet is not recommended!! So I looked it up and sure enough the AAP and the CDC both now recommend using deet (in large amounts!) while pregnant!! So it really is such a minefield. 

• * deet is now recommended 

• I had my gender scan last Saturday and turns out were having a baby boy! So happy and had midwife appointment today and she listened in to the heartbeat.  
    It's so lovely to hear

https://us.v-cdn.net/6030864/uploads/ForumPostImages/201160.jpg

• Awwee iheartmybaby and congratulations on team blue💙 what was babys heartbeat? Im looking at the old wives tales if heartbeat and gender guess lol

• Thank you! She didn't actually tell me the bpm sorry she just said it was a good heartbeat, sorry I couldn't be of more help! 

• Ahhhhh congratulations on your baby boy!! So two boys so far!! So exciting! 8 more torturous days of waiting for me!!! It’s my wedding anniversary today and we are off to test drive prams hahha how times have changed 😂😂