Forum home Product Tests Expert Q&As

Pampers pregnancy and birth webchat part 2:Thursday 30th June, 12-1pm

If you missed Pampers Village Parenting Midwife Mary Steen-Greaves the first time round, she will be back for a live webchat on pregnancy, birth and beyond on Thursday 30th June, from 12-1pm.

Don't worry if you can't make that date or time, leave your question now and Mary will endeavor to answer as many questions on the day as possible.

Replies

• Hi Mary,

I'm type 1 diabetic and 9 weeks pregnant with my second child. My first pregnancy wasn't planned and I developed hypertension, was signed off work from 34 weeks and was induced at 39 weeks (although when they came to induce I was already 2cms!)

This pregnancy was planned and I've spent the last 6 months getting my diabetes under control, increasing my blood pressure tablets (methyldopa), taking extra folic acid, and now that i'm pregnant I'm also taking Metformin as I became very resistant to my insulin last time.

If i manage to keep my diabetes and blood pressure under control, do you think they'll still want to induce me early, or do you think they would let me go to 40 weeks? I very much doubt they'll let me go over!
  • Welcome to today's webchat.

Midwife Mary Steen-Greaves will be here in 15 mins to offer help and support with pregnancy, birth and beyond.

Post your questions now...
  • Hi there,

This is Mary Steen, I'm a mother of three children and been a midwife for just over 23 years. I am a Pampers Village Parenting Expert Panel Member and I'm on-line for the next hour to answer any concerns or queries you may have regarding pregnancy, birth and following birth.
  • Hi Cas1980uk

Thank you for your message. Most women with diabetes type 1 are now well controlled and monitored throughout pregnancy. it is unlikely that your consultant will want you to go overdue your dates. Depending on how well you are and how well controllled your diabetes and whether your blood pressure is within a normal range will have an effect on your care. Usually, when you reach term (38-40 weeks)your consultant will advise you to be induced but it is ultimately your decision.
  • Hi Mary,

My babyb is six weeks old and the skin on her forehead is flaky, which i thought was due to scratching, but now she has red crusty patches along her eyebrows. Is it eczema?
  • Hi,

My son is 7 weeks old. After numerous breastfeeding issues he's now soley breastfed through the day & then formula fed from bedtime & through the night.

He used to go 3-4 hours in the night but the last fortnight he's barely going 1.5-2 hours. It means by the time he's burped & settled back in bed I'm barely getting an hour of sleep before he's awake again. Each time he'll take 6oz of Aptimal, surely 6oz every 2 hours max is too much? Should I switch to hungry baby?

During the day I feed on demand & he'll go 3-4 hours then but be on both breasts around 15 mins each.

I'm so confused & utterly exhausted as I also have a 2 year old & hubby works long shifts sometimes 7 days a week so I have no help.

How can I get him going longer at night?
  • Hi,

I'm breastfeeding my 1 month old baby boy. Does what i eat affect her?
  • hi i am 29 weeks pregnant and i keep getting a sever pain pressing really hard down on my pelvis. ive had a bad headache all week and when i went to see my midwife she said i had protein and white cells in my urine, and SPD. been suffering with bad back ache and babys not been her active self also very much feeling off my food. my stomach feels sore and tender too should i be worried? i have to wait a week for my results from hospital but last night i was in so much pain. thank you
  • Hi Summeruk5

Thank you for your message. It is difficult to say what the red flaky patches are without seeing them. I would advise to check with your GP in the first instance, it might be that your baby has dry skin and this will improve over the next week or so or it might be a skin disorder. Better to get it checked out.
  • Hi Lambchop_Peanut

You sound totally exhausted. Have you discussed your baby feeding problems with your health visitor? I would make an appointment to see her, especially as you have a toddler to care for as well and little family support.

I note that you are mix feeding and not breast feeding through the night. I'm wondering how much over a 24 hour period your baby is taking. Night feeds help to improve prolactin levels and because you are so tired this is going to affect your breast milk supply as well. You definitely, need to see your HV, is there a baby cafe is your area where you could visit to get some help and suppport?
  • Hi DBabber

Thank you for your message. Eat a healthy diet, rest when your baby sleeps and make sure you drink plenty of fluids (always have a drink whilst you are breast feeding as you can feel thirsty)lots of fresh air and you are giving your baby the best you can. Some women have reported that their baby's stools can be loose when they eat certain types of foods but the evidence to support this is limited.
  • Hi Kirstyand stuart10

Sounds like you may have a urinary infection, ring up and make another appointment to see the midwife or doctor. Tell them your symptoms and that you are in severe pain. They should be able to ring the lab for your results and most likely you will need a course of antibiotics.

Also, SPD is painful, you may need to get a Truss (support belt)and a referral to the physiotherapist, discuss this as well. A birth ball will help ease the pressure when you sit on one of these.
  • Just to say thank you to all those expectant and new mums who logged in and asked me for advice. Things will improve and do not be afraid to ask for help if you need it. It is always better to seek advice than sit at home worrying. There is alot of information available for you to access. You may want to check out the Pampers Village website which has several experts that cover a range of topics to help you.

I'm signing off now, Good luck with your pregnancies and your babies. Mary S x