Forum home Product Tests Expert Q&As

Get ready for pregnancy by knowing when you ovulate

Dr Alex Vass, Clearblue Doctor, will be here to help answer your questions about ovulation and conception in our live webchat. Dr Vass will be online on Monday 13 May between 12-1pm and you can post your question directly on the day, or you can leave one for him to answer in advance below.

For more information on this webchat click here.

We look forward to seeing your questions!

Replies

• Hello!

I am so excited to start my pregnancy journey - I started TTC about two months ago and can't wait to finally get pregnant!

Would you recommend that I try and cut out any specific food groups? There is so much conflicting advice and I am not sure if there is anything that will really help me, and more importantly anything that could make my chance smaller.

Thank you

• Hi there, I fell pregnant with my first two children really quickly however now we are trying for number three it has been 6 months and still no positive result! I am forty next year and worry that I have left it too late.

Is there any way that my GP can check my fertility level. Or is there a private test available?

Thanks

• My partner and I are are desperate to get pregnant, however, I work in a really pressured job and I am worried that my stress levels are not really helping. Could you recommend any tips to help me relax a bit more? thank you.

• Hello Doctor,

I am trying for my first baby and have heard that some natural herbs and supplements canreally  help increase my chances of getting pregnant. Is this true, and can you recommend any?

Thank you,

Emily

• Hi, I'm getting married in July, and we'd like to start trying for a family straight away (I'm 36). I've been on the pill since I was 16 - I'm worried that it might take me longer to conceive because of this - is this true, and does my body need a chance to recover?

• hello 

I've read on line it best to have sex a few days before you ovulate and have also read it's best to have sex few days after ovulation? please can you advice best times as my periods are irregular anywhere from 20_26  days

thank you

Michelle

• I have been trying to conveieve for over 6 months now. I am starting to think it will never happen. Should I see my GP?

• Hi Dr Alex, how do you know when you are ovulating? Is this the only time you can fall pregnant? Thank you!

• Hi

i have been on the pill since 2008 after i had my little girl.  i started off on mycrogynon and was then changed to cerazette about 2/3 years ago.  i stopped taking this 4 weeks ago and still have had no signs of any period but have been feeling sick especially in the mornings and really bloated.

How long does it take for everything to become normal again and could i fall pregnant without first having a period?

Thank you

• Hi

i had a missed misscarriage in October and have been ttc since December. Tomorrow is my due date and I am not coping well at all with not being pregnant. With my two sons and the baby I lost I fell pregnant very quickly. I am 38 and am getting worried but my GP is not taking my concerns very seriously. Do you have any advice? I am desperate for a baby

Thank you

• We've got a few questions coming in from Twitter -

1. Just how do you keep the magic alive when having sex to a schedule?

2. Do I need to take a long break from the pill before I can start trying?

• sorry 3 got chopped off:

3. If I know roughly when I got pregnant the first time around, should I aim for a similar time (eg. the same month)?

• Hello!

Hi there

When trying to get pregnant eating a well balance healthy diet is important. Once you do get pregnant you should avoid raw meats/fish and mould-ripened soft cheese, such as brie and camembert, whether it's made with cows' or goats' milk. You should also avoid soft blue-veined cheeses, such as Danish blue, gorgonzola and roquefort.Don't eat liver or liver products such as liver pâté or liver sausage, as they may contain a lot of vitamin A. Too much vitamin A can harm your baby.

Best of luck

Dr Alex

• Hi Pookey

Once you are over 35 your fetility levels do decease but you have only been trying six months and it is quite normal to take up to a year to get pregnant so keep trying and don't loose hope! Make sure you are making love during your ferilte time - a ovulation test kit is the best way to do this.

Your GP can do a blood test to check for ovulation so pop in to have  a chat

Best of luck

Dr Alex

• Hi Marie

Yes being stressed is not helpful in getting pregnant! Simple things like excercise are excellent ways to deal with stress. I also you suggest you speak to your GP about your stress levels as counselling can also help

Best of luck

Dr Alex

• Hello Doctor,

I am trying for my first baby and have heard that some natural herbs and supplements canreally  help increase my chances of getting pregnant. Is this true, and can you recommend any?

Thank you,

Emily

Hi Emily

Oh I'm not sure about that - I'd stick to a healthy diet packed full of fruit and veg. Making sure you make love during the fertile time is my tip for getting pregnant as soon as possible - many couples don't!

Dr Alex

• Hi, I'm getting married in July, and we'd like to start trying for a family straight away (I'm 36). I've been on the pill since I was 16 - I'm worried that it might take me longer to conceive because of this - is this true, and does my body need a chance to recover?

Hi HappyBride

How exciting! Despite your worries, the good news is that the view from experts is that there’s no evidence to suggest the pill causes infertility. This is because the effects of the pill are completely reversible, so fertility isn’t affected at all.

Dr Alex

• I've read on line it best to have sex a few days before you ovulate and have also read it's best to have sex few days after ovulation? please can you advice best times as my periods are irregular anywhere from 20_26  days

thank you

Michellrte

Hi Michelle

Having sex every couple of days is fine right through your fertile time. As your cycle is irregular you would benefit from an ovulation test kit so you can take the guesswork out of timing when you have sex.

Best wishes

Dr Alex

• I have been trying to conveieve for over 6 months now. I am starting to think it will never happen. Should I see my GP?

Hi Hummer

It is quite natural to take up to a year to get pregnant so don't worry! If it comes to a year then yes then see your GP but I am sure you will be pregnant soon!

Dr Alex

• Hi Dr Alex, how do you know when you are ovulating? Is this the only time you can fall pregnant? Thank you!

Hi Domi

Yes you can only get pregnant when you are oculating. Ovulation is usually 12-16 days before your period but as it's hard to be more exact about the timing an ovulation test kit is an easy way to be find when you are most fertile.

Dr Alex

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions