Forum home Family life & relationships Food & recipes
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Baby won't eat solids... any ideas?

My lo is 7 months. Been weaning since 51/2 months, on Anabel Karmel recipes, but have been trying him on banana and avocado over the last week, he mushes the banana but then spits it out, and won't even entertain avocado, tried apple but that was the same.

I have tried giving him quite big chunks, and little pieces to see what he preferred, but he wont eat anything that isn't pureed??

Anybody have any ideas?

Replies

• Options
    I wouldn't be too worried about giving him lumps yet, at that age my LO was still on mushy food & if he has anything lumpy then it has to be soft, but he will eat a little toast with marg on & baby biscuits or rice crackers (he hasn't had rice crakers in a while though as we realised they gave him bad trapped wind!) & if you give jars the age on the side is only a guide so don't rush onto the next stage, which I did & had to back track!
    My LO doesn't like eatting banana, everytime I try he just squeezes it between his fingers & squashes it the plate but he did then lick the plate! I haven't tried with Advacados as when I buy them they're not ripe (hard) & then I leave them too long so they have gone bad! (brown inside & mushy!)
    Also, at some point around this age my LO went off food & would only eat yoghurts or fruit purrees due to teething I think.
    Also, I had to keep remembering that my LO only had a few teeth so couldn't chew much! He's 1 now & has 6 teeth, I'm thinking of trying him with a sandwich soon, it'll probably go on the floor though! I have a friend whose LO has to have lumps/texture or he won't eat his food - you can't win!
    xxx
    http://bd.lilypie.com/F4kYp1/.png

• Options
    Hi girls, Paige is 6 mths and we had a bit of trouble with weanng when we started at about 4 1/2 mths. Paige has reflux ( not the bad screaming kind, just the annoying messy vomit 20 times a day kind) and when we started with the rice cereal and pureed veg at about 4 1/2 mths she started projectile vomiting.

Clinic sister said there's no rush (which i agree with, Paige is our 3rd) and to put away all solids until 6 mths.

Well we are at 6 mths now and we've hit another barrier, apparantly you can't teach an old dog new tricks, she just won't even try the things she started on 6 weeks ago. She wants the crust off my toasted baked bean and cheese sandwich and loves to lick the vegemite off my toast in the morning but is not interested in pureed pears and veg or rice cereal.

Do i just skip to first mush and start "real" food or start from scratch.

ps. i already have a 5 & 3 yo but they don't seem to follow any rules, lol.

Any help appreciated, Shell & Paige