Forum home Birth clubs Due in May 2020
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Due in May 2020 - Part 2

Replies

• thirst is a symptom of gestational diabetes I had it with my daughter I’ve already had my test at 16 weeks and passed that but got to have another at 26 weeks I was in max doses of metformin and night time insulin. My daughter didn’t appear too big in scans but was estimated to be 9lb and came out 7lb 7oz. 
    Maybe request one if anyone is concerned as best to know and catch it early x 
  • Hi @Rebecca1992 hunni i completely understand why you would be upset especially since you have spent money i think its completely normal also dont understand why no potty shot i got one printed out although she joked it was because well it looked quite big on screen 🤦‍♀️🤣 hopefully you will feel better after the re-scan with definite answer xxxx

@PaulaLarr im also feeling more thirsty have done since the beginning tbh biggest craving for me was water in first trimester also waking up now middle of night for pee ive not been tested yet and not sure if i will?? Cant remember if compulsory xxx
  • I felt a bit cheated with my BMI tbh. They weighed me at my booking and I was under 30 so told no need for gestational diabetes check (they check everyone over 30 I believe). However they weighed me again at my 12 week scan when I had a FULL bladder (for the scan) and surprise surprise my BMI was over (30.1) super annoyed as if they’d weighed me after I peed I’d have been under 😂 oh well better to get checked to be safe, plus it’s a morning off work I guess? lol 
  • Ah ok i wasnt sure if weight or age was a factor im 39 so geriatric mum lol and yeah best to get checked i would if offered it to me xxx
  • @PaulaLarr I was the same last time with BMI, When they weighed me at booking I was in big boots and a thick jumper etc which must have added a bit and my BMI was 30 bang on but I did get GDM so was a good job they looked for it as I didn’t have symptoms. As much as it wasn’t the most fun and luckily I was diet controlled it was reassuring that they were keeping an eye on things. I’m a worrier anyway so the extra scans and appointments to keep making sure things were ok sort of felt like a bonus. My little boy was 7lb2oz despite them saying I was measuring big. I was clear at 12 weeks this time but have to go back at 26 to re check. My BMI was 27 at booking this time so fingers crossed I’ve dodged it. 

@Rebecca1992 so sorry you’ve got all this going off. I wasn’t particularly bothered what we had second time round but when they said boy I felt sad that it won’t ever be a girl but not sad that it’s another boy if that makes any sense at all? I’ve got quite a lot of friends who all have boys and said how nice the bond is when they are growing up. Hope you can get some more clarity on Sunday at your re scan xx
  • They only test for gestational diabetes if you are 30 BMI or over? They test everyone here in the states no matter what
  • @Rachel.a21 there are a few different risk factors I think family history is another or if you’ve had it in a previous pregnancy. They don’t routinely test everyone though. 
  • @Frankie86 yup makes perfect sense to me I understand that feeling, if he is a boy I won't be upset because he's a boy just that I will never get a girl, I feel so exhausted after today, think I'm just going to go bed and process it, tomorrow is a day in limbo then can find out for sure I hope xx
  • No one has even mentioned gestational diabetes to me and I’m 31. Will I be tested at some point? I live in England 
  • @Sunshine8888 is your BMI 31 or is that your age? As far as I know it goes on BMI, not sure if age is a factor if you are a bit older, I was 30 when I fell pregnant last time and if it hadn’t been for my BMI they wouldn’t have tested me x
  • Just popping on to make sure I still get notifications! I keep seeing peoples bumps and I'm nearly 23 weeks and barley showing! I'm not exactly skinny so I'm guessing that's why🙈 I'm also just over  5'11 so my midwife said that could also be a factor it's so annoying that everyone keeps saying to me 'your barley showing' like I know people🙈🤣 x
  • @Frankie86 that’s my age. I have no idea what I weigh or what my BMI is but I’ve always been slim 
  • Oh wow. My BMI is 19/20 and I still get tested for it. That’s interesting they don’t test everyone. My friend was small and had gestational diabetes during her pregnancy, I know her BMI wasn’t even near 30. No family history of it either
  • @Sunshine8888 In the states, the test is done around 24-26 week
  • They test over 30bmi family history of normal diabetes previous pregnancy or big baby I believe. They test twice in some people like me and another member of the group have already had their first test then we get tested again at 25/26 weeks. 

@Courtj97 it sounds like your baby will have lots of room ! I’m only 5ft3 so already struggling with the stretching and discomfort which is to be expected! Hopefully your baby will get plenty of spinning space hehe x
  • @Lillian2410 that's what I keep telling myself I can feel her bouncing around kicking ect I don't know why the size out my bump is getting me down at first I loved it but by now I was expecting to see a difference🙈 x 
  • Been for the scan and had it confirmed that baby's a boy xx
  • How do you feel hunni any better? Was it same place that done earlier scan? Did they apologise? I hope your feeling better now you know for sure xxxx
  • Feel better now I know but still hard to get my head around, got a room full of pink stuff and a name and everything that's not gonna happen, they were really appolagitic, gave me a new heart beat bear and the video for free and refunded me for the scan, they said it never happens, had the scan done at nearly 17 weeks... I'm 20 now, guess the boy parts were hiding... Just got to get used to a hole new baby now x
  • That is so unusual that they got it wrong hun... is there anything you can take back to the stores and swop it for boy things ? If you tell them the story they might understand... did u have any boy names originally ?
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions