Forum home Family life & relationships Food & recipes
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Not a clue?!!

Hi everyone.

Now i am going to sound like the worlds most awful mother with what i am to say!!
My LO is 7 months 6 days old and has been having things like banana sunrise, med veg and cauliflower cheese (the dried stuff) since he was 3-4 months old. he has fromage frais and banana/strawberry custard too. However i dont know what else to feed him or when :\? . i missed my weaning group as harry was ill and they cant fit me in to another one so never got any advice and they are crap round here anyway!

i just need some ideas as to what else i can give him. he will not eat food out of a jar either. i have heard people talking about toast and bread with dairylee on it and stuff like that but i am convinced he will choke.
he has 2 teeth nearly all the way through but look like fangs!!
i am just worried that he isnt eating right and need some help/advice on what is easy to do. i cant be doing with fancy recipes im afraid as i jsut dont have enough time. i need quick and simple ideas!!

i have moved him onto the follow milk (sma red) and it says he should only be having 18oz's a day. this was my own choice as yet agian no info or help from health professionals.

hope someone can help me as i feel so stupid no knowing what to feed my son . :\(

Replies

• There is an Annabel Karmel book called The baby and Toddler meal planner that is really good. It has loads o recipies in it but it also has meal planners for different ages. I found it really useful when I was weaning Millie. I seem to remember at that age I started giving Millie little tiny pasta shapes (Anabel Karmel ones from boots) with smooth sauces, and things like cooked rice mixed with veg purees as well so she was getting a bit of texture in her food.
    Hope that helps a bit
    Kerry xx
  • Oh honey you're not stupid! If no one tells you what to feed him, how are you supposed to know? And you care about him so don't want to just give any old thing. HVs are generally useless anyway ...
    He's 7 months old, so that means he can eat pretty much anything - meat, fish, dairy, gluten, hard eggs etc - so I'd say just have fun with it! My LO is 6 and a half months and eats things like butternut squash and pear (his favourite), root veggies and cheese, it doesn't have to be complicated, you can just get a tin of tuna, mix with chopped tomatoes and potatoes and blend it all up. Like Bedhead suggested - Annabel Karmel books are fantastic and will be able to help more than I can!
    As for choking, I'm starting to give my LO a few lumps and finger foods and I am TERRIFIED of him choking! I sit there with him and if a big chunk goes in his mouth I fish it out again, which is totally stupid cos hes never going to learn how to chew! Apparently most (if not all) babies gag when they'er learning to eat, and they usually sort it out by themselves.
    Try not to get too worried about it, take it slowly and try to have fun! xxx :\)
  • hey,
    thanks for your replies, going to ahve a look at the annabel range and maybe get some of the small pasta shapes.

are we meant to then still blend all the food to a mushy paste? i had a dairylee traingle earlier and let him suck on it but then a huge bit fell off into his mouth and i was paranoid still!!
    i guess its all about learning isnt it. scary stuff being a mum!!
  • Hi Rach, firstly you are NOT an awful mother. Your little boy hasn't got to 7 months old on his own!!

My little boy (also Harry) is also 7 months old. Thankfully I have two v good HV's, You really need to buy a hand held blender thing - Asda and Tesco do them for about ??4! I started by steaming various veg (sweet pot, swede, parsnip, carrot, etc) separately, pureeing, and then freezing them in ice cube trays. You can then select the combination you want for each meal. You can also steam a chicken breast and puree with some of the water and freeze in ice cube trays. I also given him tuna, white fish, minced beef. He now really likes stuff with onions and tomatoes. Try chopping various veg such as those mentioned above with onions and boil in a little water with minced beef, potatoes, a squirt of tom puree or tinned toms, then puree - makes nice 'cottage pie'. He also like frozen peas in most things. Fish pie - boil white fish, peas and onions - puree. make white sauce - 1/2oz unsalted butter (melted), 1/2oz flour (add to butter), 1/2 pt milk (add to butter & flour), mild cheese (add). mix with fishy mixture. Also 'spag bol' - again boil various chopped veg (not potatoes) and minced beef and tom puree or tinned toms - puree. Either add cooked chopped pasta and puree (as he gets used to texture you can just chop the pasta) or use tiny pasta shapes - they're only about 60p a bag from Asda (over ??1 in Boots). Try him on some toast fingers - just stay with him while he has them. You can also try him on steamed carrot sticks, broccoli florets, sticks of cheese, cooked pasta quills. He also has cheese triangle sandwiches and tried marmite on toast this morning - I was surprised he really liked it. You should have been given a 'Birth to 5 years' book by your HV which has lots of stuff about weaning. If not ask for one. You can also add sultanas, dried apricots, etc to your concoctions and start adding herbs. I've just done a chicken, basmati rice, toms, onions, carrots and cinnamon thing - I'll let you know how that goes. I do hope this helps.:\)
  • wow bexterj i want to come and live with you!! i reckon im going to cut and paste all of that and print it off!! thank you so much for all the info.
    will have a look tommorrow when im shopping.
    xx
  • Hi Rach - me again.

Forgot to respond about the milk. Here's what I give my Harry, HV's are happy and he's gaining weight.

7.30/8am - Breakfast - rusk (I know they're naughty but he likes them and it keeps him quiet while I'm making his b'fast!), bowl packet porridgey stuff (sometimes with an 'ice cube' of pureed fruit - tinned strawbs, apples, pears, blueberries, etc), toast, booby milk.
    11am - 5oz formula milk
    12 noon - lunch - bowl 'stuff', fromage frais or fruity mush sometimes with custard, 1 round sandwich
    3pm - 5oz formula milk
    5pm - dinner - as per lunch but no sandwich
    6pm - bath
    6.30pm - booby milk
    7pm - bed
    8.30pm - 3-5 oz fomula milk

Again, hope this helps.

Bx:\)
  • Re: pasta

You can start by pureeing the pasta with all the other stuff - just use normal pasta as it's cheaper. Then start pureeing it for less time so it's lumpier. Then you can start adding some of the tiny cooked pasta stars to his meals after you've either pureed or mashed the rest. Let us know how it goes. Bx:\)
  • try him on bread and stuff and dont worry. just dont leave him alone while hes eating and he wont choke!
    jack wil be 1 next week and the day his first tooth came through at 10 months he had fish fingers!