Forum home› Product Tests› Expert Q&As
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

THURS April 2nd - Little Eaters with Annabel Karmel

2»

Replies

• A good tip is that its not good to continue to give only fruit and vegetable purees to your baby for too long as babies need nutrients like essential fatty acids that you find in Salmon and iron from red meat. Essential fatty acids are very important for brain development especially in the first year where your baby's brain is growing rapidly. You need to cook it yourself as manufacturers dont make purees with fish as they are worried about bones. The iron a baby inherits from his mother runs out at 6 months so its important to include recipes with red meat and I like to combining meat with lots of root vegetables and cook it slowly in a casserole so that it is lovely and tender. Remember fruit and veg are low calorie and babies need calories to fuel their rapid growth so its good to mix vegetables with cheese sauce and fruit with foods like Greek yoghurt.
  • Has anyone on this forum tried my Eat Fussy Meals for one to four year olds . You can find them in Sainsburys and Tesco and there are recipes like Fish Pie with Salmon and Cod , Chicken and Potato Pie or Spaghetti with Meatballs. Its always good to get some feedback. It would also be nice to know what your child's favourite meal is ....
  • Here's a good recipe for Introducing Chicken

Chicken with Sweet Potato and Apple

15g butter or 1 tbsp veg oil
    50g chopped onion
    100g chicken breast, chopped
    half eating apple, peeled and chopped
    1 sweet potato (about 300g)
    200 ml unsalted chicken stock

Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the onion and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chicken and saute until it turns opque. Add the apple. sweet potato ad stock. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Puree to the desired consistency. Makes 4 portions Suitable fro Freezing
  • Hi Annable. I bought some meat the other day intending to make some purees for my 9month old yesterday. Then I got struck down by the vomitting bug that he's just recovering from. So far the meat is still in the fridge and hasn't reached its use by but would it have been ok to freeze it when I got ill and then defrost it, cook it and freeze it in purees?
    Thanks, Rachael
  • I was also thinking about using some of your recipes (I have the Superfood book) where there are sauces to just make batches of sauce to freeze and then use over pasta or some of the adult meals. I can think of the cheese sauce and the hidden vegetable tomato sauce. Any other suggestions?
  • hi Annabel

My little one tried your little stars pasta from a trial size pack that was sent to my work. She absolutely loved them but but I can't find them in the shops any where. Please can you tell me which supermarkets stock them?

thanks Flower_Power
  • Hi Flamenca

I think its great that your toddler is wanting to eat your food and enjoys variety. Ive always found it interesting because very often toddler like pretty stron tastes like garlic or curry. I put a lot of ethnic style recipes into my books. Teriyaki Chicken, Paella, Enchiladas, Satay Chicken, Pad Thai Noodles. these are often food that young children enjoy. The more variety you give your child, the less likely she is to end up a fusssy eater.

If you continue giving the same foods all the time like chicken nuggss and pizza the more you will encourage your child to be extremely fussy. You need to break the pattern. I have a new range in supermarkets which includes a mild Chicken Tikka Masala for children and its proving to be very popular..So well done you that she is enjoying your family food..
  • Hi Flower power

So glad your little one likes the mini star pastas. They are organic and gluten free.. I have just launched them in Tesco along with the pasta shells and alphabet pasta which you can also find in Waitrose.
  • Thanks so much for response. Thats great news! I didn't realise I had such a little 'foody' I will encourage her to eat more styles. I guess I just have to go easy on her salt intake?

[Modified by: webmaster on April 02, 2009 01:13 PM]

• Hi Rayl

There is a whole feature onpasta sauces on this site which went up today. One quite popular recipe which is not on the feature is my Popeye Pasta made with 100g frozen spinach cooked and then sauteed in 15 g butter and mixed with 2 tbsp milk , 2 tbsp cream cheese and 40g Gruyere cheese grated. Blitz all togehter and stir in cooked pasta stars. Incidentally frozen vegetables are as good as fresh as they are frozen within hours of being picked..
  • Try this very simple Tomato Sauce, You need to use good quality red tomatoes which are ripe ..

Tomato and Basil Sauce

15g butter
    2 tbsp chopped onion
    150g ripe tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and chopped
    2 fresh basil leaves, torn
    2 tsp cream cheese

Melt the butter ad saute the onion until softened. Add the tomatoes and saute for 3 minutes or until mushy. Stir in the basil and cream cheese and heat through. Puree in a blender.

Makes 2 portions
    Suitable for Freezing
  • Thank you everybody for your questions. My aim is to help mums and dads or even grandparents make nutritious fresh food for their baby / grandchild to give them the best start in life, I have lots of delicious recipes for you to try which I hope your little ones will enjoy ! Annabel x
  • Thank you to everyone who participated in today's webchat and thank you Annabel for such a fantastic and informative chat.

Our webchat has now closed.

For more food and nutrition information, or to purchase any of Annabel's books, including the new -Top 100 Finger Foods' log onto the Annabel Karmel website, www.annabelkarmel.com