Forum home Birth clubs Due in May 2022

PUPPP Rash Postpartum

Hi everyone,

I gave birth to my wee girl last Saturday. For the last month or so in my pregnancy I developed a really itchy bump. I was concerned it was something serious so checked with my midwife and consultant, they did a blood test but no concerns. Nothing else was said, I was told it was probably just my belly stretching from the pregnancy. 

Fast forward to a few days after I gave birth, the itch returned. This time it was worse. I didn’t realise but it was my stretch marks that were itching. They had turned red and were starting to spread round my tummy. There were lots of red inflamed spots all over my tummy and the stretch mark areas had all joined together and the itching was absolutely AWFUL. This rash is now ALL over my body - it has now spread to my thighs, bum, legs and feet, arms, hands and chest. I can’t begin to explain how miserable I am and how unbearable this is. Midwife and doctor confirmed it was the PUPPPs rash (Pruritic Urticarial Papules and Plaques of Pregnancy). 

The doctor has only been able to prescribe me a steroid cream (Mometasone) but it doesn’t seem to be helping. I’ve also been using an antihistamine tablet but again nothing. I have begun trying to look for methods online to see what experiences other people have had - calamine lotion, tea tree oil, coconut oil, oatmeal baths, dandelion root capsules, water and lemon juice (have recently just started these). But nothing seems to be making a difference. 

There’s not an awful lot of information online about this and it is really frustrating. I can’t bear the thought of putting up with this for much longer. The itching is absolutely constant all over and I am really down about it. I’ve read that it is quite rare that this gets worse AFTER birth. 

The next step I’ve got is another appointment with my doctor tomorrow. My midwife has advised that I get an oral steroid so I’m desperately hoping he prescribes it for me. 

I’m wondering if anyone on here is or has been in a similar situation to me and has had the PUPPPs rash before? I have no idea how long it will take to go away. I’m really going out of my mind looking for a cure for this and feel like it would help to talk to someone who can relate. I feel like this will never go away.

Sorry for the long post.