Forum home Product Tests Expert Q&As
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Baby names webchat, 24th March, 12-1pm

2»

Replies

• Options
    Thanks that is a good idea x
  • Options
    Hi Mims,
    You asked the meaning of the name 'Jacob' and you're right, the meaning isn't very nice - it does indeed mean usurper or supplanter in Hebrew. It's after the Jacob of the Old Testament who was born grasping the heel of his twin brother Esau and went on to diddle him out of his birthright - but that's a longer story...
    I must say I'd always loved the sound of the name but the meaning put me off when I was thinking of names for a potential son. However it's incredibly popular so it obviously doesn't put off many people!
    On the plus side, the Biblical Jacob was the ancestor of the twelve tribes of Israel so the boy did good in the end...
  • Options
    Hi MJ1986,
    Thanks for your query. You said your partner really likes the name Memphis. I've never come across a baby Memphis in the UK, but it's currently very fashionable to give babies place names (I think this is a trend that's come from the US) and there are a lot of positives. Firstly, your baby will have a very unusual name, BUT one that people will generally have heard of and be able to spell, which is always useful!
    The downside, as you point out, is that people won't necessarily know if your child is a boy or a girl if they see the name written down. I would say Memphis sounds more suitable for a boy - usually names that end in a consonant sound a bit more masculine - but having said that, it may be more socially acceptable for a girl to have an unusual name!
    If you do choose Memphis, I'd recommend giving a middle name that's obviously a boy or girl's name (Memphis Rose, for example, rather than Memphis Brooklyn), and perhaps a less unusual middle name so the baby could always use that if they wanted. David and Victoria Beckham's children all have very unusual first names but very traditional middle names, probably with that in mind!
    Hope this is helpful; best of luck!
  • Options
    thanks for the reply we was think of Memphis George for a boy!
  • Options
    Hi Mooming Mum,
    Thanks for your query. You said you're looking for unusual flower names. Flower names are lovely for girls and one of the advantages is that there are loads of unusual ones - but people will still probably have heard of them and be able to pronounce and spell them (unless you go with Chrysanthemum, of course!).
    You mention Freesia, which is lovely and not at all weird. Other unusual flower and plant names you might like to consider include Anise, Azalea, Blossom (like Jamie Oliver's little one), Briar-Rose, Bryony, Dalia and Iris.
    Hope you find something you love - just make sure it's not poisonous or a weed!
  • Options
    Today's webchat has now closed. Please do not post any more questions.

Thank you so much to Prima Baby Features Editor, Georgina Wintersgill for such a fun and informative chat. As it was SO popular Georgina is going to kindly stay online and post answers to the final queries.

Thanks again to everyone involved.
  • Options
    Hi Ali,
    You asked about the name Juno - where it comes from and what it means. Well, Juno was a Roman goddess - and of course gave her name to the month of June.
    I like the name, too. It's quite cool, isn't it, what with the 'o' at the end! The only downside I can think of is people misreading it and thinking she's called June - like Terry and June (sorry to offend any Junes out there!)
    Best of luck.
  • Options
    Hi Ally,
    Good to hear from you. You're looking for tips on unusual names that aren't going to date and that your child isn't going to hate you for.
    I think one of the best ways to choose an unusual name is to think outside the box by looking at surnames, place names, jewel names and names from nature (eg fruit and flower names) for inspiration. This way, people will at least have heard of the word - even if they haven't heard it used as a name before - and they'll be able to spell and pronounce it. You could also choose something that has a special meaning for you and your partner - a place you both love, maybe where you were born, or went on a special holiday, where he proposed etc; your birthstone; the month of your child's birth; a family surname used as a first name etc. Another thing that's fashionable at present is using virtues or qualities as names: you've heard of Faith, Grace etc, but how about Harmony or Liberty, for example?
    Finally, I think if you're looking at really unusual first names, it may be worth considering a more ordinary middle name - that way your child can always use their middle name if they're a shy and retiring type, rather than having to change their name by deed poll!
    Best of luck!
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply. Harmony happens to be my husband's favorite name which I point-blank refused because I knew an awful one in school. And we did (jokingly) decide that if we got pregnant on our honeymoon (and it was a boy) then Zazen (the name of our hotel) would be fabulous. We thought that preferable to Bangkok (for either a girl or a boy). What ever we end up with, we will definitely take on board the ordinary middle name suggestion. Thanks.
  • Options
    Hi Ally,
    Ha ha, yes, best to avoid Bangkok. But Zazen is great!
    Best of luck.
  • Options
    Thanks for your questions, everyone. Best of luck with making your decision and enjoy browsing all the baby names books (preferably mine - the Prima Baby Bumper Book of Baby Names)!
    If you're anything like me, you probably had your favourite names all worked out by the time you were about 10, anyway! Now you just have to get your other half to agree!
    Wishing you all a very happy and healthy pregnancy.
    All the best, Georgina
  • Options
    hi, i really like the name neo for my baby boy, me and his dad picked it together, my mum likes it but everyone else in my family is turning their noses up!!
  • Options
    Is the name felix christopher to pretentious??xx