Forum home Product Tests Expert Q&As

Staying healthy during pregnancy and when breastfeeding

13»

Replies

• Hi Elizabeth1927, You may be worried about what to eat but try to think of pregnancy as the ideal time to for eating healthily. No single food can provide everything that you and your baby needs so try to make your diet as varied as possible. It doesn't need to be bland and boring as long as you follow the latest recommendations on eating safely - though I do ackowledge that this advice does get updated and tweaked. I would recommend that you avoid mould-ripened soft cheeses (such as brie) and soft blue-veined cheeses such as (Danish Blue), all types of pate, raw or undercooked food (including eggs, meat, fish and shellfish), certain fish (such as shark, marlin and swordfish), any products made from liver, as well as unpasteurised goods. It is also recommended that you limit tuna to no more than two fresh tuna steaks or four medium sized cans of tuna a week and limit oily fish to a maximum of two portions a week. Happy healthy eating Elizabeth!

• Our thanks to Vicky@Boots and Angela@Boots for their help in answering all your questions. The webchat has now ended, but we're sure they will try and answer any outstanding queries. Click here for more information on Boots UK's new in-store Pregnancy & New Mum Support Service.

• Hi Elizabeth, following on from Vicky’s response. I agree that the information can change and that’s why I always refer my customers to BootsWebMD.com and NHS choices as these are two great online resources that are safe, that you can trust and contain up-to-date information. It’s all about having the right information at the right time.

With regards to alternative birthing plans I would always speak to your midwife first.  Then I would get in touch with local practitioners and find out as much information as possible so you can make an informed decision. Always keep an open mind about birth plans- it’s about being prepared with options that’s key. Good luck with everything and I hope both our answers help. Ang x

• Hi KelYoung, sorry that you are feeling so sick. Fortified nutrition drinks as you mention in your question are designed to provide a wide range of nutrients, vitamins and minerals. However, they may not provide the additional folic acid (400 micrograms) and vitamin D (10 micrograms) that is recommended in pregnancy. In terms of vitamin A, it can be confusing because there are different types. Vitamin A supplements with Retinol are not recommended in pregnancy, but vitamin A with Beta-Carotene is a suitable as your body does not build up stores of this type of vitamin. My best advice is to speak to your local Boots pharmacist - tell them how much of the drink you are having each day and ask them to check whether you are getting enough folic acid and vitamin D. The pharmacist will also be able to advise you generally about vitamin supplementation during pregnancy and give you some advice on dealing with morning sickness (see Angela's answer to Domi). Angela says that the pharmacist is trained to assess how much vitamins you are taking based on which supplements you are consuming in a day and they can then compare this against the recommended daily allowance. Therefore letting you know if you are within the safe limits or not.

• Hi Aoife! Thanks so much for your posts, I think it shows we have such a need for information when we are pregnant or just had a baby. So don’t worry about asking all the questions, it’s important to get the right answers so you can put your mind at rest.

Vicky should have answered you’re question regarding calories with KateA2s answer but if not please do pop in and speak to your Boots pharmacist.

Iron is notorious for upsetting the GI system and often changing onto a liquid formulation can ease the GI symptoms. Speak to your GP or midwife to be changed onto a liquid iron preparation with the correct dosage to treat your anaemia. Once your iron stores build up, you should start to feel a lot better and less tired.

My son was never a great sleeper so I completely understand not getting enough sleep. The golden rule is to sleep when baby sleeps, do not be tempted to catch up on housework- it’s not worth it! Instead focus on regular power naps to help recharge your batteries. I also played shifts with my partner, which meant that we did two nights on and two nights off. I actually breast fed for the first six months so I would express in the evening to allow my husband to do the wakeups. Of course you love your new baby but you are allowed to feel tired and a bit emotional and you are not expected to be a hero! Ask for help and try and go for brisk walks to boost your energy levels. It definitely gets easier; being a parent is the best job in the world but definitely the hardest! Congratulations on being a new mum! Ang xx

• Thank you so much for all your fantastic questions – we’re sorry that we don’t have time to answer them all. Remember that the Boots Pregnancy and New Mum Support Service is available now in Boots UK pharmacies and can provide you with further support and guidance. Boots UK pharmacists are on hand to answer your questions and there is also an information leaflet available covering health, lifestyle, nutrition and beauty topics. Look out for the additional information online that will be launching soon at boots.com/pregnancyandbreastfeeding for you to refer to when you are at home – with either your bump or baby! x

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions