Forum home Family life & relationships Food & recipes
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

cheap but exciting recipes?!

we're moving out next week (into temporary accommodation) and if we can find money for a fridge and oven i need to think of cheap things to cook jack for dinners!

if we cant get the money jack will be havin jars of food for a while which is expensive..

Replies

• Hiya, lentil/veg dishes are nice and cheap and nutritious. My lo loves this www.annabelkarmel.com/age-range/babies-6-9-months/recipes/lentil_recipe
    It makes quite alot so you can freeze. How about cauliflower cheese, baked potatos with various fillings, leek and potato soup? Good luck with the move
  • If you do have to buy jars and you have a Poundland shop near you they do some jars where you can get a few for ??1.
    i have only had them for emergencies but they may be good if you're not going to have a fridge strait away.

i love making stuff myself and i do quite a few diff recipies which my LO loves. he's coming up to 7 months so most is still quite pureed.

I tend to just puree what we are eating e.g if we have a roast dinner, i just don't add salt to anything until i've taken out the baby's portion. so i might puree some chicken (you can finely chop if your little one is older) veg and potato. i often put garlic in with my roast chicken. the good thing about doing this is that you will be cooling for yourself anyway and if you puree enough for 2 meals you can freeze or refrigirate for the next day.

i also do beef mince and onions with potato and veg and again don't add salt and just blend some for the baby before i add salt for us.

if you're not into cooking too much then avacado is fab and you can mash it with banana or yoghurt or with poached apple, pear or plum it's a real favourite of mine.

I could go on forever i'm a bit obsessed with food, hope you get on ok