Forum home Birth clubs Due in December 2020
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Due in December 2020 - Part 2

Replies

• Options
    Hi ladies, 
    How is everyone doing?
    My pelvis is so bad and am now on crutches. It's totally debilitating and am so sad am not able to enjoy this wonderful time.
    Anyway breastfeeding is part of my job so thought I wld answer....
    Its best to start expressing pretty much straight away as it helps bring your milk in. You can also double pump if need be.
    It's advised that u express 8-10 times in a 24hr period
    Always put baby to the breast first tho and straight after a feed u can express.
    You can keep doing this until your milk is fully in 
  • Options
    Hi @MissM2203 how annoying for you I bet your exhausted. I don’t know if it will help but if your having lower back pain or other aches with it I would greatly recommend the blue deep heat roll on I’ll take a picture and attach. I liked the look of it as it’s drug free.
    I’ve found it amazing with any aches and pains although I’m sure yours are a lot worse. 
    Thank you very much for your help im finding it a bit of a minefield at the mo but desperately want to give it a go! 
    All my 3 children and husband have coeliacs which is an auto immune disease and I read breastfeeding can be so helpful with gut health and the general microbiome etc I felt so guilty I hadn’t breastfed the others although I know I couldn’t necessarily have stopped them getting it it would have been some help.
    Would you recommend I buy a pump before he’s born to take in
    the hospital if so manual or electric? 
    Also when would you advise I introduce a bottle of breast milk as I would like hubby to feed too if possible and have read sometimes babies don’t take the bottle too well. 
    If your still reading thanks 😂 Xx
  • Options
    @Mitzy8
    Thank you for that recommendation I will get DH to go get me some today.

Don't ever feel guilty about how you fed your babies, so many women put a lot of pressure on themselves when it comes to breastfeeding and it often doesn't work.
    Have a relaxed approach and arm yourself with knowledge beforehand
    It's entirely up to you whether u start expressing a few weeks before your due date, I personally never have. 
    Lots of skin to skin contact with baby and allow baby to feed straight away for as long as u wish at first feed and start expressing as soon as you feel up to it.
    I would suggest electric pump and have always found the medela ones the absolute best. They are a little pricier but worth it.
    For introducing baby to a bottle I think it's best to wait until breastfeeding is well established.
    Sometimes introducing a bottle too early can cause nipple/teat confusion. 
    U can use a cup for small amounts of EBM which ur husband can do while ur in postnatal ward.
    Also a comfortable chair and always have water beside u as it can be thirsty work feeding.
    Lots of positions to try also and u will find which one works best for both u and baby.
    As I said earlier tho it's so important not to pressurise yourself too much.
    please feel free to ask me anything and I will try and help x
  • Options
    Hello everyone, 

Does anyone have something that helps count baby kicks? I have heard there is something, I don't feel loads and I think I would feel more assured if I knew baby was kicking away and I was just missing it xx
  • Options
    Hi ladies, 

I had my private scan today. I’m still in shock as I was convinced I was having a boy. But it’s a little girl, I think that makes it a hat trick 😍

Missm2203 01.12.20 💙

Mrs BeeL 03/12/2020 💙
    Súkkulaði-1 03/12/2020 💙
    Em162 6/12/2020 💙
    Louttc83 07/12/2020💙
    YummymummyofWR 14/12/2020 💙
    mitzy8 14/12/2020 💙
    Toothfairy82 16/12/2020
    Emmy012 17/12/2020 💙
    Ell02 18/12/2020 💗️
    SarahC06 19/12/2020 💙
    Winter2020 19/12/2020💙
    Remembertobreathe 20/12/2020 💙
    Sophieann08 20/12/2020 💙
    SIAI 25/12/2020  💗️
    MrsB4812 31/12/2020 💗

• Options
    Aw a third girl 😍
  • Options
    Aw congratulations @MrsB4812 💗
  • Options
    Mitzy8 said:
    Thanks guys hadn’t even thought of nipple cream! I’ll get some. 
    If anyone did express when did you start?

I’m just hoping it would help free me up a bit so my little boy doesn’t feel left out. 😂
    I breastfed my daughter. I used a Hakka on the opposite side to what I was feeding on and built up a massive supply. You don’t need a steriliser for breastmilk bottles or equipment, only for formula. 
    I sterilised mine anyway 🤣
    I ended up combi feeding as my daughter has a lot of health problems, very low weight gain, lip and tongue ties and allergies! 
    If you want to ask anything more I’m happy for you to message me on here!

havent been on in a while
    looks like everyone’s progressing well
    in 25+3 today.  Baby is VERY active, more so that my first and my bump is about the size of 38 weeks with my first! 
    Finding it quite hard to stay active at the moment, it’s either too hot or raining! 
    Still being sick at random things!

hows everyone else doing?
  • Options
    MissM2203 said:
    Hi ladies, 
    How is everyone doing?
    My pelvis is so bad and am now on crutches. It's totally debilitating and am so sad am not able to enjoy this wonderful time.
    Anyway breastfeeding is part of my job so thought I wld answer....
    Its best to start expressing pretty much straight away as it helps bring your milk in. You can also double pump if need be.
    It's advised that u express 8-10 times in a 24hr period
    Always put baby to the breast first tho and straight after a feed u can express.
    You can keep doing this until your milk is fully in 
    This surprises me, the breastfeeding support team here, who are incredible, and most websites say don’t express till 6 weeks once your supply is established? Hakka is fine but not pumping! It’s interesting to hear different advice than I’ve seen before 
  • Options
    MrsB4812 said:
    Hi ladies, 

