Forum home Family life & relationships Food & recipes

20 month old feeding

OK- This is not a huge problem_ i realise Im very lucky but just looking for tips if you've had similar problems.

My 20 month old boy Is good at eating fruit-will eat almost any. He'll eat toast with jam or banana or butter, and any kind of homemade soup. he will also eat most things i make i.e spag bol, sausage casserole, pastas, chicken if with mash and gravy. and doesnt refuse veggies when mixed in.

However the last few days he has started to refuse to eat things like his pasta. He also will not touch anything solid like a chip, fish fingers, sausage, peas, dry chicken. Im not sure how to get him on to eating more things that are not in sauce or mixed in together.

Perhaps he is a little knocked off with christmas, however it doess concern me that he wont eat more solid, texutred things as I said. Any thoughts?????

PS to all mums who ahve a toddler that will eat nothing I know i am very lucky!!!!!

Replies

• My little boy is 18 months and a good eater too like your lo but occasionally goes off his food and its normally for one reason, he doesn't feel 100%. He doesn't have to be full on poorly, sometimes its been when he's cutting teeth... could this be it with your lo? If he's cutting back teeth that might explain why he doesnt want anything that involves much chewing? I always worry when my lo doesn't eat but he alwasy goes back to his good habits when he feels himself again so i try not to worry.

hth xx
  • Hi jellybelly, I am worrying about the same thing at the moment. And like you I know that I'm really lucky to have a child that eats really well - almost anything i give to him as long as its liquidy like stew or saucy pasta. Dont know how to move to the next step with him though and be able to give him a plate of food that isnt basically lumpy liquidy mush!! He will eat some finger foods, basically bits of cheese, toast and fruit but anything else seems totally offensive to him!! He wont even touch it, just tips it off the high chair!
    He has a wheat allergy and so eating when out and about or making quick meals is very hard without the bread option and it took us months of persistance to get him to try gluten free bread so I'd love to know how to encourage him to eat things I can make more quickly.

Sorry cant offer any advice but noticed that your post is quite old now and wondering how you're getting on and if there is any improvement?

Cheers xx