Forum home Birth clubs Due in November 2019
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Due in November 2019 - Part 2

Replies

• @HealthyGenes1986 I am fully aware of the life span of a baby with Edward's or patau, hence why we are having the amnio...I have just done a lot of research in my wait and have made me own judgement on the way these tests are done. I would decline the NHS screening but pay privately for the NIPT as we don't get on the NHS. Totally understand it is personal choice and I'm not trying to persuade anyone else to not have these tests. 
  • For those saying you’re going to decline tests, that is your right and absolutely fine but just remember why these tests are offered. The mum of a boy in my tutor group had a baby in December, she was born with Edwards syndrome. Her 3 month life was spent in a hospital and then a hospice, being tube fed and various unpleasant sounding medical interventions to prolong her fragile life. It has been devastating for the whole family. 
    I totally understand why the tests are offered, which is why I had the screening this time around. I think though in some cases, if a woman has decided that she would keep the baby no matter what the result; sometimes it’s not worth the agony you go through waiting for result after result.
  • Aww lovely scan pic. I look at mine so much that the corners are all bent over :-P I told the ladies on my team at work today :-). I’m 14 weeks on Wed. No one suspected anything. I have been covering up big time. I’m sporting a noticeable bump. I didn’t expect to show till later than this. This is my first pregnancy however so I actually had no idea when I would show. I just thought i’d be wearing my cute skinny jeans for another couple of months ! Everyone at work were all very supportive and lovely. Hope all goes ok for you tomorrow @Char09. Hope all goes well for you too @Lpop and you hear something back soon :-) xxx

• Completely understand the need to avoid anxiety waiting for test results, please don't think I am judging anybody here. I'm just trying to give another perspective for those who decline all tests for the reason of 'I'd keep it anyway.' Again not saying that is anybody here. 

People who say 'what will be will be' may not be aware of the suffering caused by Edward's - for the baby and parents/family of the baby. It's a controversial issue and very easy to say 'if X happened, I'd do Y,' unless you're actually put in that position. But having seen the suffering of that kid's family I was sure about saying yes to the tests as I'd want to know if I had the chance to prevent that sort of pain to my own child. 
  • Good luck ladies @Lpop @Char09

I’m still waiting for my results they took the bloods on Thursday last week so hopefully the letter comes in the next few days. 

I also received the 20 week scan letter today ☺️ Excited! But decided I’m deffo doing an early gender scan! 
  • When my son died at 12 days old (we turned his life support off)  it was the most devastating thing in the the world for our family, BUT we were blessed We got to spend those 12 days with him, even though what was wrong with him couldn’t be detected by a test done while pregnant. I am one of those people who believes “what will be will be” it is at the end of the day everyone’s personal preference, there is no right or wrong decision when it comes to testing in pregnancy.
    good luck for tomorrow’s @Char09 🤞
  • @Neenaricci I got my 20 week scan appointment today 19th July I’ll be 20+6 it seems so far away yet 😕
  • @Nikkinarno I’m so sorry to hear about your son. I can’t begin to imagine how hard that must have been to watch and I imagine the decision to switch off life support is never an easy one to make. I hope you don’t think I am in any way criticising anyone on here, especially in your situation with your son suffering from an illness which can’t be tested for. 

Just to share my own experiences as well... My my own mum has a degenerative disease and can’t move, talk, eat, control bodily functions etc (think Stephen Hawking but possibly more disabled if that’s possible as she has no trunk strength at all). She receives palliative care round the clock. She was totally healthy until her late 40s then it just came out of nowhere and it has slowly progressing for about 11 years. DH and I waited nearly 6 years for her genome sequencing to come back to give us the all clear as for ages Drs thought it was genetic and there was always that ‘what if?’ With me and my brother potentially being sufferers later in life or passing on a faulty gene if we had kids. DH and I have been together 12 years and we have faced the ‘when are you having kids?’ Questions for around 8 of them! And always I have said ‘some day’ while privately thinking the day might never come as we needed our results for Mams illness. We both agreed while we were waiting for those 6 years that if I am a carrier then we wouldn’t try to have our own biological children  and possibly would adopt. Seeing mam how she is now and the extremely low quality of life she has, there is no way I would willingly start TTC if there was a chance of me passing on that disease. Luckily the results showed no genetic reason for her disease. So whilst we still don’t have answers it has meant we could start trying as most people do without the test results hanging over us. Also this is the reason for my username!
  • Hi everyone, if you have a child already, do you fancy testing, reviewing and keeping a Bebylux Monza Rossa car seat worth around £299? Head to Latest Discussions to find out more! 
  • Hi ladies, 
    Unfortunately it's time for me to say goodbye on the chat. I wish you all the best and healthiest pregnancies. Good luck with everything and it has been nice chatting xxx 
  • Char09 said:
    Hi ladies, 
    Unfortunately it's time for me to say goodbye on the chat. I wish you all the best and healthiest pregnancies. Good luck with everything and it has been nice chatting xxx 
    Oh @Char09 I’m really sorry please feel free to private message me if you need a chat 🙁
  • Oh @Char09 I hope your ok x
  • @Char09 So sorry lovely :( I hope you and your Partner are okay x 
  • @Char09 I’m really sorry, hope you are doing ok x 
  • Well I feel like a complete tw@ I thought everyone had been quiet...I didn't see the message saying the chat had moved...give me a while to catch up 🙄🙄
  • Hope you are ok @Char09 I was thinking of you today with your appt. Sending you big hugs xxx
  • Hi ladies, so we had our gender scan last night and we are having a girl 💗💗
  • @Loz27 congratulations I really want to wait till I have mine to find out what we are having as I’ve always found out, but I think curiosity is trying to get the better of me. I’ve just booked another private scan for 14th June and if I want to find out the gender I can just pay an extra £10 on the day. Don’t know what I’m going to do 😂
  • I don’t think I could be in that position and be offered to know the sex and not find out lol if you don’t find out your a very strong person 😬 
    I just wanted it to be easier buying things x
  • I’ve have had 5 of each so really it doesn’t matter but we will see 😝
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions