Forum home Birth clubs Due in June 2020
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Due in June 2020 - Part 2

Replies

• Hey Ladies haven't posted in a while ! Been so busy as I work for a hospital in London and it’s been manic but now self isolating ! Saw the midwife last Tuesday who rushed me in then rushed me out and now I have worries! I’m 28 weeks + 5 days and baby is measuring small at 25cm (belly measurements) this is our first baby and I suffered with extreme morning sickness that I haven’t even put on any weight! After midwife she told me to go hospital to get a scan which has worried me more as because of the virus my hospital are refusing to do scans! Did anyone measure small previously and was okay? Doctors are refusing to see me at the 31 week appointment so I have to wait until May for the 34 week to see my incredibly rude midwife again. Luckily I don’t need to stress with self isolation as work are paying me full pay until maternity starts on the 1/06/2020 so that’s one big stress off my shoulders. 

I no I shouldn’t worry for baby’s sake and she is a little mover which makes me know she’s okay but is it okay to measure small? Also suffering with incredibly bad heartburn with anything I eat or drink!

hope everyone is staying safe ! 
  • Hi @MrsParaskeva,

I understand where you are coming from. I am 29 weeks and had my 28 weeks appointment last week with the midwife which was very quick. I am measuring slightly under average as well as I was 26cm and haven't put on much weight either (+4,6kg so far). I luckily still got a scan on the same day and everything was fine. The midwife didn't seem worried about measuring under or slow weight gain but I am fairly petite (5'2) so it made sense to her.
    I would say based on my experience only not too worry at this stage. Have they identify any risks at the 20 weeks scan?
    The only reason I had a scan at 28 weeks was because of a risk of high blood pressure and pre eclampsia to be monitored.
    As long as your belly is growing steadily and you are monitoring baby's movements it should be okay. 
    It would be more reassuring to have a professional to confirm that theory but maybe try and give a call to the triage number of your midwives team to ask your questions as they are legitimate.

Hope that helps! Good luck :) 
  • My midwife never weighed me but i didn’t see my usual midwife as she was off so I had to go to a different place I hoping that I will get to see my midwife at my next appointment!! I did call the doctors today about my heartburn tho I’m going through gaviscon like it’s going out of fashion and I’m struggling to eat because it hurts so the doctors have prescribed me something which I’m hoping will help it’s like I can’t get food down because it burns and stings and it wakes me up constantly if it’s true what they say about heartburn and hairy babies I think I’m going to be giving  birth to Chewbacca 😂😂  your only measuring slightly under and if you have been mad at work hopefully things can catch up with a bit of rest I wouldn’t worry too much xx
  • Just catching up on here, I wouldn’t worry too much about baby measuring too small or too big as I know often the measurements are ‘off’/subject to error anyway. I know people who have been sent for scans and they have said baby looks fine. Hopefully this will be the case for you! 

Even more reassuringly though one of my friends was sent for multiple scans throughout her pregnancy and had a tiny bump but she actually delivered 3.5 weeks early and baby was a very healthy 6lb 9! Likewise I know ladies from my yoga class who have been told their babies are going to be big and then they are perfectly normal sized! 

• MillP said:
    I feel the same @georgiatim, I’m losing so much sleep! I’m praying by the time we get closer we will be past the peak 🤞🏻

As for home births, I had already been speaking to my midwife about one before all this however, I have had a couple of friends that have been told they’re stopping home births because of the additional pressure it puts on the nhs, which is understandable! I’ve got my next midwife appointment on Monday so will see what she says to me then 

I hope your pgp doesn’t cause you too much hassle :-( 
    I’ve got low iron so just started on tablets for that. Bit annoying I had bloods done nearly 3 weeks ago and they only told me yesterday! No wonder I’ve been feeling so rubbish, hoping they make me feel a bit better soon! Xx
    I’m not sure how true it is that home births are stopping or maybe it depends on the trust? 

