Forum home Birth clubs Due in October 2019

Due in October 2019 - Part 5

Replies

• Just come back from my midwife appt and she’s fully engaged! Yay! I knew she was! Did my birth plan and I see her again in 2 weeks! 😊xx
  • @Lmc19xx it’s good that it’s electronic though so nothing gets lost!
    i have a blue book, started off quite thin and now it’s so thick! It’s A4 sized and I have to lug it around everywhere! They like it on your person at all times in case something goes wrong!
    but you don’t get to keep them at the end! You go into the labour ward, hand in your notes and that’s the last you see of them xx
  • @Ellie34 glad all went well! 😊

its amazing how things work so differently in different areas?! 
    You see your midwife at all times and I see midwifes, doctors and stuff! 
  • @MissW1997 I also have to take mines & at the end hospital keep it I guess it is good it’s electronic it would just be nice to be able to refer to it now & again, yeah it is funny how it’s all so different xx
    @Ellie34 that is fab news 😬 clever girl you have sounds like she wants to meet her mummy & daddy sooner rather than later 🥰 xx
  • Thank you @MissW1997 and @Lmc19xx I think she does too! Clever girlie 💖 
    I don’t see a health visitor, not everyone sees them here. I asked about bottles and milk and I have to bring one bottle and ready made milk, so I need to buy some ready made milk tomorrow! Xx
  • @Ellie34 we also don’t see health visitor here until baby is born & my hospital supply all the formula so they told me I don’t have to bring anything even nappies but I’ve packed some anyways it’s all getting exciting 😊 xx
  • @Ellie34 you don’t have health visitors? Who does your baby’s checks till they’re 2 in your area then?
    i see mine 4/5 times until baby is 2! 

I have already bought some ready made milk but my hospital supplies everything there to ensure it’s all sterile which is good! As one you sterilise a bottle it’s only sterile for 24 hours xx
  • @Lmc19xx I only saw my health visitor before baby (just the once on Monday) because I’m a first time mum! It was more her introducing herself, asking how I’m feeding baby and talking about safe sleeping and stuff! 😊

and at 25, 31 and 38 weeks I see the doctor not the midwife as it’s first baby and the doctor does more health checks on me than baby! Although I still get to hear the heartbeat and stuff! As baby gets checked at the midwife appointments! 
  • I asked about the health visitor and my midwife told me I would only see them if she thought I needed to see them, like if I’m young, have anxiety, worried, depressed etc! They must do it differently here! I think after the baby is born I just go to my doctors for the health check ups xx 
  • @Ellie34 oh how strange! I’ve never known any different than a health visitor coming! She’s comes to me 5-10 days after birth, then 10 months, 18 months, 2 and 2 and a half! She does the weights and all the health checks and development and milestone checks x
  • Just been told the Health visitor will visit me one day after labour and then you have an appt 5 days after birth and so on. But I definitely don’t see them before baby is here unless my midwife thinks it’s necessary xx
  • @MissW1997 It is weird how they all do it differently lol you would think it’s the same throughout the country! Xx
  • @Ellie34 I know how odd! I’m very glad I met mine before though! So we’re not strangers when she comes over to meet the baby! Xx
  • Yeah @MissW1997 I have heard a lot of places in England meet the health visitor before baby's here but in Scotland it’s not practise until baby is born then we have all the same visits you have mentioned above right up until there pre school checks before they start school. I think it’s a really good idea to meet them as it’s nice to put a name to the face I work closely with health visitors through my work & they are all so nice. It’s madness how it’s all so different lol. I only met my midwife for 2 appointments at the beginning because I was under consultant I have all my appointments in hospital now & so see the midwifes there before consultant but tbh I don’t feel I haven’t  had a lot of appointments this pregnancy apart from my 4 weekly growth scans past few weeks, we can see our gp anytime if we need to I haven’t had to but most of the time when it’s pregnancy related they just saw to contact maternity xx
  • @Lmc19xx it’s crazy how many appointments we’ve had to realising how little there is left!
    i said to mum today though that I’m getting sick of the sight of the doctors! Tomorrow will be my 4th time there in a week 🙄 Atleast it’s a positive appointment this time though! 

Ive been passed pillar to post due to staff shortages so I’ve had a different midwife every time. It doesn’t phase me though as it’ll be a completely different midwife delivering the baby anyway! Only 2/3 more scheduled appointments after tomorrow unless little lady decides to show early! I’ll be requesting a stretch and sweep at my 40 week midwife if I haven’t gone before then though!
  • @MissW1997 I’ve been same with always having a different midwife but I also don’t mind as you say it will be someone different anyways. Yeah I don’t blame you I would also be insisting on the sweep but hopefully you don’t need that 🤞 we are all almost there now 😊 I’m not back until ext Friday where I will have my pre op & my 1st dose of steroids then back the Saturday morning for the next dose. I also have a class about c section to attend that Friday so that will be a busy day lol xx
  • When can you request a stretch and sweep? Mind you that’s prob different all around the country too! Lol xx
  • Hi ladies just an update,

Been from a scan today (35 weeks today 🎉) 
    Last night I went to triage as I felt a dip in movements from baby but hes back wiggling, kicking etc today. His heartbeat was good last night but midwife could still tell I was unsure so booked me in for scan which I have just come back from. 
    They checked baby and everything seemed perfectly fine, hes also moving alot more so I'm glad I went it was a peice of mind.

She said baby weight is 5 pound 11 and I'm 35 weeks today. She said weight it great.

She sent me back up to triage as notice I was carrying more fluid which now should really be reducing. When I got to triage a midwife said its nothing to worry about as it's only 1cm more fluid I'm carrying that what they class as normal, but as it's over what they class as normal they have to do checks. So she took a blood test which will check for infections but she said she isn't worried at all and I will be going for another scan next week to check the fluid to see if is has reduced. But I'm not worried and neither is midwife, I feel quiet at ease knowing I'm being checked. 
    My last nsh scan was 20 weeks and since that I've been to see my local midwife at my gp so it's nice to get some reassurance from other midwives. 

Also baby looked huge on the scan I could barely make out anything, she said he has hair which is cute. 
  • @Ellie34 they won’t sweep you until 40 weeks with your first! That’ll be everywhere 😊

• My friend has just told me different, she was 38 weeks and she was offered one, that was 4 months ago. Next time I see the midwife I will ask! Xx 
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions