Forum home Product Tests Expert Q&As

Staying healthy during pregnancy and when breastfeeding

Replies

• Hello Daddy Patrick, I'd say don't be too concerned - its not unusual for mums to struggle to find the time and energy to exercise and when youre looking after a young baby as well. However, if your wife is accustomed to exercise there is no reason why she can't continue through pregnancy as long as it feels comfortable and her GP hasn't advised against it. I would suggest just help and encourage her to be as active as she can - and wants - to be.

• Hi MummySara. Mouth ulcers can be a common ailment in pregnancy, often it is due to feeling a bit run down so first of all it’s really important to stuff as much fruit and vegetables into your daily diet, try eating a variety of colours. This will provide your immune system with vitamin C and other anti oxidants to help it remain as strong as possible. I would advise you to see you GP or midwife and get them to do a simple blood test to check for Vitamin deficiencies such as iron and some B vitamins. If you are deficient this can easily be corrected. Meanwhile speak to your pharmacist about a good oral hygiene routine and make sure you see your dentist regularly (which is free during pregnancy) as you need extra dental care during pregnancy. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon. Ang x

• Hello Domi. So sorry to hear you are suffering with morning sickness. I know it tends to get better after the first three months but unfortunately some women do experience this for longer. I don't know what you've tried so far but if your sickness is worse in the morning I would definitely recommend getting up slowly and having something plain to eat such as a dry ginger biscuit or plain toast before you get out of bed. Try to eat little and often as this seems to help some women and avoiding cooking smells (if you can) or eating cold foods may also be beneficial. You could also ask for help with cooking. Tiredness can make you feel worse so try to get as much rest as possible. Angela what do you think?

• Hi Domi, I completely sympathise and I can only liken my morning sickness when I was pregnant with my son to being hungry and hung-over all the time! Vicky has given you some great advice on nutrition but what I would add is that if the nausea or vomiting is really getting you down and interfering with your daily routine you can see your GP who can discuss anti-sickness medication with you. I found travel sickness bands helped me and sucking fruit iced lollies helped. It is important you avoid stress as stress tends to intensify nausea symptoms, and try to get as much fresh air as possible when you feel sick. I hope you feel better soon. Take care, Ang x

• Hello Hummer, I am not surprised - chasing after a 2 year old is really exhausting, when do you actually get time to rest?! You're doing a really good job, try to keep eating healthily. If you are not currently pregnant, a supplement such as a general multivitamin or B or C vitamin may help to support your energy levels. You could speak to your Boots pharmacist for advice about the best supplement for you. Of course if you are currently pregnant or planning to be, don't forget you will need a supplement of folic acid and vitamin D!

• How many extra calories do i need when im breastfeeding? Also my friend recenetly got mastisis... Im really worried about getting it too. Is there anything i can do to stopn getting it too???? X

• Hi Lola77, please please do not be worried about breast feeding and try to ignore the horror stories. Every woman’s breast feeding experience is different and it’s important that you get as much one to one support as soon as your baby is born to help you learn the skills to breastfeed. This can start with the midwives in the hospital and some hospitals have lactation consultants which you can ask for. It’s also wise to find out where your nearest breast feeding clinic is. As this is free and ran by friendly breastfeeding experts who are there for you to help you along and solve any issues that may arise. It’s easy to feel over whelmed with breastfeeding but remember that it’s something that you learn and often doesn’t happen automatically. I know I personally needed extra support when I was breast feeding my son. Your pharmacist is also a good point of contact if you have concerns about taking medicines during breastfeeding or if you decide to formula feed. Good luck and remember to take it a day at a time. Ang xxx

• Hi Happy Bride, congratulations on your second pregnancy! Don't be too worried about gaining weight because it is not recommended to diet during pregnancy. I would focus on eating as healthily as you can and being as active as you can be. Give your diet a makeover with some healthy food swaps such as swapping butter or marg for low fat or no spread, french fries for oven chips or a jacket potato (with no butter - sorry!), try dried fruits instead of sweets or chocolate. I hope that gives you some ideas to get started. As for excercise, keeping as active as you can during pregnancy will help to burn calories. If you are used to exercising there is no reason not to carry on as long as your body feels comfortable and your GP has not advised against it. If you are new to exercise then do take it steady. Ask your GP or midwife about pregnancy-specific exercise classes such as yoga or pilates. Maybe it goes without saying but do avoid contact sports to reduce any risk of harm to your baby. Don't forget to ask about exercise and weightloss advice at your post-natal check-up. Very best wishes for the rest of your pregnancy!

• Hi KateA2, I'm sorry to say that being pregnant isn't an excuse for eating for two - although it may feel that way! Generally in pregnancy, we tend to be a little less active and the body adapts to conserve nutrients. However it is recognised that in the last trimester (3 months) women typically need around an extra 200 calories a day. I know that isn't very much but that's two slices of buttered wholemeal toast, a jacket potato with a little cheese, or a banana and a glass of fruit juice. Enjoy eating healthily but don't overdo it with "treats".

• Hi Sue10, I had a friend who did hypnobirthing and she started this training quite early into her pregnancy. I think this is key as it is about training your mind about your expectations of labour and the sort of pain you may experience, therefore it is something that needs to be practiced. My friend found it very useful in that it helped her feel more in control even though she still felt her labour. Her partner also found the training very helpful as he found he could support her better. I’d say look into it as soon as possible but make sure you look at all your options because labour has a mind of its own and you need to be prepared for which way it decides to go. I personally used a Tens Machine in my labour and I must say I thought it wasn’t working until they took the pads off to give me my epidural and then I found out on my next contraction that the Tens Machine had in fact been taking a serious amount of edge off the pain of my contractions. You can speak to your pharmacist to find out more about Tens Machines. Try to keep an open mind about your birth plan and be prepared with options. Good luck, Ang xxx

• Hi Angela - I think you response to Lola answers my question too! Thank you... I know i have lots more questions as i never get this kind of opportunity to talk to someone like you image

I had my baby two weeks ago and lost alot of blood and currently taking Iron tablets, they seem to be making me very bloated and constipated! Is there another way i can increase my Iron intake without just standard foods such as fruit and veg!! As its VERY low and i need something more substantial. X

• Hi Nicmum, getting the flu is a major worry for mums to be and indeed mums in general during the winter season! No one wants to get ill when carrying their baby or having to look after a new born. The department of health recommends that all pregnant women should get the flu jab. The flu jab is made of inactivated flu virus so you cannot actually catch the flu off the flu jab. This is why pregnant women are allowed to have the flu jab. If you are concerned I’d discuss this with your midwife or GP as it is important to make an informed decision about any medications or vaccinations. You can also speak to your pharmacist as many of our Boots pharmacists are flu-jab trained and can give you additional information about the flu vaccination. What’s also important at this time of year is supporting your immune system with gentle activity, quality sleep and eating as much multi coloured fruit and vegetables. Don’t go anywhere without your anti viral hand gel, which can help prevent you picking up the viruses in the first place... prevention is key! I hope this helps you feel a little more at ease, Ang xx

• Hello Gemli, thanks for your question. Twins, congratulations! I have to say the advice on nutritional supplementation and multiple births is a little unclear. All pregnant women should be taking 400 micrograms of folic acid and 10 micrgrams of vitamin D each day. I would recommend speaking to your GP or midwife to find out if your requirements are higher. Of course healthy eating is really important to provide the nutrients that you and your babies need - if for whatever reason you are struggling to eat healthily you may consider a pregnancy-specific multivitamin and if you don't like oliy fish then you may consider an omega 3 supplement (DHA/EPA as you say) as well. It's worth remembering that cod liver oil shouldn't be taken for omega 3s in pregnancy because it's too high in vitamin A (which may harm your baby). Your local Boots pharmacist will be able to advise you on the most appropriate supplements for use in pregnancy.

• Hi BeckieJayne, thanks for your question. Firstly you need to see your midwife straightaway. Many women can feel a trickling sensation as they get into their third trimester; the most common cause of this is a little urine leaking from the bladder due to the pressure of your growing baby. I’d wear a sanitary pad to capture the leaking fluid. Sometimes it can be amniotic waters leaking and this is why the midwives will check your sanitary pad to assess whether or not its urine or amniotic water. The midwives will let you know if this is your waters breaking but try not to panic as this is a common cause for women visiting their midwife at this point in the pregnancy. Take care and all the best, Ang xx

• Hi LisaT123, You need to make sure you see your midwife straight away. I had the same thing when I was pregnant at 20 weeks so I can understand if you are feeling a bit puzzled , I actually had mild cramps throughout my entire pregnancy and I found that it got worse if I had been doing a lot of standing (as a pharmacist you stand all day!). Sitting and gently massaging around your bump can help ease the muscles supporting the bump and may ease the cramps. If it is mild cramps then this is quite normal and is often caused by your uterus growing and stretching. Your midwife is the best person to advise you on how to manage this and I hope my answer helps you, take care. Ang x

• Hello there,

Are herbal products/teas etc safe to use during pregnancy? I have been feeling really sick lately, and I used to drink herbal tea before I got pregnant, but wasn't sure if there were any guidelines as to how much I should be drinking?

I would really appreciate any advise at this time.

Many thanks,

Dee

• Ps, I am also really curious about alternative birthing plans. Who is the best person to speak to about this? I feel like my doctor is not very helpful at the moment and isn't giving me all my options.

Thank you!

• I am breast feeding and drinking Non Alcoholic Beer when we go out or for dinner with friends. The brand I drink has a 0.05% level of alcohol, is this harmful or dangerous for my baby? Thank you Janine
  • Hi Angela.

Sorry for all the questions... I know this is kind of vague!!! But how in gods name do i cope with tiredness!!! I know my low Iron is a problem, but is there anything else that can help me survive the few hours of sleep I get every night! Sorry to sound like a moan... i obviously love my new baby loads and know it will get easier!

Please help x

• Hi Lucy80. Breastfeeding is your choice and your choice only. It is important you know the benefits of breastfeeding but also some issues that can arise during breast feeding so you can try and resolve them. If you see my answer to Lola77, you can see that face to face support is really important to help you through your breast feeding journey. I have friends that only breast fed, I have friends that could not breast feed and I have friends that decided not to breast feed. We are all different but to reassure you if you decide not to breast feed then make sure you speak to your Boots Pharmacist who are trained on infant feeding and can give you all the non judgemental and up-to-date advice you require. Good luck with the remainder of your pregnancy and remember there is help available and remember if you are ever stuck your local pharmacist can signpost you to the right support. Ang xx

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions