Forum home Archived Birth Clubs Due in November 2017
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Due in November 2017

Replies

• @laura welcome wow 8 yrs gap. You will have a little helper for sure. 

I am 27+5 and expecting my second, the first is 16 months 

• We didn't find out what we are having decided to wait until.baby arrives. We already have a boy who is super excited he can't wait to be a big brother. Pregnancy has been harder this time round felt a lot more tired, felt sick and seem to pick up every bug but at the moment I feel good. I have type 1 diabetes so have lots of hospital check ups and will.be induced no later than 38 weeks :-)

• Ah I work in Diabetes. Sounds like you're doing amazing. Are you on a pump? 

Thatll be a lovely surprise for your little boy too. It's exciting not knowing. X

• Yes I have an insulin pump makes it a lot easier to control :-) what do you do? My diabetes team are amazing the care I have received during preconception and pregnancy has been brilliant.

• imageimageimage

I had my 4d scan today, I have a healthy baby boy with a big nose 😂 Xx

• That's amazing 😊

• Ahhh Jade he's amazing. I wish I had booked one of this but OH wants to wait to see what little blob looks like haha 

laura that's really good. Which hospital are you under? 

Im a area support and sales manager for Ascensia Diabetes care. We do a lot of patient education for young people and also support all the clinics with teaching patients and getting them free products. X

• So cute! I'd really want to do that but we need to keep costs down 😓 that must be a really amazing experience!

• It was totally worth it for me, lucky I was able to have it done. I saw him opening his mouth and tasting the fluid, stick his tongue out and hiccup! Haha x

• Oh and he weighs 1.3kg 

• Wow looks fab. Oh doesn't wasn't us to do this nearly did myself the first time.

Any team pinks wondering if it's team blue season 

• There are quite a few of us having girls. They just happen to be the ones that comment a bit less :P

Has anyone done their glucose screening yet? I just heard that it's a lot more unpleasant than I believed it to be. 

I have mine in about a week and it has me a little terrified as I had a bad experience getting blood drawn from my midwife last time 😫

• I've got one a week on Monday mochi.. how is it unpleasant? :/

• I've had mine on Monday if you mean the glucose tolerance blood test. They take a few samples of blood first then give you a glucose drink to drink and you have to wait for 2 hours. After they will take another sample of blood. It's the waiting that's a pain so keep yourselves entertained as you're suppose to rest whilst you wait.

• That really sucks. She told me it was just going to be a blood test and that's all she said :/ I wish they'd give us a warning first. My husband won't be too thrilled about the wait at all... Does everyone have to do it?

• Your midwife would recommend it if you have one of the following:

Above copied from Baby Centre.

As I had GD with my son, my midwife recommended me to habe the blood test at 16 weeks and between 26-28 weeks.

• I actually don't have any of that :/ my grandfather has type one I believe but no one in my immediate family has it. Maybe they just assumed I'm middle eastern 😅 Its hard being a mixed American in England because no one knows how to classify me.

I don't think Portuguese or Mexican is part of the higher risk category but I'll double check.

Maybe they just wanted to be safe since they don't have much on my background.

• I'm sorry I'm so immature :/ I'm just completely terrified and frustrated. I have to practically do all of this myself since I'm so far from my family and everything is different here. This pregnancy was unexpected but I couldn't be more excited to see him soon. We were planning on trying in a couple years anyway. I haven't had time to prepare myself for any of this and my husband can be a bit distant from it since he doesn't know how to handle it either. He's a wise 27 year old man but even he gets scared too :P It's just hard when you feel like you're going in on this alone and blind.

• My immediate family doesn't have diabetes either but my grandad had type 2 diabetes so the midwife recommended me to have it done the first time round just in case. It turned out I had gestational diabetes at 28 weeks so I had more antenatal appointments and follow up scans to check on the growth of the baby.

Sometimes they may have detected glucose in your urine sample so maybe another reason why your midwife has recommended you to have one done just to be on the safe side.

• Urine testing has been fine from what I been told but it must be because of my grandfather. I'll definitely give it a good amount of thought since this is for the health of the baby and not just me. I have to shove my fears aside for my little boy. He's more important.