I wasn’t considering a home birth but with the current Coronavirus situation I also am thinking about it. I saw my midwife on Thursday and she didn’t say anything about them not being able to go ahead.... also things are changing all the time, lets keep our fingers crossed that things are a bit better come June! 
  • Hi everyone! 
    Hope everyone is doing great and not worrying to much although it's such a stressful time :(
    I had a scan yesterday as they said baby is measuring small at 2.4lb at 28+4 has anyone had anything similar at this stage or had the estimated baby weight? 
  • Hi ladies hope your all doing well and keeping safe! 

As if we haven’t got enough to worry about I’ve just been sent this petition to allow women to have a birthing partner during covid-19 and I can’t believe they’re even considering it! Not sure of petitions work or count for anything but there’s no way I will give birth on my own I need my partner with me. Please sign it and forward it on too, and let’s all hope this is not something that happens! 

• @Vickyjay1 not personally but think it’s quite common. See my comment above!
  • I can’t see how they will ever stop us having at least one birthing partner..... else we’d all be opting for home births where we can control who is there........ and that could cause more issues than having one partner at hospital. It seems unethical so I personally don’t think it will be brought in. 
  • @Jetty1989 This measure has already been applied in France, Italy and the some states in the US. I had a friend giving birth yesterday in France by herself as the hospital won't allow partners anymore. There is a chance this could also happen in the UK - although I really hope it won't. I have signed the petition 2 days ago just in case. Hopefully things will have calm down a bit by June...let's see!
  • Jetty1989 said:
    I can’t see how they will ever stop us having at least one birthing partner..... else we’d all be opting for home births where we can control who is there........ and that could cause more issues than having one partner at hospital. It seems unethical so I personally don’t think it will be brought in. 
    So just heard an update apparently what they have said now is you can have 1 birthing partner with restrictions. Partner can only be there whilst giving birth and they can have the skin to skin time but then will be told to leave immediately and can not return until mum and baby are discharged. And they have stopped home births completely as they don’t have the resources 
  • Do you know if this is the same for wards where you have a private room during labour/birth and after birth? My hospital doesn’t have wards that you share a room with other patients after giving birth, they are all private until discharge. If so then if medically fit to do so, I will be self discharging as soon as I can. I can’t bare the thought of my partner missing out such special bonding time with his daughter 😭 
  • Thanks for the comments ladies I no I shouldn’t worry about baby’s size but it’s just hard not too with everything else going on! And regarding the situation with me i am giving birth in my hospitals birthing centre with a private room I can have on birth partner who can stay with me but my husband is not allowed to any scans, midwife appointments or hospital appointments etc this is our first baby and I really hope my husband can share everything with me if it turns out that he can’t even be there we will be devastated. 
  • Then I guess if theses measures are in place still come June then I’ll be one opting for a home birth 
  • Bubbles57Bubbles57 Regular
    edited Apr 1, 2020 12:47PM
    They are cancelling home births otherwise I would have opted for one too. They said that home births take a midwife away from the hospital setting and if you need an ambulance incase of emergency, there are less available due to them being high demand elsewhere 😣 I’m just praying things have gone back to some sort of normality by June 🤞🏻 This is my second baby but my partners first and I really don’t want him to miss out on those special moments 
  • I’ll be telling this baby to stay in till August if this is still going on by June 
  • Hi everyone, we have an article here about pregnancy and corona - we hope it will answer some of your questions. We are updating this article all the time, so if you have any questions, scroll to the bottom of the article and post them there - we'll do our best to get you an answer. 
  • They are cancelling home births otherwise I would have opted for one too. They said that home births take a midwife away from the hospital setting and if you need an ambulance incase of emergency, there are less available due to them being high demand elsewhere 😣 I’m just praying things have gone back to some sort of normality by June 🤞🏻 This is my second baby but my partners first and I really don’t want him to miss out on those special moments 
    @Bubbles616 where did you hear this? I saw midwife on Thursday and registered for a home birth and she said there are no plans to cancel them at the moment in my area! 
  • Oh Laura j I hope that’s true 
  • Where are all you ladies in the uk??