Forum home Birth clubs Due in October 2023
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Early scan - identical twins reassurance

Hi Everyone

Had an early scan yesterday, only to find out that I'm carrying identical twins! Only issue is that I thought I should be 6 weeks and 3 days, but the babies both measure 4 weeks and 6 days! I'm pretty certain of my dates as had been having bloods for ovulation etc, and if they were only 4 weeks and 6 days, I would have conceived the day that I got my positive pregnancy test!

The sonographer said she could see both heartbeats, which i didn't think would even be possible at less than 5 weeks.

Is it possible that my dates are right and the babies are just measuring smaller than expected? Any reassurance or similar stories would be appreciated!

Thanks everyone

Replies

• Options
    I would think if you are having twins then they would measure smaller than a singleton but I wouldn't go by the measurements at the early scan as babies are so small at that size I don't think it's accurate. 
    I had an early scan due to my history and it ended up being a vaginal scan, she measured me 4 days earlier than my date suggested so I'm not going with that date. Got my next scan on weds (I'm actually due in September but there doesn't seem to be a thread for that yet!)