Forum home Family life & relationships Food & recipes
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Tomatoes

Hi, just wondering if I still need to be removing seeds from tomatoes for my 7 month old. I use them a lot in cooking but its a pain to get rid of the seeds and you lose half the tomato. Also, is it ok to start using tinned tomatoes?

Replies

• Oh god I must be really crap at this weaning lark! I have never removed seeds or anything. Why do you have to do this?
    I have given him kiwi quite a few times intact with the seeds also tomatoes too (and tinned!!) Oop's am thinking I've done wrong now!

Sorry I'm of no help whatsoever hun..lol
  • hey, don't worry I'm also crap at the whole weaning thing! I only started doing it because I read it in the annabel karmel book. I made him a whole batch of something avec tomato seeds and then chucked the whole lot out because bloomin' karmel said remove the seeds! I assume it's because the seeds can't be digested but surely they'll just pass out causing no harm? Think I may not bother removing seeds in future. Sorry to worry you!.x
  • No that's fine I was just wondering why they say that. I guess it must just be the digestion thing but when I give him the kiwi the seeds they just pass straight through him.

Just shows how much notice I take cause I too have the AK books but didn't read it....dizzy lizzy!
  • hi there. my lo loves tomatoes. she is 16months and ive always gave them. ive never bothered removing seeds. also ive used tinned tomatoes for ages now but just watch the cheap ones my mil had some and they have sugar and salt in the ingredients. if you use the napoli ones the dont. hope this helps.xx
  • Hi

I too use tin tomatoes, funnily enough the same as Angielisa due to the contents of the others. I think you should be ok to use them now, my lo was 8 months when i introduced as i was fed up with removing seeds to as the AK stated you should so i did!!! i dont think it would do any harm but i was a worry wort and didnt take the risk!! but i dont bother now and she is 10months image xx have fun xx