Forum home Product Tests Expert Q&As
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Fertility and 'trying for a baby' live webchat Mon 20th July

2»

Replies

• I have a firend who's 41 and not planning to have a baby just yet as not in a permanent relationship but aiming to become a mum within 3 years max. Is there any way of helping maintain fertility until then? Is there such a thing as an ovarian health check?
  • FYI
    Ovulation test sticks predict ovulation by testing levels of luteinising hormone (LH) which surges to stimulate the release of an egg. The sticks are simple to use urine tests and should ideally be used first thing in the morning when levels will not be diluted by fluids you have drunk. A positive result will mean that you will ovulate in the next 24 to 36 hours.

Count the first day of your period as day one then use the table below to work out when to start testing. If your cycle varies by a few days each month work out the average for the last 3 months. The day you begin testing is listed below the number of days in your normal cycle. For example, looking at the chart, if your period normally begins every 28 days, you should begin testing 11 days from the beginning of your last period.
    For more information or to ask questions direct to a miwife you can go to www.tellsyoufirst.co.uk or come direct to me at www.tipslimited.com
  • My pleasure Shooting Star!
  • Hi OMGIamamum
    This is a good question and although fertility levels do start to reduce from 25 years onwards there are many people delaying motherhood and there is no reason why your friend should not find it easy to fall pregnant. I am not sure about an ovulation health check but following a healthy diet with not too much alcohol, caffeine or smoking (a big no no for fertility esepcailly in the male!) then she should be fine. You can get lots of advice on diet issues from Yvonne Watson athttp://www.foodsforlife.org.uk/
    Hope this helps
    Sx
  • Hi

A pretty basic question really

I have been using a CBFM for the last two cycles and have been TTC for seven months now.

Just wondered if you have any advice on how to boost sperm counts/ male or female fertility.

Also do you have any advice on the best baby making positions.

Getting really frustrated that things are not happening so any advice would be greatfully received.

Thanks
  • Hi Sharon,
    We've been trying for over a year and a half now, and I'm now undergoing tests. Bloods have all been fine as have husbands SA results. I'm now booked in for a Lap & Dye in a few weeks to see if tubes are blocked etc. Have you heard of any good outcomes of this proceedure?
    Trying to keep my chin up but we were recently told that my FSH had jumped up to above the limit level for NHS funding on my PCT, annoyingly they are sending me to a sister hospital to have my Lap and here I would have been under the level for NHS funding!!!
    We are hoping this little op will be the answer to our prayers!!!
  • Hi Sharon,
    We have been TTC for almost 2 yrs. In that time we had a natural preg with m/c at 7 wks, and had IVF in May with a non-viable scan at 7 wks. Finally m/c naturally again at 11 wks.
    Unfortunately, we will have to pay privately for recurrent m/c tests as we don't meet the 3 m/c criteria. How much do you think stress plays a role in m/c and infertility?

Thanks
  • Hi Wif
    Can you tell me what the abbreviations mean first?!
    As for babymaking positions I am not sure any of them work. The best way is to try and synch your orgasm with your partner as this provides a suction that allows easier passage of the sperm up the vagina and into the cervix
    speak soon
    Sharon
  • Hi Babyhope
    Going through tests and constant appointments for infertility investigations is an extremely stressful experience and the best advice I could give you is to book yourself relaxation treatments, especially reflexology and massages because these, even on their own, have been known to increase the chances of treatments working. I am not an expert in the many treatments avaialble but I do know the after effects can be ongoing so make sure you have lots and lots of support for you and for your partner because they find it very hard too and often you can feel isolated. there are many organisations who I am sure could provide you will some help in this area but in the meantime I would like to wish you all the very best. remember to have some time off (sounds strange) but book a holiday and sometimes nature takes over...
    Good luck
    Sx
  • Thanks Sharon,

Funnily enough I went for my 2nd Reflexology treatment this morning and feel very relaxed now. Last time she picked up on discomfort around my 'tubes' areas, whereas today it was barely there!!
    Fingers crossed!!
  • Hi JCB'08
    Stress certainly does play a great part when it comes to fertility issues. As I have said earlier there are many natural relaxation techniques (yoga and meditation) and therapies (reflexology and massages) which can help enormously. It sounds as though you are getting the help yoou need but once again it could take time.
    For more information on diet and wellbeing check out Yvonne Watson excellent website at www.foodsforlife.org.uk
    Hope this helps and good luck!
  • Great news Babyhope!
    BTW yes the tube dye treatment often has amazingly successful success rates so fingers crossed for sure!
    Sx
  • We've reached 1pm now so please no more questions. Thanks to Sharon for her advice on such a wide variety of topics. Thanks too to Babyexpert members for taking part in this webchat.
    Web Ed Nicola
  • Thank you for your questions which have certainly covered a wide variety of subjects! I hope my answers have been clear and that they have helped to point you in the right direction or reassure you that you were doing the right thing all along (which is usually the case!). If you follow your instincts you cannot go far wrong. If you have any other questions in the future you can check out the many FAQs on my website at www.tipslimited.com
    Finally thank you to First Response who kindly sponsored this webchat and I hope to see you again sometime soon
    Byeee Sharon x
  • Hi Wif
    Please pardon my ingnorance but I was unsure what CBFM meant! I do now...
    My answer to you remains the same but I would suggest you check out Yvonne's website as she has lots of tips on how to make sure you are as healthy as possible ready for conceiving. Her website is:www.foodsforlife.org.uk
    Reflexology and massages are great to help reduce stress but the best advice is to just have regular unprotected sex especially around the week before and after your expected time of ovulation.
    You could try ovulation test kits like the one by First Response.The best time to get pregnant will depend on the length of your menstrual cycle (these can vary from 21-35 days and even longer) ovulation usually occurs around 14 days before your period starts i.e. if your cycle is normally 28 days then you will ovulate on the 14th day. This gives a window of 3-4 days when pregnancy can be achieved. This is the best time to try for a baby.
    Ovulation test sticks predict ovulation by testing levels of luteinising hormone (LH) which surges to stimulate the release of an egg. The sticks are simple to use urine tests and should ideally be used first thing in the morning when levels will not be diluted by fluids you have drunk. A positive result will mean that you will ovulate in the next 24 to 36 hours.
    Try to avoid alcohol, smoking, excess ceffeine (fizzy drinks are high in caffeine) and start atking folic acid supplements.
    Any other questions please email me direct via my website at www.tipslimited.com
    Kindest regards
    Sharon