Forum home Birth clubs Due in July 2020
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Due in July 2020 - Your labour and birth story thread - share your birth story here!

Hello everyone!

We thought it was time to kick off your very own labour and birth story thread for those of you in the Due in July 2020 birth group. 

Please use this thread to tell us all about your labour and birth, and your first moments with your newborn and we will come and shower you with congratulations! 

We can't wait to hear all about it. 

Replies

• Bubbles57Bubbles57 Regular
    edited Jul 8, 2020 11:42AM
    Hello ladies😊

Here’s my labour/birth story!

So it all began on 30/05, me, my partner and my son decided to go for a walk to our local country park as the weather was beautiful and we wanted some fresh air. When I got home, I went to the toilet and noticed my mucus plug had started to come away. Instantly I thought, “oh no“. As that was my first sign when I had my son. 

Anyway I felt “fine” as I could be at that stage of pregnancy so I went to bed not thinking to much into it. However I had a very restless night and at 1am I felt the cramping start. My 4am I couldn’t stay in bed any longer so I got up and ran a bath to try and ease the cramping. At this point it wasn’t intense but it was painful enough to want it to ease off. My son woke up as I was filling my bath so I had to wake my partner up too so he could look after him (my son was 1 coming up 2 at the time). I went in the bath but couldn’t get comfy in there either. 

We all went downstairs and put the tv on and tried to relax. However around every 20 mins or so I get getting very bad pains which made me literally jump up and I had to lean over the arm of the settee and breathe through it. By this point I was thinking yes something is definitely happening. It got to 8am and i rang my stepmam who is a paramedic asking for advice. She told me to ring maternity ward just to be safe and see what they suggested. So I rang them and they told me to go in for 9am to be checked over. 

9am came and by this point the pains were every 5 minutes. They took me straight in a room to be examined as they could see I was distressed and in pain. They did an internal examination and said “yes you’re 6cm!!”. My jaw nearly hit the floor as I wasn’t expecting to be 1cm nevermind 6cm! So the midwives told me to ring my partner who was waiting outside to come in with all the bags as we would be having a baby very soon!

I was wheeled round to the delivery suite where my partner was waiting and took into our room. The pains were intense by this point so they put me straight on the gas and air to ease it for me. My next checkup was at 1pm where they were going to check if I’d progressed anymore which I was convinced I had with the pains being so intense and regular. But I was still only 6cm when they checked. So they decided to break my waters as that usually helps to dilate and boy they were right. Within minutes of my waters being broken I went from 6cm to fully dilated ready to push. I started pushing around 1:30pm using gas and air only as they didn’t want to give me anything stronger with me only being 35 weeks. And by 14:01pm 31/05/2020 our gorgeous baby girl Edie Marie was born weighing 5lb 11oz👶🏻💗 4.5 weeks early. 

My partner was allowed to stay until 5:30pm until I was taken onto the ward as I had to stay in with baby being prem. Our hospital policy is to be kept in 72 hours with a prem baby. This part of the whole experience is what I hated the most. I wasn’t a first time mam but it didn’t make it any easier being on my own with a brand new baby. However I couldn’t fault the midwives. Fully dressed in ppe at all times but the treatment and care they gave me was second to none. I couldn’t fault them at all. 

With Edie being prem, it took her a while to learn how to feed. She was taking almost 2 hours to have the recommended 25ml. So I had to have the midwives help and encouragement to get her to feed. By night 3 (Tuesday) Edie has much improved and if she kept it up for the next few feeds we would be allowed home on the Wednesday. At this point I was dying to be home as I was missing my son and my partner and the guilt had well and truly set in as my partners first few days with his baby girl had been taken from him. 

Wednesday morning came round and I was in a great mood as I thought finally! The end is here and we can go home and start life as a family. However when the neo natal nurse came to give Edie her final check, she was concerned about her jaundice and said she needed a test to check her billirubin levels. The nurse said if her levels were too high we would have to stay another night so Edie could receive phototherapy. So off Edie went for her test and I prayed and prayed that she would be okay. The midwife brought her back and said her levels were just low enough to be allowed home so I could pack my bags and wait to be discharged. I was beyond ecstatic! 😁

So 03/06/2020 we finally went home. It was a totally different experience to when I had my son but the care and kindness of the midwives remained the same❤️

Edie is now 5 weeks old and thriving more than ever. She’s currently weighing 8lb 8oz🍼 she loves her milk! 

• @Bubbles616 how amazing are you to make it to 6cm at home 😱 
    Edie is beautiful. I’m glad she’s putting on weight and doing well. 🥰🥰
  • @MrsP13 honestly I was so shocked! I done 4cm at home with my son and the pains were worse with him so I certainly didn’t expect to be 6cm when I went in this time!😱

thank you so much🥰❤️
  • Well I was supposed to be induced wed the 8th at 4pm, but baby decided to make her own start on things on wed at 1am!! Was having bad contractions every 3 min for 4hrs so decided to go to the hospital around 6am and found out I was only 2cm dilated and about 50% effaced! So they said to go walking around town for a bit to see if that would help, I did that, then decided to go home and labor a bit there! 5pm rolls around and we decide to go back to the hospital to find I was a whole 7cm and 80% effaced! quickly transitioned from 7cm-9cm then got stuck at 9cm for 3 f**king hrs!!!!!!! Worst pain ever!!

Finally got to 10cm and pushed baby all the way down but she was being sooo stubborn I couldnt get her head out and pushed for 2 and a half hrs! The dr decided to use the vacuum on babies head to help get her out and after 3 more rounds of pushing I had my beautiful baby girl on my chest crying her lungs off!! 🥰 6lb and 7oz!! 
    19 inches long! And a TON of hair ☺

My waters also burst all over one of my nurses! But I didnt poop during labor and only ended up with a mild 1st degree tear that needed 2 small stitches!!  
  • @thinkingpositive1

Ahhhhh she is so beautiful. Well done mama, sounds like you done amazing🥰 xx
  • @Bubbles616 thank you ! 😊  how are you doing recovering?? 
  • @thinkingpositive1 I’m doing great thank you 😊