Forum home Archived Birth Clubs Due in June 2016

The Due in June 2016 Big Birth Announcement Thread!

124»

Replies

• Hi ladies, well as I expected I was the last one to pop! But having the last due date I guess that was to be expected! So sorry, this is a bit of a long one!

i had a false alarm on Tuesday of last week having thought my waters had gone, however I carried on as normal, even returning to work for one day on the Wednesday! 

Thursday night I was up all night with strong regular contractions, and I lost my bloody show when I woke up on Friday morning, but no contractions annoyingly! I went in to be monitored however my tightenings weren't strong enough and i was only 1 cm dilated. I was given a sweep and sent home to wait things out.

I spent the rest of the day bouncing on my birthing ball and resting as best I could, but suggested to my husband that we went for a long walk in our local park.

i slept soundly Friday night, not even waking for a wee which I instantly thought strange when I woke up at 8am on Saturday. As I rolled out of bed I felt a pop and then knew I needed to run to the bathroom! Luckily I did as my waters went everywhere along with my bloody show! But still no contractions.

I phoned the hospital who advised to stay home until I was getting contractions, otherwise to go in at 6 to be monitored ready for induction. Within  15 minutes the contractions were coming on strong and so I phoned back to say I needed to come in.

upon examining me they told me I was still only 2 cm but could give me some codeine and go for a walk. About half an hour later I was in agony and insisted I needed to be admitted and needed something stronger! They gave me pethadine and admitted me to a ward where I managed to half sleep and grit through the contractions. 

fast forward 4 hours and the pain was becoming unbearable. I was re-examined and thankfully 5 cm so I could be admitted to the labour ward.

fortunately I was low risk so could use the delivery suite with birthing pool, tv etc. After 2 hours in here with just gas and air, I could feel the need to push! I was asked to be re-examined and had gone fully dilated. I entered the pool and the contractions were slowing, so the midwife suggested I stop the gas and air and ride out the pain - which I somehow agreed to! 

at 22:13 I successfully delivered little Lily in the pool with no pain relief at all. I was incredibly proud of myself! 

I had decided to try and deliver the placenta naturally and so waited the hour to see if it would come away. The hour passed and still no sign so I agreed to the injection. Unfortunately there was still no sign of my placenta and so the midwife tried to manipulate the placenta by pulling on the cord. This then snapped and so I was left with no option but to leave my new baby with my husband and go to surgery for manual removal

i was so disappointed after the amazing labour i had had, but knew it was just one of those things.

i finally got reunited with hubby and Lily at 3 am and got to a ward at 5 am, completely exhausted but completely besotted with Lily.

We were discharged last night and have had a lovely chilled day with my parents visiting and our first midwife check.

heres hoping to another successful night tonight!

• Your birth story is amazing Bug! It's very impressive that you went through the most painful bit without pain relief - well done you!! It's a shame you had to go into theatre for the placenta removal but hopefully you're recovering well and are enjoying your new little girl.

Vxx

• Bloody hell Bug and here I was thinking I was tough only having gas and air! You're a trooper!! It is a shame about your placenta but the rest of your labour was really positive and sounds like you handled it really well! 

• Sounds like you coped brilliantly Bug, well done.  It's all worth it when we get our babies. image