Forum home Birth clubs Due in May 2020

Due in May 2020 - Part 3

Replies

• Not normally before 39 weeks unless you have a specific reasons why they might want to try and get baby to come before that but normally it’s rare if your under just normal midwife care to have a sweep before 39 weeks 
  • @Rachel.a21 yeah as said above, in the UK you don't get checked for dilation. If you go for a sweep, usually at 40 and 41 weeks, although you don't have to have one it's personal choice, the midwife may drop in the conversation if you are dilated but it's not done for that reason. 
    With my first I had a sweep at 40 weeks, she said I was almost 2cm dilated, but I didn't have active contractions and labour until a week later at 41 weeks. So for me knowing that I'd started dilating just made that last week feel like months haha. 
    It seems in the state's they are much more invasive with their care during pregnancy and labour? Is that right?xx
  • Same here no check and will only give you a sweep a few days b4 due or after due date not sure with regards to induction just going off when I had my daughter xxx
  • I’m 32+6 same as @Chkitty ☺️

I was going to have a home birth but can’t now so will aim for a water birth in the midwifery led unit. Hoping with hubby there but my parents are our closest relative and they’re an hour away so not sure where we stand with them being allowed to travel to us to have our toddler?! If not I have a friend whose nearby that may be able to have him, she’s been isolating for a few weeks already so risk would be minimal. I haven’t asked yet though as waiting to see what the situation looks like closer to the time! 

Yeah no checks on dilation where I am either. I had a sweep at 39+4 with my son, was already 2cm and I had him 14 hours later although didn’t realise my braxton hicks all afternoon was actually the start of labour 😂😂
    I think I’m going to refuse any checks/sweeps this time, want it to happen as naturally as possible 🤞🏻 

Loving the bump pics as always ladies 😍 xx

• That is very interesting. We start getting checked weekly at 36 weeks for dilation. I don’t believe they will do a sweep though until 39 or maybe even 40, I’m not sure as my son came at 37 weeks. We also do an ultrasound at 8 weeks, 18-20, and then 34 which I hear isn’t done elsewhere, just a 12 week and 20 week unless additional are needed for growth
  • Yes everything is very different especially with the condition I’m monitored for .. we have something called bile acids bloods test they take less than 24 hours to come back in the uk and in the USA they can take up to a week to come back .. this condition if bile acids go over 100 after 34 weeks can massively increase the risk of still birth but still they take ages to come back in the USA .. they also induce really early for the condition even though the research suggests that bile acids under 100 can go to nearly term.. it’s very different to the uk 
  • Question, I read on a different group earlier that your not meant to shave before you give birth? Is this actually a thing? I googled it aswell some of it says it's fine other articles say not to 😂 Because I've been doing it and now I'm wondering if I should stop 🙈 it's now all I can think about 🙃
  • I thought I read somewhere that it can increase the infection risk but if I’m honestly I really don’t know.. I’m having a section and they kindley shave the small area for you 🤣

ahhh really struggling with heart burn on medication omeprozol and still having to take gaviscon 😫 really have been struggle the last few weeks everything I eat is triggering it 
  • @Lillian2410 I've never heard of it before and I've seen it a few times today now! 
    At least it's one less thing to worry about 🙈touch wood that's one thing I've never suffered with heartburn, although I've had sickness since like 8 weeks🙈🙈
  • Instead of shaving could you use hair removal cream? 😂
  • @Courtj97 I’ve heard this before but I shaved before I gave birth to Callie and I didn’t get an infection! I’ll be doing the same this time, well as best a job I can as I can’t see a bloody thing 😆 
  • @Chkitty I'm completely winging it sometimes I use a mirror sometimes its a wild guess🙈 I think I'm going to keep doing it, I'll mention it to my midwife if I remember X 

@PaulaLarr it says about that causing infection aswell🙈 I need to stop being such a Dr Google🙈😂 x 
  • Well if any of us don’t prep the area at least we have the excuse of beauticians being closed so couldn’t get a wax 😂
  • @Courtj97 😂 I was really conscious first time round as thought omg a stranger is going to staring at my bits for hours but I actually didn’t care I think because I literally cannot see my toes I thought what I can’t see can’t offend me 😂 

i was in too much pain to even think about what it looked like 😂 

• I was worried about it with my first too, but when you are in labor, that is the least of your worries 😂 I just told myself they are doctors, this is a human body and it’s totally normal! It hurts too much to even try to bend and shave my legs right now lol it’s been hard!
  • So ladies after all the hassle I’ve had with no care and appointment being cancelled I finally received a call today to confirm I’ll have a growth scan and face to face appointment on 1st May!! I’ll also have two telephone appointments on 17th April! 
  • @Chkitty YAY! Did you have to do a lot of pushing/chasing for that? Or did they just realise they’re fools?
  • @PaulaLarr oh like heck did they realise! It’s taken 2 emails, and 3 telephone calls later! 
    I just said I understand the pressure your in but can you not understand how frustrating and scary it is to be pregnant and have all a sudden no care and to be left in the lurch and she was like I completely understand and she rang me back within an hour with my appointments! Should’ve have had to take this much effort though!! Xx
  • That’s so annoying but I’m so glad your persistence worked! Hopefully you can chill out over the Easter weekend now :)
  • @PaulaLarr hope you have a good one! It’s my daughters 1st birthday Easter Sunday 😍🥰x
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions