Forum home Birth clubs Due in May 2020
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Due in May 2020 - Part 3

Replies

• Options
    Ahh that sucks. I imagine it’s a similar policy at my hospital - however as far as I’m aware water births are still ok! I’ll see who I can ask on Friday (if there is anyone - doubt the sonographer will know! 😂) if not I’ll text my old midwife (stopped having her as my midwife when I got the gestational diabetes diagnosis 
  • Options
    I need to pack my hospital bags, I didn’t do it til late on last time but I think as a few of you have said, no idea what will be allowed/not allowed in terms of my partner bringing extra this time. I know the last time I was in I went through my nighties with the labour and birth so he had to bring me more in. I have got breast pads, maternity pads, toiletries, nighties, nappies, baby clothes etc already. I’m waiting for nursing bras and big pants, they’re due to be delivered tomorrow. I took a small carry on size case last time for me, changing bag for baby and nothing for my other half as it all happened too quick there wasn’t time for snacks 😂 I did buy a charging bar for my phone, that ended up being really useful and meant my phone charge lasted me the full two nights I was in 👍🏻👍🏻 X
  • Options
    I have the diaper bag packed and part of my bag packed. There’s a couple things I’ll need to add once we are leaving like my toothbrush and stuff. I do need to add snacks now that you ladies mention it, especially with all this virus going on and not knowing if my husband will be allowed to leave and come back. I remember being so hungry after I had my son. The hospital food is not the best 
  • Options
    I’ve packed pretty much all
    of babies clothes I’ve packed 5 vests and 5 babygrows in the hope
    ill be in and out this time! Two packs of nappies, a pack of wet wipes, 2 packs of pre made formula if she doesn’t latch. Then I’ll pack rest of my clothes nearer the time!
  • Options
    Obviously this could differ between hospitals but my midwife text back the following if this helps anyone?

Hi, pack minimal amount as usual. If you do need to stay in and need more supplies he can meet you at the main entrance quickly to bring things to you. I know it’s not ideal but the bed spaces are small so you don’t want loads of bags or car seats 😊
  • Options
    I haven’t had that from my midwife and obviously depending on room in your hospital but I had plenty of room when I was moved to a ward and shared it with 5 others. We took a big duffel bag then car seat as I was in for 3 days prior to having Callie so I needed my stuff. Take what you feel comfortable as You won’t want to be going to and from the entrance to collect stuff x
  • Options
    Yes I was in three days before and in total I was in hospital with Ollie for two weeks so I defo can’t pack that much 😂 I’m going to pack for two nights but they are trying to get people out after a section the next day so fingers crossed it won’t be that long 
  • Options
    Yeah I've taken for baby 2 blankets (with my son he weed on his blanket an hour after birth 🤦), 
    3 long sleeve vests with cotton pants
    3 short sleeve vests with 3 baby grows
    2 hats
    Pack of newborn socks
    1 muslin for burping baby
    1 pack of disposable nappies
    4 reusable nappies (will use these if I'm leaving the Sam day as I can take them straight home, just don't want to be stuck with a dirty wet nappy bag for 3 days on a ward haha) 
    Small folding change mat (tiny one folds like a piece of paper) 
    Nice soft baby towel to keep baby warm when born and placed on my chest! (Ive always ended up with the hospital's own ones before) 
    1 pack of wipes 

And I think that's it for baby! 

• Options
    Literally with my daughter she used one blanket, one vest and one baby grow and one hat. Used 2 nappies and then we were home 😂 
    But my son ended up with 4 days worth of babygrows (at least two a day between wee and breastmilk spilt on him) 
    2 blankets plus hospital blanket. 
    Hospital's own preemi hat
    Went through About a pack of nappies 

Just seemed to need so much stuff for him haha x
  • Options
    Are you guys provided with diapers and wipes and things at the hospital?
    the hospital here will provide all of those things throughout the whole stay and will give you enough to take home as well. I kept my son in the outfits the hospital provided except for the day we came home. I think I’m going to bring 3 outfits with us just in case she’s smaller or bigger and doesn’t fit something well 
  • Options
    @Rachel.a21 our hospital doesn't provide nappys, wipes, formula, blankets etc etc. 
    And mum has to bring out maternity pads etc etc
    Obviously if you go in an emergency and don't have anything they have bits there you can use but they won't just provide them as standard. Am I right in remembering your the US? 
    In the UK I don't think out NHS would be able to cope if they had the extra financial pressure of providing nappies etc x
  • Options
    @StephieLou95 Oh wow, yes I am from the US. Ours will provide everything, including formula, for the entire stay. Then, they send you home with everything leftover from your cart so diapers, wipes, formula, blankets, pacifiers, etc. 
    it really cuts down on what you have to bring for baby to the hospital 
  • Options
    See where I am from they do provide nappies cotton wool milk dummies maternity pads too I’m in Nottingham 
  • Options
    @Lillian2410 that’s really good! I’m Northampton and we get nothing we have to take it all ourselves which doesn’t really bother me because I’m going to need it anyway which is how I see it x
  • Options
    I think different areas do things differently. I know my hospital don't provide formula as they are BFI so don't promote formula, however obviously they have it as a back up for mums who need it who cant breastfeed or those who run out etc in the short term! 
    I think I like the idea of taking my own because I like my own things and knowing exactly what I have 😂 x
  • Options
    I am lucky that my hospital provides the same brands of stuff I use at home. I would be more hesitant if they were using a lower quality hospital brand 
  • Options
    Somthing odd is happening... Sorry if this is tmi... But I'm like leaking but not really? Like I honestly felt like I'd wet my self could feel like the warmness on the inside... And I was like umm what? So went to check and there's barely anything not even wet hardly, but iv felt the warm feeling like somthing was coming out a few times now but it's a few drops if that? Don't kmow if I shoild ring up or not I don't want to go over nothing and it's not wee because its not the right hole if you know what I mean it's like further up... This is deffo tmi I'm so sorry 🙊 x
  • Options
    @Rebecca1992 give them a call. Although you can’t see any wetness it could be your waters, it’s not always a burst like in the movies! Best to get checked out or at least make them aware!
  • Options
    Same keeps happening to me the first time I had not long had a wee and also sorry if tmi but smelt it too check 🤦‍♀️😳  anyway had it checked and they said not my waters (tested it) but said it could be discharge......however, my 32 week scan had less fluid than the 30 week so I'm interested to see if its decreased somemore or not on my scan Thursday if it has I'll be asking questions if it hasn't then must just be discharge xxx
  • Options
    Oh should add that my knickers where wet xxx
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions