Forum home Family life & relationships Food & recipes
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Lactose Intolerance - Colicky Symptoms

Hi. I have just come across this website and it has been extremely useful for me !
I had my 2nd baby 6 weeks ago, and we are going for our joint 6 weeks check this afternoon. He had been suffering from around 3 weeks old with colicky symptoms, so after discussing it with my health visitor, she suggested Infacol to bring the wind up. Tried this for a couple of days, with not much improvement, so, I switched to Dentinox colic drops. These smell like Gherkins ! You can either put them in the formula, or give afterwards. These were not much more help than the Infacol....so, back to the chemist I went, gripe water this time, 2 different sorts - 1 normal and 1 apple. My baby took them in a bottle but still not much improvement. I spoke to the health visitor again who suggested Colief - which is ??10 per tiny bottle - it breaks the lactose down in the milk - you have to add it to the feed. I tried this and there was a little bit more of an improvement. However, he started to bring milk up - not a huge projectile amount, but enough to get his babygro quite wet. By this time, the 2 hr sleeps etc were beginning to take their toll. The health visitor suggested Gaviscon !!!! I was really not happy with that, so looked on the internet at EVERYTHING I could get my hands on to do with reflux and colic. It then made sense that infact, my baby was Lactose Intolerant. I spoke to a different health visitor who said to get a Lactose Free milk. As I had a Caesarean, I could not drive so had to wait for my husband to return from work to take me to Boots. The only formula I could get was Cow and Gate Infasoy. I rang the HV the following day and said that this seemed to be working - he managed to get all the blocked wind in his gut out and was a lot more settled....she said not to leave him on it too long.....over the next few days he was so different, BUT after that, the diahorrea has returned, the sleeps are interrupted again and he is grumpy and windy too.....so, I rang the health visitor who said that he was going to have to be put on a prescription formula - Nutramigen.....Is there anyone else out there who has had the same symptoms ??

Replies

• Sounds exactly the same symptoms as Mollie had before my HV suggested she might be lactose intolerant. We too tried Infacol, gripe water and colief with limited success. HV suggested getting SMA LF formula which is ??5 for a small tin from chemists but it worked wonders for Mollie and you should be able to get in on prescription as its for health reasons.

Was bit worried when first started using it as Mollie was v constipated but think it was just her tummy getting used to formula milk. They do say to stick with a formula for a period of time as it takes baby time to get used to it.

Hope this helps, Liz