Forum home Archived Birth Clubs Due in November 2017
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Due in November 2017 - Part 2

Replies

• Options

I grew up in the heat of California so I've never actually experienced a UK winter 😅 I usually come during the summer here but my husband has warned me how cold it gets here. I'm worried I won't be able to keep him warm enough so I was going to pack the pram with 2 different blankets and pram suits. I always want to keep extra in case he has a bit of an accident while out.

• Options

Is anyone else really nervous about having to feed a newborn? I want to exclusively pump but I have no idea how feedings should work. I'm completely in the dark so I'm afraid I won't be feeding him as much as I should be. I've been trying to look it up but it's so confusing.

• Options

@chantellebd would recommend having at least one pram suit/snowsuit. I had my first last year march and assumed won't need one but struggled to find one I liked as was all out of stock at the time in most shops -online. 

@WLJ I know what you mean mine is usually when I need to stand from lying or seating. 

This baby is so active even at night getting loads of kicks and wriggles.

@Mochi I was like you very worried but most newborns are feed on demand. i.e they tell you very loudly and usually, when they are awake it will feel like they feed a lot in the first few weeks before they then develop a pattern. I don't blame them they have a very small stomach so would often need refilling regularly. You will be fine as motherly instinct will kick in.

• Options

Mochi, I understand your nervousness. Are you wanting to exclusively pump from birth, or are you planning on feeding direct for any time? With my first, I had to exclusively pump for 5 weeks due to being tube fed in nicu. I'll be honest, it was hard work. The other thing to consider is an oversupply. I'm not trying to change your mind, but have you considered feeding direct for the first weeks just to establish a supply, then introducing a pump? 

• Options

I have been told that's a good idea but I wanted to exclusively pump from the start for personal reasons but if it makes the flow more stable for him and easier for me then I'd of course consider feeding directly for the first week 🙂 

• Options

I've just a breastfeeding group on FB and it's very interesting reading everyone's experiences. 

I aim to EBF from birth and it's recommended not  pump until 8 weeks so that the baby can regulate your supply. Apparently at around 6 weeks they cluster feed for a growth spurt and it can feel like you aren't supplying enough but this is natural as it's the babies way of signaling to your breasts that they will be needing more, so the supply increases. 

Just been to pick up our pram. So excited. I love it. X

• Options

imageMy favourite bit 😍

• Options

That's interesting. From what I've heard and read, you can start pumping as soon as you have a supply or is it that women who can't breastfeed use formula for those weeks?

That's also a lovely pram ♡

• Options

WLJ You’ve gone for the silver cross same as us. We’ve got the pioneer  Can’t wait to pick it up. Will be in the next week or two.  I’ve spent this weekend washing and ironing baby clothes. Still feel like I’ve got loads to do and I’m running out of time. Lol

• Options

Ah lovely. What colour? It's so easy to use. I can't wait to fill it with our little blob. 

Mochi I think you probably are fine to express straight away. You just might find yourself attached to a pump a lot. Like when you feed the baby from the bottle, youll probably have to be expressing at the same time. Defi get some advice when the time is right from your midwife or lactation care giver. 

Ive washed everything Now too. I just need into sit and iron as there is no way I can stand now x

• Options

Gone for the vintage red with the graphite chassis.

I too aim to exclusivly BF for the first month or so then I aim to do a mixed express and breast feed. I dont want a baby that is completely reliant on me being around. I want to be able to let my mum and other people take them out without time constraints. Also I want to be able to have a drink over Xmas too. So I can hopefully bottle feed then too 

• Options

Yeah I know what u mean with that one. I want to do a mix once I can. You can still directly feed and have a few drinks. The transfer to baby is something so low that it's not considered a risk at all, so I've been told. I'm not a big drinker,so a G and T will do me for the day haha  

That colour is beautiful. X

• Options

Hi everyone, so we've had a few October babies already, and if you fancied reading about the births, you can find them here
    How's everyone doing during the last hurdle? 

• Options

I've been pretty much looking at everyone's birth stories since the June babies were due :) it's very insightful and I recommend reading some of their stories whenever you have time. It's helped me a lot with my fear of birth.

• Options

Hello! We were hoping you would tell us, while you're preparing to give birth, have you read a book about it, maybe taken a hypnobirthing course, or have you done something else? Please do come and tell us how you're preparing for birth on this new thread here. 

Also, if you've not entered this sponsored discussion yet, there's a few days left before it closes and there's a £150 Amazon voucher up for grabs: just tell us on this thread here, the best advice you had from your folks. 

• Options

So, I'm now 34+2. And ALL day I've had a rock solid bump. It's not worrying me, but I can barely move. So getting stuff done is proving tricky! Doesn't help that Verity has decided she wants to nurse as frequently as a newborn (she is 17 months), and breastfeeding causes a lot of Braxton hicks. Fingers crossed for sleep tonight. I actually slept really well last night for the first time in ages. I think my body was preparing for a difficult day today haha. 

How is everyone else doing today? 

• Options

Well done for continuing with breastfeeding this long. I weaned my toddler at 14 months couldnt tandem feed and felt best to do early so not having to explain why newborn needs feed etc Plus pregnancy aversion 😀

Felt sorry for him. The plan was to let him self wean or when he is 2 as most self wean between 2-3, he still pulls my top etc and is 18 months 

however been having loads of braxton hicks since Sunday didn't have this experience the first time. I am 34 weeks

i read supply dips towards the third trimester she might be feeding more to boost it or another growth phase for her.  

• Options

I don't know if it's a concern but what if I haven't had any Braxton hicks yet? I think I may have but I'm not really sure what they're supposed to feel like so I just believe I've been feeling stretching pains.

• Options

Mochi I haven’t had any yet either, I don’t think it’s anything to worry about as baby is healthy. I had a scan yesterday and he is weighing estimated 5lbs13! Am 35 weeks today. So exciting he is the size of a proper baby almost!

I got the news we have been waiting for since June, my DH had his settlement visa approved so is coming home tomorrow and will not be missing the birth!! 😁 🎉🎉🎉

• Options

I got a nice delivery this morning of my breastfeeding pillow blanket and bedding set!! 

Next week is mission time to start washing baby bits. 

Also went and bought all my hospital bag things. Primark have some good long button down nighties that I got for breastfeeding, if anyone’s interested xx