I had my private scan today. I’m still in shock as I was convinced I was having a boy. But it’s a little girl, I think that makes it a hat trick 😍

Missm2203 01.12.20 💙

Mrs BeeL 03/12/2020 💙
    Súkkulaði-1 03/12/2020 💙
    Em162 6/12/2020 💙
    Louttc83 07/12/2020💙
    YummymummyofWR 14/12/2020 💙
    mitzy8 14/12/2020 💙
    Toothfairy82 16/12/2020
    Emmy012 17/12/2020 💙
    Ell02 18/12/2020 💗️
    SarahC06 19/12/2020 💙
    Winter2020 19/12/2020💙
    Remembertobreathe 20/12/2020 💙
    Sophieann08 20/12/2020 💙
    SIAI 25/12/2020  💗️
    MrsB4812 31/12/2020 💗

Congratulations!! Another girl!!!
  • Options
    @MrsBeeL
    I have to do my breastfeeding update every 2yrs and have worked the same job for 14yrs and I have never heard of not expressing before 6 weeks? 
    Where I work we have UNICEF baby Friendly accreditation (awarded prestigious award for breastfeeding) 
    Online can be very confusing and conflicting.
    If baby is going on and feeding a dream to start with and settling then u don't have to express at all if u don't want to but I wouldn't want women thinking they must not express unless over 6 weeks or milk supply is in as that is misinformation.
    Expressing along with feeding helps with milk supply in the early days.
    First 24hrs we encourage our women to hand express and it's always been the case? 
    Very interesting you have been told differently 
  • Options
    I’m intrigued by using a Hakka.... I breastfed both of my girls exclusively beyond 12 months but could never express. I never leaked milk either. What are the chances of it working?
  • Options
    @MrsB4812 YAY! Congratulations!!
  • Options
    Congratulations with a girl @MrsB4812
    If the prediction of @Toothfairy82 is correct then we'll have 4 girls in this little group, and 12 boys ☺️ lovely!

Good to read the tips on breastfeeding, thanks ladies. I am realising a pump will be good to have from the very beginning. It's a small baby with a big shopping list 😁 Except I've already been given away so many newborn clothes I won't be needing to worry about that. I think I'll just get something cute and special for the very first outfit and I'll be covered for the rest. 

Few more updates from me:

I now have an appointment for a whooping cough vaccination. Anyone else doing that?

Got a bouncy ball to sit on, will see how that goes :)

Best to all!!!
  • Options
    Em162 said:
    I’m intrigued by using a Hakka.... I breastfed both of my girls exclusively beyond 12 months but could never express. I never leaked milk either. What are the chances of it working?
    I never leaked at all either. 
    Just got a couple of ounces each time and could put the days worth together and freeze, but most of the time it was used within a couple of days. 
    Just check guidelines on mixing and how long to store for. 
    Hands free Hakka tip, but a hair band round the neck of the Hakka and loop it over the clip on your bra strap then if you knock it off or baby does you don’t spill it everywhere! 
  • Options
    @MissM2203 thanks so much for your help and knowledge I will check out those breast pumps. I am such a newbie to this and although I’m reading a great book it’s lovely to hear from a person who’s done it. 
    I’m hoping by December the breast feeding support groups will be back on and I can go. 
    @MrsBeeL thanks for your Hakka advise looked at these they are very reasonable in price might buy one and hope to save every drop! 
    I remember last time my milk came in I was in agony and couldn’t even lie down sit or dress properly does anyone have any advice on how to avoid the pain or would I not have that as from birth I’ll have already started breastfeeding? All previous babies were formula fed so when milk came in a few days later was that just what it feels like or was that engorgement as they weren’t being used ? Xxx
  • Options
    @Mitzy8 from my limited experience, the only thing that helped with the discomfort was feeding, feeding, feeding. I remember learning that better by the second time. Warm baths and comfortable clothes etc help a bit. Funny how you forget.... that morning when you wake up and your boobs are rock hard, it’s hard for baby to get a good latch when you’re engorged and you’re desperate! I had terrible mastitis the second time and was so unwell, also got a very bad cracked nipple on one side that required antibiotics so hoping to avoid those things this time! The things we do eh?!
  • Options
    @SIAI I had my whooping cough vaccine at 20 weeks 👍🏻 Drink lots and lots immediately after is the best tip I’ve ever had on that one. And have it in your left arm if you get the choice, unless you’re left handed! 
  • Options
    @Em162 your braver than me 🤣oh god I can’t imagine feeding when they’re that painful I only hope maybe mine was worse as I didn’t express or even attempt feeding with the others ? 
  • Options
    Em162 said:
    @SIAI I had my whooping cough vaccine at 20 weeks 👍🏻 Drink lots and lots immediately after is the best tip I’ve ever had on that one. And have it in your left arm if you get the choice, unless you’re left handed! 
    Excellent tips thank you very much!!!