Forum home Family life & relationships Food & recipes

Cows milk allergy - what to give to eat?

Has anyone else got a toddler with the same allergy - not intolerance. I am struggling to wean her onto lumpy food. Having to give jars as I know what is in them.

Finger foods? spreads for sandwiches? more variety? help.

Thanks

Replies

• when i was a baby i had an alergy to cows milk. in fact, i had an allergy to anything dairy. this was caused by the lining of the bowel being incomplete when i was born. i used to have soya milk, and still love it to this day. it was something i did grow out of, although i do suffer from IBS now, yet my doctors tell me its not related to the bowel problem when i was a baby.
  • My little one has an intolerance only but it is genetic as i did too when a baby which went away and since giving birth has come back.
    So, all i can suggest is what i do;-
    all the Alpro products are brilliant - especially the custard as my LO struggled to put on weight. they do a jogurt that has a few fruity bits. those and the apple, peach,pear and vanilla recipe by Annabel Karmel were the only lumpy foods my LO would take at first.
    She hated pasta and rice but suddenly at 11 months, she took to them and now loves them.
    She wouldn't touch jars of food until about 10 months - only food i had made and then i was able to slowly introduce lumpier food. having said that the only commercial baby food dhe would eat for ages apart from sweets, was the Plum make.
    Be careful though. We found an apple crumple that had no added milk products and LO was very sick - beware the no ADDED milk products
    Good luck
  • Be very careful with soya milks and products - although my eldest son was fine with them, my youngest developed an allergy to the soya as well as normal milk!! My youngest, bless him, is 18months but only the size of a 9-12 month old (just about getting into some 12-18month clothes now althou most swamp him a bit lol). Just make sure u get her weighed and measured regular as even if she might look on the small side, regular growth can been seen.

Alex has a hypo-allergenic milk prescribed from gp (it smells absolutely foul so I flavour it with strawberry nesquick lol). We're lucky as he's that bit older now so only has 2 5-6oz bottles a day. Also, he seems to be growing out of the main part of the intollerance as we are now introducing normal yoghurts/fromage frais into his diet and he's doing ok. When we were weaning, we also used mainly jars as we knew what had been put in them.....but, we did find he liked the fish from fish-fingers, chicken, banana, sandwich meats like ham, green beans, potato - all chopped up into small bits for little fingers!! Like all weaning, it's hit n miss and what they turn their noses up at 1 day, they can't get enuff of a week later!!!! One spread we used to use (until Alex became allergic to the soya) was Vitalite. It's dairy free but nowhere near as expensive as that Pure!

The good thing is, most products now-a-days have an 'allergy' box and will state if they contain milk products etc so it does mean shopping can take a bit longer in the beginning (til u get used to which products do/don't have milk in them) as ur constantly scanning the ingredients n stuff but worth it!
  • Thanks for your replies. My LO loves the Hipp jars but I know I need to get her onto normal food. I have been giving her the alpro yoghurts although I think now she is getting bored of them. I tried the custards too and she loves them.
    I do try to make things myself but am not very good in the kitchen and sometimes would not even eat them myself....terrible isn't it. Have asked for help from HV but just gives me the usual advice of what I already know.
    Does anyone know of any support groups or other web sites that can help. You do the searches and come up with american stuff which is of no help.
    LO is coming along fine but am just worried about returning to work soon and leaving jars. Bad mummy I feel! maybe a bit strong but I am trying with finger foods too. She loves bread on its own, banana, melon - I just need to get her to eat veggies and meat, when its tender.
    thanks again for any help offered.
    :\)